Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #5326
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,319
I did a little more off-road riding today, sorry no pix. There's not a lot of accessible dirt roads around here but I found a couple to play on. I'm surprised at how well the bike works in the dirt. The engine just tractors so smoothly with great control and the suspension isn't too bad once you're up on the pegs and letting the bike do it's thing under you, dirt bike style. I do think I need better tires if I want to get a little more serious about it though, I could feel the traction limitations coming up quickly.

I'm starting to get comfortable throwing the big girl around a bit and I'm pleased with the results. The SW-M footpegs are helping me feel more comfortable off-road while standing for sure.

I'm starting to think about a set of K60s when the OEM tires wear out. Or possibly a set of cast wheels for street keeping the wire wheels for dirt. It looks pretty quick to swap rotors/ABS rings.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #5327
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I typically use a lot more front brake and very little rear brake. Maybe that's why I just noticed that my rear brake pedal seems spongy/ineffective. It works if I really press it, but it seems to need more pressure than I would expect. Do they all do that, or is it just in my head?
How many miles on it?

My '08 Norge rear brake would go "soft" on me after about 6k miles, just in time for the oil service, so I would just do a bleed w/ fresh fluid when I did my oil service and viola, fixed her right up and the pedal was as firm as new.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #5328
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
My '08 Norge rear brake would go "soft" on me after about 6k miles, just in time for the oil service, so I would just do a bleed w/ fresh fluid when I did my oil service and viola, fixed her right up and the pedal was as firm as new.
That seems rather odd.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #5329
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
That seems rather odd.
I agree, there's no good reason why it should go soft unless air is getting into the system.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 06-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #5330
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm often riding with motocross boots so I appreciate a less-sensitive rear brake.
It's definitely better in the dirt or on slippery pavement.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 06-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #5331
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
How many miles on it?

-SM
3,800 miles. But like I said, I it could have been like that from day one as I hardly use the rear.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #5332
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

I started working on relocating the luggage boxes.

I think I've found a pretty good location for them. It's essentially 2" back and 3.5" down with the top of the box running parallel to the top hoop and just slightly above it.

Here's some pix.

and here's how it looks with a passenger seated, comparing stock to relocated.

Let me know what you guys think of this positioning.

I wanted sufficient room/clearance to be able to mount soft bags, sleeping bags, etc. on top of the boxes if need be.

I still want to eventually move them in closer and with a different pipe it should be possible to move in nearly 2" per side I think. I wish the lids hinged out instead of forward. It's so much more useful.

Has anybody tried to replace the luggage lock cylinders? I'd like to find some that will allow for closing without the key and aren't so fricken fiddly. Mine are really fiddly and stubborn even with lubing. I don't mind having to lock the latches that hold the boxes to the racks but I'd really like to be able to open/close the lid latches without needing the key each time.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #5333
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,634
Don't know how hard you ride, but the lower bags are going to drag...

For reference, what is the height and inseam of that passenger? She looks pretty small.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #5334
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
That seems rather odd.
Maybe so, but it was pretty common for that model/year. Lots of info about it over at WildGuzzi and GuzziTech.

Anyway, to the OP, if you aren't satisfied w/ the rear brake on your Stelvio and it only has 3800 miles on it, my recommendation is to take it to your dealer and have them look at it. In general, the rear brake on the Stelvio is excellent, and should work very well. If it doesn't, it may have never been properly bled at the factory or there could be some other issue. Let the dealer worry about it. If you aren't close to a dealer, and the brake is really not working to your liking, I still suggest a bleed w/ fresh fluid to see if that makes it better.

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 12:12 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #5335
MotoG5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
NTX Road Pegs

Spent the last three days on the NTX. It would be nice to have a set of road pegs to add on when doing long distance miles. Over all the bike was plenty comfortable but a means to stretch out the old knees once in a while would be a good touch. Anyone done it? As always any input is greatly appreciated.
MotoG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #5336
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Don't know how hard you ride, but the lower bags are going to drag...

For reference, what is the height and inseam of that passenger? She looks pretty small.
I've given some consideration to the bags dragging during hard cornering. I compared the position to the bags on my Vstrom which I've never dragged. It appears the new setup on the Stelvio requires a greater lean angle before they drag so I think I'm OK. Maybe more aggressive riders might have some concern, but I think you're way out on the chicken strips before they touch down.

I really don't understand why Guzzi mounted the boxes so dang high. I want to get the luggage weight lower down.

My passenger is petite, 5' 2" and ~115 lbs. I don't know her inseam. You can see how close her leg is to the box in the standard position, a larger passenger would be hitting the corner for sure and maybe the front of the box.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 06-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #5337
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
My passenger is petite, 5' 2" and ~115 lbs. I don't know her inseam. You can see how close her leg is to the box in the standard position, a larger passenger would be hitting the corner for sure and maybe the front of the box.
A passenger with longer legs would be less likely to hit the box.

But as long as the pegs will touch down before the bags (remember to take into account suspension compression while cornering), then it'll be fine.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #5338
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,820
I also put the SW-Motech pegs on mine last night and do like the feel of the bigger pegs. They do tilt forward quite a bit but it is not noticable when riding. It might even be better so when you get up on the pegs it makes you lean forwared more.

Now I just need to get the highway pegs and ape hangers installed and it will be all ready to go. JK:

Marc
Old 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #5339
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 451
Marc, are you going to install the fishtail pipes too? Single fishtail will look odd but I know you can figure a way to do duals. Then you can do a 'Captain America' tank and call it a day.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #5340
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellbandit View Post
Shock rebound is controlled by this screw.

If the bike is on its center stand, the screw is blocked by the linkage, so I used the side stand. It was still blocked, but I was able to adjust it by pulling down on the passenger peg lightly to clear the linkage, but BE CAREFUL not to pull the bike over on yourself. If you have an assistant to sit on the bike, that would be a better way to go. As we rode, I softened the compression on the shock by an additional 3 clicks (total 25 clicks of the knob from fully loosened), and left rebound alone.
I'll have to see if I can get enough of the rebound adjustment screw exposed to adjust it without dropping the link down.

I adjusted mine to about 1 1/2 turns out from full in and it's seems about right but I haven't had a chance to ride it 2 up yet. It's certainly much better solo. I think it was near full out with hardly any rebound. On my first ride it didn't seem too bad but it really "loosened up" the more I rode it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellbandit View Post
The Lovely Laura -

Hope someone out there finds this useful.
Great shot out in the Delta, I love riding there on my PWCs. My Bro & Wife live in Disco Bay.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S