Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #5386
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookoutMountainTiger View Post
My 2" adjustable dampening riser's arrived today and I am in the process of fitting them and have a question about fitting the cable's behind the triple tree, can you snake the whole control system down and then back out behind the tree or do have to unhook the cable's from the master cylinder etc. I already have the control's disconnected and it does not look to be much room in there.

I hope that made sense. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I only moved the throttle cables when I installed my Rox Risers. I unhooked them from the grip and re-routed them.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #5387
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookoutMountainTiger View Post
My 2" adjustable dampening riser's arrived today and I am in the process of fitting them and have a question about fitting the cable's behind the triple tree, can you snake the whole control system down and then back out behind the tree or do have to unhook the cable's from the master cylinder etc. I already have the control's disconnected and it does not look to be much room in there.

I hope that made sense. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
The alternative is to remove the front wheel, loosen the clamps on the right fork leg, and slide it down to make it easy to reroute whatever you need without disconnecting anything.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #5388
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,906
I pulled the top triple clamp.

It's very easy and quick to do but you need a 14mm hex driver for the large center bolt. It's a fine thread so be a bit careful with it. The hex socket bolts on either side are more normal sizes.

You can remove the risers with everything in place by using a long extension and coming up at the nut from the bottom
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #5389
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

I'm considering Guzzitech's ECU reflash. I've read through most of this thread for feedback plus other places I could find. Generally it seemed positive.

I have a few questions for those who have done it, and this is for the ECU reflash only, not the whole PCV/AT setup.

1. What was your MPG change after doing it? I've read some improved and thought I'd seen some go down.

2. Did it cure the cold start/die at the first intersection issue. In other words, make it run like a fuel injected bike should run when cold.

3. How was the throttle response improvement from just off idle up to say 1/3 throttle? I find it pretty fluffy in that range and am hoping to get some serious improvement there. At larger openings the stock mapping is not too bad.

4. Did you notice if the engine ran cooler or possibly gave off less heat?

5. Would you do it again?

I have a pretty good understanding of the whole thing but I'm looking for real world experience feedback. I could live with the stock mapping, it's not horrible, but if there's sufficient improvement without a huge MPG hit I'm interested.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 06-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #5390
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Just the reflash will give you 100% improvement. The whole nine yards;200%. Seriously. It will fix your low end problems. You will notice cooler running. No gas mileage improvement as you will be running richer.
What else can I say? Real happy with the whole nine yards.
Oh ya,and these bikes? They need it.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #5391
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Rideability and fueling are much better but my gas mileage went down.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Old 06-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #5392
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Just the reflash will give you 100% improvement. The whole nine yards;200%. Seriously. It will fix your low end problems. You will notice cooler running. No gas mileage improvement as you will be running richer.
What else can I say? Real happy with the whole nine yards.
Oh ya,and these bikes? They need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Rideability and fueling are much better but my gas mileage went down.
Thanks guys, that's kinda what I thought.

I didn't expect any increase in MPG as of course to fix the problems you are adding in fuel the EPA asked to be taken out. It's not going to run cooler without adding in more fuel either.

What would you estimate the MPG hit to be? I know I took a hit on my Vstrom when I remapped it. I don't mind some reduction but I'm hopping it's not putting me in the bottom '30s mpg range. High 30's is pretty much what I expect of it's not crazy rich. I don't think I'm breaking 40 MPG much stock.

Also, I don't know how adjustable it is like a Power Commander that you can go back in and take fuel away if you want to improve MPG some. It seems like the reflash is pretty much a one time deal, love it or leave it.

I was thinking to eventually go with the "whole 9 yards" (reflash + PCV/AT)but stage it out some, it's expensive. Some where I need to find some $$$ for a slip-on pipe.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 06-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #5393
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

I would guess I lost 3-5 mpg. If I baby the throttle (which is hard to do) and shift around 4,000 rpm I can get in the upper 30's....some highway and some back roads.I'm guessing steady highway I could get in the low 40's
I also have a Mistral CF can.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #5394
GT-Rx
Guzzi freak

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
http://forum.guzzitech.com/store/pro...ory_pathway-16
GuzziTech sells the Matris stuff. I see they also have fork cartridges. If I were spending money on suspension (besides new seals and bushings, which I still have to install again ), I think I would start with the forks.
Thanks James. The stock rear shock is horrific for anyone over 170 lbs with gear on. The spring is weak, as is the valving. The forks are OK up to the weight noted.
I've spent more then half my life racing on Penske and Ohlins. Matris is on par or above, especially in the product build quality (second to none). I am running their products on everything I own/can. The fork kit is only for the '11+ Stelvio with 45mm forks. The '09-10 50mm forks are not serviceable, but can be re-sprung.
If you want the knobbed pre-load adjuster, Penske will add yours from the stock shock if you want to send it to them. If you order through me, I have extras. The Penske 8983 is a really nice shock too. Feel free to contact me direct e-mail with any questions; Todd at GuzziTech.com or via my website as GT-Rx.

GT-Rx screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 05:36 PM
GT-Rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #5395
GT-Rx
Guzzi freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I'm considering Guzzitech's ECU reflash. I've read through most of this thread for feedback plus other places I could find. Generally it seemed positive.
Eighty-eight posts on the topic here; http://forum.guzzitech.com/forum/235/4129

More then most experience equal or better mileage post re-flash. More power at lower RPMs and cooler running. This time of year with warmer OATs, the mileage should be pretty decent (low 40s) on steady throttle cruise on the freeways, but not playing in the hills. I beat on mine all the time and get mid to upper 30s. I've gotten upper 40's on my 2500 mile trip last year running at (ahem) not so legal speeds. The 8V is a thirsty mill, especially at higher speeds/RPMs. If you want to focus only on MPGs, perhaps these mods are not for you. If you want cooler running, crisp throttle response and no annoyances, you won't be disappointed.

As our many e-mail volleys have stated... You're close, come experience it yourself. Money back if you're not happy.

GT-Rx screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 05:38 PM
Old 06-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #5396
GT-Rx
Guzzi freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
I would guess I lost 3-5 mpg. If I baby the throttle (which is hard to do) and shift around 4,000 rpm I can get in the upper 30's....some highway and some back roads. I'm guessing steady highway I could get in the low 40's. I also have a Mistral CF can.
If the air temps are above 75º and you're still getting that low MPGs, send it back and I'll try another correction.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #5397
GT-Rx
Guzzi freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Just the reflash will give you 100% improvement. The whole nine yards;200%. Seriously. It will fix your low end problems. You will notice cooler running. What else can I say? Real happy with the whole nine yards. Oh ya,and these bikes? They need it.
Thanks Doug. Yes, they really benefit from cooler running and more power at ALL RPMs.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #5398
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Rx View Post
If the air temps are above 75º and you're still getting that low MPGs, send it back and I'll try another correction.
I'll send you a PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #5399
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for all the feedback Todd.

It's good to know about the hand knob preload swap option on the Penske shock. I can see a better rear shock in the future but it will have to have compression and rebound adjustment plus hand preload adjustment and built well enough to last at least 5 years with no rebuilding. But I've got to work down the improvement list in order of how much things piss me off and how much they cost to fix. Shocks are bloody expensive......

As for MPG questions on the ECU reflash, it's not my primary concern, but probably the only possible downside so I'm attempting to quantify it. I pretty much expect a 3-5 MPG loss but hoping it's not 10 MPG. If it stayed equal to stock I'd be overly stoked.

I'm also glad to hear you're willing to work with the customer to get it right if it's not the first time. I'm used to working with a Power Commander where I can make adjustments myself if need be.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be dropping by soon.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #5400
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Thanks for all the feedback Todd.
+1 Todd. I'm also thinking of the ECU reflash and adding the Mistral Carbon Oval.

If just adding the Mistral, is it only a bolt-on of the new pipe, no other mods required?

Thanks,
Rick