Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #5611
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
To stop the rattling put some thin, dense, self adhesive foam rubber weather stripping on the boxes. That way it doesn't show when they're not on the bike.
I agree, I think that is the best approach.

What do you guys think of the finish? I'm considering powder coating them silver to match the frame. I have to compare the cost of powder coating vs anodizing. I will leave mine bare aluminum for now, but 6061 will eventually start to corrode, especially if ridden in winter conditions.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #5612
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I will try the Laminar Lip on the stock windscreen. They offer a 30 day trial period so I guess there's not too much to loose.
Has anybody tried the actual Laminar Lip brand of airfoil? I have seen references to different ones but I don't recall this brand. I opted for it because they offer one specific to the '12+ Stelvio and a 30 day trial period.

The downside appears to be minimal flexibility in angle adjustment. I'm thinking I'll start with their attachment method and go from there, possibly working out some way to adjust angle if need be, and possibly ending up with machined clear plastic mounting blocks with tapped holes once the right position is settled on. I sure hope it works out of the box.....

I think mine is due in Tuesday, I hope.......
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 06-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #5613
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Black Powder coat or raw unfinished preferably is my vote

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #5614
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,196
Quote:
Has anybody tried the actual Laminar Lip brand of airfoil? I have seen references to different ones but I don't recall this brand.
I used a Laminar Lip on my K1200RS with the K1200GT windscreen and it was very effective in raising the airflow above my head at highway speeds without increasing the height of the windshield at all.

Haven't used one on the Stelvio at all; the CalSci Medium works well enough for me.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #5615
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,822
I have used the Laminar lip on four different bikes. What I found in every casr was that it moved the airflow up about 3 inches in all cases. Of course that could be because I mounted it the same way on each bike.

Marc
Old 06-24-2013, 01:33 AM   #5616
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Laminar Lip

I used the Laminar Lip on a previous bike which had a buffeting problem. I mounted the lip so it was almost even with the stock windscreen (which isn't how they suggested mounting it they wanted suggested mounting it higher but I didn't want to look through it). Even in the lower position it smoothed the air noticeably -- it wasn't perfect but quite tolerable.

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #5617
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Has anybody tried the actual Laminar Lip brand of airfoil?
I have one on my 08 Stelvio. It calms things down - the high speed ride is quieter and with less buffeting. I haven't changed screen angle much to get the best from it yet. It's a definite improvement, but the tall Givi I had was a bit better, albeit much taller!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #5618
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've got my fingers crossed it does the trick for me and my passenger.

According to UPS tracking mine should show up today so hopefully I can get it mounted tonight.

Any hints on best location? Is the adhesive approach suitably secure? It seems a bit scary but maybe it's fine.....
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 06-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #5619
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,196
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've got my fingers crossed it does the trick for me and my passenger.

According to UPS tracking mine should show up today so hopefully I can get it mounted tonight.

Any hints on best location? Is the adhesive approach suitably secure? It seems a bit scary but maybe it's fine.....
on the KRS, I mounted mine so it was close to flush with the stock GT screen, but the curvature of the screen and the curvature of the lip made it pretty obvious that it was intended to work best in that position. The adhesive mounting worked fine, no need to worry about it coming off.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #5620
Lucidor
Beasty Boy

Oddometer: 77
What was your rationale?

Hi,

I’m currently researching my next bike to be sourced within a year or so (I like to plan ahead). I have been riding the old Yamaha XTZ750 Super Ténéré -95 for many years, and although I still love the bike, it feels old, and the comfort on longer tours is lacking. It is surprisingly good off road, but in reality I drive mostly tarmac and gravel, and only occasionally double tracks. I almost never do trails.

So my requirements are: comfort for long days in the saddle, loading capacity for camping, long suspension for bad roads (tarmac and gravel), good range, reliability, low rev torque, and shaft drive (I’m tired of the messy chain). So I have my mind set to a big adventure bike, and have narrowed it down to the new(er) Yamaha XT1200Z, and the Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX. The BMW R1200GS is a match in theory, but for some reason I can’t convince myself to like it, perhaps because everyone’s got one. The Triumph Explorer and the Honda Crosstourer are both too road biased.

Typical type of road that I enjoy exploring

I did test drive the Stelvio and I really liked it, especially the engine. The gears shifted smooth like butter, but gear shifter had a rather long stroke. The turn signal was fuzzy and the feedback vague. The left cylinder did warm my leg up. All minor details that I imagine just take some time getting used to. Overall, it made a very good impression. I have a test drive of the Yamaha booked today for comparison.

I’m interested to hear from other buyers who faced the same choice between the big adventure bikes, and the reasons why you settled with the Guzzi (or why you decided against it). I have ridden Japanese bikes all my life, and I kind of know what to expect, but Italian bikes are unknown territory; sexy, but with a perceived danger. It's a bit like hesitating about approaching that super hot chick in the bar! I tend to keep by bikes for many years, and don't want to end up broke and unhappy.

Lucidor screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 01:47 AM
Lucidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #5621
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I did have problems with the adhesive approach -- it came loose once -- I reattached it and it seemed OK -- but once I decided that it was working as intneded I drilled small holes attached it with small screws as well.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #5622
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidor View Post
Hi,

I’m currently researching my next bike to be sourced within a year or so (I like to plan ahead). I have been riding the old Yamaha XTZ750 Super Ténéré -95 for many years, and although I still love the bike, it feels old, and the comfort on longer tours is lacking. It is surprisingly good off road, but in reality I drive mostly tarmac and gravel, and only occasionally double tracks. I almost never do trails.

So my requirements are: comfort for long days in the saddle, loading capacity for camping, long suspension for bad roads (tarmac and gravel), good range, reliability, low rev torque, and shaft drive (I’m tired of the messy chain). So I have my mind set to a big adventure bike, and have narrowed it down to the new(er) Yamaha XT1200Z, and the Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX. The BMW R1200GS is a match in theory, but for some reason I can’t convince myself to like it, perhaps because everyone’s got one. The Triumph Explorer and the Honda Crosstourer are both too road biased.

Typical type of road that I enjoy exploring

I did test drive the Stelvio and I really liked it, especially the engine. The gears shifted smooth like butter, but gear shifter had a rather long stroke. The turn signal was fuzzy and the feedback vague. The left cylinder did warm my leg up. All minor details that I imagine just take some time getting used to. Overall, it made a very good impression. I have a test drive of the Yamaha booked today for comparison.

I’m interested to hear from other buyers who faced the same choice between the big adventure bikes, and the reasons why you settled with the Guzzi (or why you decided against it). I have ridden Japanese bikes all my life, and I kind of know what to expect, but Italian bikes are unknown territory; sexy, but with a perceived danger. It's a bit like hesitating about approaching that super hot chick in the bar! I tend to keep by bikes for many years, and don't want to end up broke and unhappy.

I had also narrowed my choices down to the 1200 Tenere or the Stelvio NTX. They are both nice bikes and I don't think you could go wrong with either. For me the deciding factors where 1) I preferred the handling characteristics of the Guzzi. 2) I prefer to do my own maintainance and the Guzzi is easier to do that on. 3) For me the Guzzi is more comfortable. 4) I prefer the looks of the Guzzi and it does have a lot more character. I do worry about the small dealer network here in the states since it is our two up tourer.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #5623
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
For me it was down to the GSA or the Stelvio as the Yamaha and Triumph were not available yet. So after riding the two my take was this...... They are equally capable and the performance is nearly identical however how they get there is totally different. I found the BMW is a very refined machine where the Guzzi is very visceral. I felt much more connected to the bike on the Guzzi. The GSA just felt too much like an appliance and as such just doesn't inspire any affection.
As far as maintenance goes both are "simple" to work on at least until the water boxer version of the BMW.
The Guzzi are seen as at least as long lasting as the BMW so that wasn't a deciding factor.
They really are very different to ride so pick the one that feels best to you and go for it. Be aware that both of these require setting up and tweeking to run their best. Every demo bike I have ever ridden was far from being well set up so keep that in mind. Lol
76 k in 4 seasons here in Canada and no issues on my Stelvio so I am well pleased with it. Long hauls and commuting it just works with comfort.
The Tracks boxes could be more robust but that applies to both bikes. Lol

Good luck deciding!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #5624
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
I had also narrowed my choices down to the 1200 Tenere or the Stelvio NTX. They are both nice bikes and I don't think you could go wrong with either. For me the deciding factors where 1) I preferred the handling characteristics of the Guzzi. 2) I prefer to do my own maintainance and the Guzzi is easier to do that on. 3) For me the Guzzi is more comfortable. 4) I prefer the looks of the Guzzi and it does have a lot more character. I do worry about the small dealer network here in the states since it is our two up tourer.
Good points, but the small dealer network doesn't really bother me. Hell, I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra an employee drives that's been in the shop for a week now waiting on a small, cheap electrical connector that's on back order. Good grief, what a POS.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #5625
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
I had also narrowed my choices down to the 1200 Tenere or the Stelvio NTX. They are both nice bikes and I don't think you could go wrong with either.
That is where I ended up also. I test rode all except the KTM 990 ADV. Of the bunch I liked the S10 and Stelvio the best. The BMW works well, no doubt, but I'd already spent 30 years riding a boxer and I wanted something with a more inspiring engine and less complication than the late model BMWs. The Triumph Explorer was OK, but I preferred the Tiger 800 over it, both feel like street bikes to me, especially in the ergos.

In many ways the Tenere might be a better pick for the masses, excellent dealer support, uber reliable, works pretty well out of the box, and it's a known quantity when it comes time to sell. But..... it sort of left me cold when I rode it and I really don't care for all the plastic covering it. I wanted to get away from that, didn't care for it on the Vstrom either. I like basic motorcycles that look like motorcycles and are easy to work on.

So factors that swung me in favor or the Stelvio were;

1. MUCH more inspiring engine, it's exciting to ride.

2. MUCH easier to work on.

3. Larger fuel tank, both bikes get about the same mpg, stock or remapped. So more range with the NTX.

4. The Guzzi did NOT have ride by wire, I HATE how the stock ride by wire setup feels on the S10, it's my #1 dislike on that bike. Apparently it can be fixed via a reflash. In general I prefer direct cable connect.

5. The ABS and traction control are very easy to turn off on the Guzzi and "nearly" impossible on the Tenere. This was important for me.

Those are the key decision factors for me.

Both bikes weigh nearly the same when compared apples to apples. The Yamaha is cheaper "stock" but about the same or more when similarly outfitted. I do like the choice of not having to buy the luggage though. I would have preferred to not buy the Guzzi luggage and reuse the Happy Trails panniers I had already.

The dealership thing isn't huge for me. I do my own work and have found that 90% of the time I've gone into a Japanese dealer they didn't have what I needed in stock anyway, so what's the difference if you have to order it? It would be the same on the road, I'd just order the parts from a good Guzzi dealer and have it shipped. Try going into a Japanese dealer and ask for a key part, they won't have it in stock. I couldn't even buy stock replacement levers or mirrors for my DRZ400, order items..... try it sometime.

Most decent mechanics can work on a Guzzi with their eyes closed, the only unique thing would be if you need to connect to the diagnostics which an indy mechanic wouldn't have. About the thing you need that for is a TPS reset which isn't critical.

In the end you have to buy the one that puts a smile on your face and checks off the boxes that are important to you.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S