Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #5641
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I have a project for you special people out there.

I have noticed while riding on dirt raods and trails that rocks keep making really weird noises as they get forced between the front fender and tire. I don't really want a high fender but someone make a kit to raise it about an inch.

Marc
+1

Just and inch would make a big difference. I worry about tearing the thing off.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #5642
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I bypassed both the clutch & side stand switches last night. I made short jumper leads with the corresponding terminals and plugged them into the connectors and put shrink tubing on it to keep it secure.
I hope this is just a temporary mod. Four years ago I had the unfortunate experience of watching a friend crash his Multistrada when he took off without putting the sidestand up. He had disabled the safety switch. The crash almost killed him. About 3 weeks ago this happened to another guy at our Ducati rally in West Virginia...this time on an ST2 but otherwise exactly the same problem and outcome.

Peter Y.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #5643
swmckinley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Welcome Tex and Bundy. I am sure you will find the NTX to your liking. I have put 16,000 miles on mine since last September. I think you will pleased given your mission parameters. What type of dog is Bundy? and can you post a pic?
swmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #5644
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Redux (but hopefully not redundant): AUX lamps.

99% of my riding is on roadway, with another 1% on secondary roads - gravel/dirt - no sand or trails.

Is the problem with the A.L's due to the bouncing of the bike on off roading, or is it due to the vibration of the bike in general?

Will it short if the lights are not on?

TIA.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #5645
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oca View Post
Redux (but hopefully not redundant): AUX lamps.
99% of my riding is on roadway, with another 1% on secondary roads - gravel/dirt - no sand or trails.
Is the problem with the A.L's due to the bouncing of the bike on off roading, or is it due to the vibration of the bike in general?
Will it short if the lights are not on?
TIA.
The AUX lamps will only be a problem if you turn them on when shorted. The lamps can be a problem anywhere you ride due to vibration. The extra lamp wire should be curled up in the lamp boot, not in the metal housing.

I made some in-line fuses to help eliminate this as a deal-breaker:
http://stelviontx.blogspot.com/2013/05/fog-lamp-fuse-holder.html

Buy the parts and you can too...(or PM me for one more set)
Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #5646
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
+1

Just and inch would make a big difference. I worry about tearing the thing off.
I looked at this last night, it wouldn't be terribly hard to make up some extension brackets to move it up. It needs to move up about 1" to sidestep the existing holes. The brackets could be done in flat bar with spacers or machined from billet.

I don't see anything obstructing the higher position.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #5647
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
The AUX lamps will only be a problem if you turn them on when shorted. The lamps can be a problem anywhere you ride due to vibration.
Yes, vibration is the culprit here, big time. Those suckers vibrate like hell out there, I'm amazed they last at all. Put your hand on one while riding on the freeway, you will understand the problem.

I'd highly recommend Kirb's fuse kit if you're going to use them.

Personally I have decided to remove mine for now and come up with a better lighting solution later. The Hella lights weigh a ton and take a lot of juice, just listen to the bike at idle when you turn them on, it will slow down just a bit. I'd like some much lighter LED lights that draw less current. I want to rework the mounting to be rubber mounted.

I found the bike to be a bit smoother without them on. They do make it nicer for riding twisty roads at night.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #5648
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Today...... this is where it's headed.

http://rideapart.com/2010/10/the-fac...witchable-abs/
Quote:
“Today the on/off button for ABS is permitted by the EU legislation. In the present text of the new proposal there is no mention of prohibiting it. The Commission has no intention to prohibit it, on the contrary. FEMA is drawing attention on a feature that nobody had the intention to prohibit,”
So it isn't on the cards to legislate against an off button...

But somantics aside - we agree, less electronica, more cast iron please!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #5649
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
The AUX lamps will only be a problem if you turn them on when shorted. The lamps can be a problem anywhere you ride due to vibration. The extra lamp wire should be curled up in the lamp boot, not in the metal housing.

Thank you.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #5650
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,352
Quote:

BTW: These are built perfectly and took me about 10 minutes to install. Fantastic addition to any bike.

Marc
Old 06-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #5651
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I tried the MRA spoiler on my NTX windscreen...did not like it. I was using the clamp attachment and that added enough weight that the whole rig was ungainly..lots of bouncing around in the windstream. I'd like to get rid of the spoiler..make me an offer and don't even bother to be generous.

Peter Y.
Just to add another opinion to this discussion, I really like my MRA Xcreen. I too have the clamp on version, but will be permanently attaching it to the stock windscreen. As Peter said, the clamps are VERY heavy (they feel like solid steel ) so it adds a lot of weight to the top of the screen. Over rough roads it makes the spoiler really wobble. But the spoiler does such a good job for me in removing the last bit of buffeting, I'll just bolt it directly to the screen (it's made to be used either way, direct bolt on or w/ the optional clamps, your choice). I've just been a chicken re. drilling my screen, but oh well, how bad can I mess it up???

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #5652
Tex n Bundy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmckinley View Post
Welcome Tex and Bundy. I am sure you will find the NTX to your liking. I have put 16,000 miles on mine since last September. I think you will pleased given your mission parameters. What type of dog is Bundy? and can you post a pic?
Hi Mate and thankyou for the welcome. Bundy is a 7y.o. Australian Cattle Dog Stumpy Tail or Smithfield as they are sometimes known as. (ACD Smithfield) She is also a qualified Assistance Dog.
I will post up some pic's later today after I have taken delivery of the bike. However, if u can enlarge my Avatar u will see Bundy hanging over the front of my 'Busa. If u do Facebook: Tex & Bundy Charity Fundraisers.
www.texandbundy.com.au

Cheers, Tex.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #5653
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Just to add another opinion to this discussion,......
I've been testing the Laminar Lip extension most of this week. My conclusion is that it's a small improvement but certainly not as much as I'd hoped for. Given the positions of the adhesive mounts I could only mount it approx. 3/4" above the stock screen. I'd like to make some mounts for it that allowed you to change the angle of it like some of the others.

I'm still trying different screen height positions. I'm currently liking the full down position. I've only had a chance to try it 2 up once and I had it in the 3/4 up position. My wife thought it was an improvement. It did seem to work better with both of us on it than solo, interesting.

I will leave this on for our trip as I'm tired of messing with the windshield and it's generally acceptable but certainly not where I'd like it yet.

We'll find out how it works over varying conditions very soon.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S

danketchpel screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 08:06 AM
Old 06-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #5654
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,125
Screens are a big PITA for me also. I ran the laminar lip on my K1200GT, thought it was the best, hit cross winds going into Colorada once and I thought it was going to tear the whole thing off before I got past the big winds!

The extra weight was not good in those conditions but it did survive.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #5655
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

This is my final handlebar setup. I liked the geometry I got using the Precision Racing anti-shock mounts plus the ROX risers anti-vibe mounts. The problem I had with the PR mounts was there was too much movement of the bars for my tastes and I couldn't get a tight enough clamping on the ROX risers to keep them from occasionally moving.

I found the ROX mounts were the ones really doing the job at reducing the vibes, so I machined a solid set of intermediate riser blocks to match the geometry of the PR mounts and made a couple improvements while I was at it.

This complete geometry setup sets the stock bars approximately 1/2"up and 1/2" back from stock. Of course that's a function of where you set the ROX risers at. One of my goals was to have some adjustment of that final position.

This setup gives a much more solid feeling connection to the handlebars but still cancels out the vibes quite well. You do have to play with the compression nut on the ROX risers to find the best setting for you. It's a coarse thread so as little as 1/4 turn will make a difference.

00 Suzi DRZ400-S