Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #5701
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post

I would love to find a tire that would go 10,000 miles.
I know they are not for everyone, BUT when I bought the bike from Blakebird he had just put a new tire on the rear with 10,000 miles on it. It is even on display at the dealer. It was a K60 scout. NOTE: on the K60 do not run more than 36lbs of pressure. I was told that if you run the higher pressures that they can delaminate. This is just what I have been told, but running that pressure a good solid 10K miles was had on a rear tire that included a lot of two up. I just replaced the front tire with over 12K miles on it. So it is the K60 for me. They handle great on the pavement and so far have performed very well for me in the dirt.

Of course I am a little old gray hair man that rides like a wuss.

Marc
Old 07-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #5702
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I know they are not for everyone, BUT when I bought the bike from Blakebird he had just put a new tire on the rear with 10,000 miles on it. It is even on display at the dealer. It was a K60 scout. NOTE: on the K60 do not run more than 36lbs of pressure. I was told that if you run the higher pressures that they can delaminate. This is just what I have been told, but running that pressure a good solid 10K miles was had on a rear tire that included a lot of two up. I just replaced the front tire with over 12K miles on it. So it is the K60 for me. They handle great on the pavement and so far have performed very well for me in the dirt.

Of course I am a little old gray hair man that rides like a wuss.

Marc
It might be worth a try I guess....I'm a gray beard too but must have throttle control issues
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #5703
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
You may want to look at the Michelin Anakee 3's. I put a set on my NTX as replacements for the OEM Pirelli's. Not a block tread pattern (like the Torrance, 705's or Scorpion Trails) but with staggered, cross-tire grooves.

My riding is mostly highway mileage and the first trip with the Anakee's was to the recent Guzzi Rally in Ouray, CO -- 3800 miles, solo but heavily loaded, lots of slab, high temps, mostly running above 75 MPH. The wear on the rear looks good and I'm hoping for 10K on it. Will know by the end of August how long it will last.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #5704
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
You may want to look at the Michelin Anakee 3's. I put a set on my NTX as replacements for the OEM Pirelli's. Not a block tread pattern (like the Torrance, 705's or Scorpion Trails) but with staggered, cross-tire grooves.

My riding is mostly highway mileage and the first trip with the Anakee's was to the recent Guzzi Rally in Ouray, CO -- 3800 miles, solo but heavily loaded, lots of slab, high temps, mostly running above 75 MPH. The wear on the rear looks good and I'm hoping for 10K on it. Will know by the end of August how long it will last.
That would be remarkable. I never get much over 6k out of any rear tire. I've had a set of K-60's in the garage for 10 months that I'll slap on next week. They are supposed to be a lifetime tire.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #5705
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Steve,

The K-60's have a good following. I stopped in the Fort Collins dealer (Beemers and More) on my recent trip west. There were three customer NTX's there (including the owners'). All three had K-60's mounted. They also had three new NTX's on the floor, plus a couple of V7's and a 1400 California. Nice place.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #5706
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
I've run 4 sets of the Shinko 705's on my Stelvio at manufacturers recommended pressures and have never had a problem and I get 7500 good miles out of them.

Having said that, I absolutely love the Heidenau's K60's I have on now.
Could you or anybody else compare how the bike rides between the 705s & K60s? Now that I've put a little over 800 miles on the 705s I have some feel for them, but pavement only. They aren't bad and no signs of chunking or delams yet. They feel better at higher speeds.

If the K60s ride about the same on the pavement, probably better in the dirt, and last significantly longer I'd be interested next time around.

Do you guys run K60s front & rear?

If I don't end up in the dirt much I might go with something like a Pilot Road 3 Trail. That "seems" pretty well matched to how I envision using the bike.

I really need to pull the luggage off and take her out for a good fire road ride on the 705s and see what I think. I know I'm gonna be wishing for more rear shock.....

I do really love how the 705s look on the bike
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #5707
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Sounds like a great trip!

Please tell me you're going to do a ride report....with pics!!!

-SM
Yes, please do a ride report with at least a few pix.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 07-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #5708
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,437
Expensive Guzzi day. I decided to have a pro do the 12K service on the Stelvio, bought a front fender extender and rear hugger, Bought an extra oil change kit for next time and a gallon of oil for a BMW change I need to do soon. The bike ran like a Mad ape before but it now runs like a scalded mad Ape.

Oh yea I also dropped my Eldorado off because a final drive seal started leaking. More expense to come. Not to mention the 100 mile round trip and gas for that.

Gawd I love motorcycles.

BTW: I usually do all my own maintenance but did want the 12K service done by the experts and really did not feel like diving into the final drive.

I almost could have bought a new bike for what I spent. Not really.

But I did offer to trade the guy both of my Eldorado's and my R1150RT for a new V7 Racer. We came close but no cigar.

Marc
Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #5709
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
But I did offer to trade the guy both of my Eldorado's and my R1150RT for a new V7 Racer. We came close but no cigar.

Marc
I'm glad the Stelvio runs even better now.

Have you ridden the V7 Racer?

I test rode a V7 stone and wasn't impressed with it. Stock it vibrates quite a bit, more than I would tolerate. Todd E told me it smoothes out big time with a reflash. He had one in his shop when I did my ECU reflash.

I love the way the V7 racer looks but I'd buy a Thruxton 900 myself. I was impressed with how that bike rode.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 07-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #5710
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
danketchpel --

Did you happen to get a couple of private messages from me -- one responding to your questions on Triumphs and another concerning the sidecase adapters you are developing. Not sure if my private messages are going through or not. Please let me know if you received them.

Thanks!

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #5711
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Ditto
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #5712
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Expensive Guzzi day. I decided to have a pro do the 12K service on the Stelvio,.....

Marc
Marc, I'm surprised to see a comment about the cost of the 12K service. I'm guessing that the Eldo service is where your real expense fell. Other than balancing the TBs and resetting the TPS your 12K service should only be a couple hours labor and, of course, the parts/fluid. Man, I can still remember the 12K on a Ducati...usually something north of $1,000 unless there was a real problem like replacing the clutch basket.

Peter Y.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #5713
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,821
Blew the exhaust gasket out from the LH header to crossover today

Gotta call MPH Monday see if it's warranty or wear and tear - first issue in 16.5kmiles

One the other hand I'm liking the anakee III's more and more
Old 07-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #5714
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Marc, I'm surprised to see a comment about the cost of the 12K service. I'm guessing that the Eldo service is where your real expense fell. Other than balancing the TBs and resetting the TPS your 12K service should only be a couple hours labor and, of course, the parts/fluid. Man, I can still remember the 12K on a Ducati...usually something north of $1,000 unless there was a real problem like replacing the clutch basket.

Peter Y.
Since I wanted my dealer to warranty replace my destroyed Aux light for possible use later, I took my bike in for its 10k km (approx. 6.5k miles) service so I could show them the light, explain how it blew, etc. With shop rates at $120/hr, it came to $600 w/ a TB sync, which according to the shop was not a part of the 10k km service (turns out the TBs were out by quite a bit so it needed it regardless of what the "book" said). That's a lot of cabbage.....

I don't anticipate any further warranty needs (touch wood), so I'll be doing my own work going forward, just like I did on my '08 Norge.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #5715
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Blew the exhaust gasket out from the LH header to crossover today

Gotta call MPH Monday see if it's warranty or wear and tear - first issue in 16.5kmiles
I lost the right hand one at 65000km. Pain in ass to replace!

Sent by HAL 9000.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote