Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #5731
swmckinley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Me too. Something very soothing about it.
swmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #5732
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,212
Cool2

What they said. Unless the weather is awful its always better to ride than sit in a cage. That's why the tigers at the zoo always look pissed.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #5733
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,854
I have to admit when I've trailered bikes in the past they were 650s at best. Now that I'm getting older and have nothing to prove, so I am not opposed to trailering my NTX cross country.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #5734
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I have to admit when I've trailered bikes in the past they were 650s at best. Now that I'm getting older and have nothing to prove, so I am not opposed to trailering my NTX cross country.
I've trailered the Stelvio before so I could get to some good riding without burning up the knobby tires. Also, then I can camp in comfort.

James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #5735
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 768
Here's some new video from the guy doing the Stelvio2Stelvio trip. I think he's on his way to Asia now.

http://vimeo.com/68908468
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #5736
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Now that I am getting older and have nothing to prove, I am not opposed to trailering my NTX cross country.
Mr B.

I see you're from Minnesota. Are you planning on attending the Guzzi National in Lavigne, ON, Canada in late-August? If so, I'll buy you a beer (I hear they have some good ones up there, eh?), we can swap NTX stories and talk about retirement.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #5737
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

We should create a Stelvio ghetto up at the National. I'd bet that there will be a bunch of us.
IBA # 35648
Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #5738
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
We should create a Stelvio ghetto up at the National.
WCB, Sounds like a winner to me. I'm planning on arriving in the main camping area on 8/22, probably in the early afternoon. Hope to see you there.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #5739
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
WCB, Sounds like a winner to me. I'm planning on arriving in the main camping area on 8/22, probably in the early afternoon. Hope to see you there.
We're looking at getting to the camping area by 8/22 as well. Looking forward to seeing everyone there! Should be a blast.
IBA # 35648
Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #5740
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmckinley View Post
Me too. Something very soothing about it.
I actually like it too. It gives me a chance to think about a lot of stuff. I haven't had a chance yet to write me report about picking up my Stelvio in Seattle and riding it to Vermont two weeks ago, but riding across the plaines was twice enjoyable compared to when I did it on my F800GS. Between the big tank and comfortable seat, it was so easy to do 700+ mile days.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #5741
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Mr B.

I see you're from Minnesota. Are you planning on attending the Guzzi National in Lavigne, ON, Canada in late-August? If so, I'll buy you a beer (I hear they have some good ones up there, eh?), we can swap NTX stories and talk about retirement.
Sorry, not going to that one. I'm going to the Iowa rally this week, though.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #5742
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
I guess I'm kind of sick, but I actually kind of enjoy the ride across the plains...
I think it's a matter of the weather conditions during the ride. We came across some of the CA desert at night on our way to Las Vegas and it was rather enjoyable, reasonable temps, fairly calm winds, not too much traffic.

But going back across the desert from Arizona to Palm Springs CA, it was hot as hell, windy, and generally miserable.

For me it's not so much the boring terrain, it's the fairly miserable conditions. The problem is, when the snows melt enough to ride the passes in Colorado the desert temps are already over 100 degrees most of the time.

It's not bad riding the desert early in the year, say from Feb to late April. I've ridden in Death Valley then several times and it can be rather pleasant.

09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #5743
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,655
I lived in Vegas for almost a decade.... and have always ridden year 'round, so having the summer be the 'off season' was strange.

I still rode year 'round, but living and riding in the desert does get you to adjust your preparation levels accordingly. Having a few hundred miles of desert to cover in any direction on a road trip fine tuned my trip prep a bunch.
My offroad riding has always included some desert.

We rode (still ride) Death Valley offroad in the winter months, and I've been thru it when it's brutally hot. Last August Jeanne and I were on the last few days of our two week, 5500 mile Canadian Rockies/west coast trip....and rode thru DV in late August in 123F temps. I rode my Blackbird across in '99 coming back from a SS1000 and an outdoor thermometer read 131F. Official temps were surely a few degrees lower, but it was a blast furnace from Keeler to Pahrump.

The only time I trailer a bike is when I'm buying a bike out of state in the winter and can't get over the Rockies by riding it....or hauling my dirtbike down to Big Bend in the winter when New Mexico is coated in ice.

IMO the NTX is in the top three road trip bikes I've ever had - and for me that's about comfort and range. I like the sit up riding position and could easily drain a 330 mile tank in one sitting....on the stock seat, stock suspension, stock bar risers....yes - the stock bike is that good
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #5744
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Well my wife and I just attended the H.O.G. rally in Medicine Hat, Canada. We carried the NTX to Havre then road on in. My friend has a Harley and asked us to join. Given the fact they have had 600% of their normal range of moisture this year it was a very green ride. Also a bit of a test for our faith in the Guzzi as there is virtually nothing until you get to Elkwater Canada. Fabulous wheat, flax, and canola crops. We really enjoyed ourselves and managed to miss the worst of the weather. It is really hard to envision the level of flooding by the South Saskatewan sp) river from Calgary's flooding. Overall we were the only Guzzi, and other than a couple of Hondas and Yamahas, no one else. Friendly guys if not a bit uninspired. Went on my first poker run and laughed as the Harley guys really had to stretch to get to the refueling areas...not a problem for me.
I didn't take many pics. Riding with Harley guys really brings home how much more a NTX can do.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #5745
mikep95
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
I took the lazy way out and rented a cabin close by but I'll be keeping an eye out for any NTX I recognize from here!
mikep95 is offline   Reply With Quote