Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #6106
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoG5 View Post
Any tips on mounting the unit? About to do it and its always nice to hear from those who have been there, done that.
This the one with the self adhesive, velcro? I mounted mine by eye. I have since removed it.

Has anyone noticed (I''m talking old Stelvios here) how it looks like the screen is at a funny angle? Because of the asymmetrical clocks? Well between that optical illusion and the laminar lip being a fraction out on one side, I nearly went insane!!

Thos funny velcro blobs thing though, really good stuff! But if I was doing more dirt roads I think I'd drill it and mount it that way...
Old 08-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #6107
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoG5 View Post
Any tips on mounting the unit? .. its always nice to hear from those who have been there, done that.
Moto -- I mounted my Touring Laminar Lip with the small plastic screws, rubber washers and nuts that came with it. I find it is easier to take off for cleaning than when I had it mounted with the Velcro pieces. Also, I'm less concerned about it coming off during riding.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #6108
Toadride
NTXer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Much to my surprise my bike is subject to two recall campaigns. The bike was bought in August 2012 and was delivered to the dealer in July 2012 so it had not been sitting around for months and months. Still, it is one identified for the center stand recall and something to do with the wiring. Up until now I was under the impression that all the USA NTXs were built post center stand upgrade...evidently not so. There was no mention of the suspension link recall so maybe that does not apply to the US batch of NTXs.

Peter Y.
Hey Peter,
Friend just sent me this,
http://www.adventuresportrider.com/f...ad.php?p=67305
As mine is for sale I wash my hands of the whole sordid affair and just check mine ( I am assuming they are talking about the fork like connector and I see it's a cast piece). As you can see, no mention of the US yet.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #6109
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 16,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Hey Peter,
As mine is for sale I wash my hands of the whole sordid affair and just check mine ( I am assuming they are talking about the fork like connector and I see it's a cast piece). As you can see, no mention of the US yet.
Hey Toadster, you don't sound like you're particularly happy with your Stelvio.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #6110
Toadride
NTXer

Oddometer: 772
I'm bipolar
Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #6111
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Hey Peter,
Hmm.....very interesting. I pulled mine off during the regreasing affair. Mine was a forged part and looked to be in perfect condition.

It would be good to keep up on what happens with the USA bikes.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #6112
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 231
New Guzzista

My 13 year old has been complaining for weeks that daddy got yet another bike, and never admitted that she liked it. Strangely, last weekend she asked to go for a quick ride around the block, and even agreed on a picture. She still wouldn't admit, but I know she liked it

RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #6113
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 347
RRVT, that's the very nature of being 13. You have my sympathy. It's hard to believe that in a few years she will be the thing that brings smiles to your face and a warm feeling in your heart....and it's not heartburn. Please take care to show her the joy of motorcycles. Most of us had to discover that on our own and without parental permission.

Peter Y.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #6114
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 6,998
Quote:
RRVT, that's the very nature of being 13. You have my sympathy. It's hard to believe that in a few years she will be the thing that brings smiles to your face and a warm feeling in your heart....and it's not heartburn. Please take care to show her the joy of motorcycles. Most of us had to discover that on our own and without parental permission.

Peter Y.

I was fortunate to have had my dad introduce me to motorcycles at a very young age. I've ridden countless miles on the back of his K75 when I was younger, and have been fortunate enough that Dad lets me ride his R1200RT whenever I'm back home to visit.

He and Mom actually just recently got back from a motorcycle tour through France, something they've wanted to do for the last 30 years.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #6115
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 231
Quote:

Peter Y.
She is actually still very sweet and a total doll. But yeah, puberty is beginning to show. She never liked when I got into motorcycles but recently she's been hearing a lot of comments from her friends, their parents or even teachers about her "cool" dad riding bikes. Now her friends started asking me for rides, maybe that's changing her attitude. While I will always love and keep riding, I am totally fine if she never does. Now my older daughter (21) is talking about getting a bike and that idea just scares the crap out of me because I've seen how she drives...
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #6116
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post

I was fortunate to have had my dad introduce me to motorcycles at a very young age. I've ridden countless miles on the back of his K75 when I was younger, and have been fortunate enough that Dad lets me ride his R1200RT whenever I'm back home to visit.
That's very cool. I wish I could share my motorcycle passion with my father but he's scared of being squashed by a car so won't even entertain the idea. My Mom has ridden on the back of my bike a couple times.

I learned on my own along with a few of my friends who also liked bikes.

That R1200RT is a sweet ride to have available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
He and Mom actually just recently got back from a motorcycle tour through France, something they've wanted to do for the last 30 years.
I share your interest. One of my goals is a motorcycle tour in Europe. I've toured Europe several times by car but never on a bike which I REALLY want to do.

The last time I went to Europe there was a couple in front of us in the airline check-in line. They had their luggage liner bags and MC jackets on. I asked what their plans were and got the answer they'd rented a Goldwing for a month and were planning a multi-country tour. Needless to say I was very envious of them. Throughout our trip I kept wondering how their trip went.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #6117
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 6,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
One of my goals is a motorcycle tour in Europe. I've toured Europe several times by car but never on a bike which I REALLY want to do.
Mom and Dad went with British Bike Tours. We have some friends who live in the UK so they spent a few days with them on either end of the trip. They rented a K1600GT and while Dad really liked it, he claims to still prefer his RT.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #6118
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Hey Peter,
Has anyone on here had any problems with this???? I've read in several other places that the US DOT will be issuing the same recall soon.
Triumph Thruxton & Scrambler
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #6119
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 617
I talked to my dealer about it before I knew what years they were recalling (checking on my 09 Stelvio and wife's '11 Griso SE) and he told me that our bikes weren't affected. It sounded like a very narrow group of VIN numbers affected.

Pete Roper (Guzzi mechanic from Oz) has told customers of his though, not to ride them without getting the VIN checked.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #6120
fortrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
3 Dyno runs, 3 exhaust

Just did 3 dyno runs with 3 different pipes on 2013 Stelvio. All were done by an independent shop. Interesting results as follows.
Mistral Carbon Max. HP 77.78
Stock exhaust Max. HP 85.20
Remus Stainless Max. HP 85.55
Makes you wonder why spend the big bucks to lose HP. Maybe better to spend it on suspension or a couple of nice nights out.