Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #6301
MotoG5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidor View Post
This might be part of my imagination, but after the first service of my Stelvio at 1500 km, I experience that the engine became more noisy in a mechanical ratteling kind of way. The best way I can describe it is how I imagine it would sound running dry without any oil inside. The valves are ticking, the cam chain is sloppy, or something. This is my first Guzzy so I don't know what is to be considered "normal". Since I started noticing it, I can't stear my mind away.

I passed the dealer a few days ago and asked them to listen to the sound as well. The mechanic and the shop manager agreed that it sounded a bit fishy and we scheduled a time next week for closer investigation.

My main concern is that since they are a multi-brand retailer, they do not specialize in Guzzy (they do BMW, HD, Aprilia, and 100's of Piaggio Scooter brands as well). So I was wondering if you guys could help me point the mechanic in the right direction when he's looking into it. The bike is loveley, but right now I fear that it's about to explode, so I can't really enjoy the thrills it actually provides.
Judging Guzzi engines by ear can be a bit dodgy at best. Even for those who have ridden them for years. Ask your dealer if they opened up the valve clearances from the factory .004/.006 inch to what many are setting them to, .006/.008. When I did this the valve clatter was much louder than before and tends to make one think that something is amiss. The engine also loosens up as it breaks in and the changing over all sound can make one uneasy. My true test is if I am riding down the road and asking myself IF I MAY be hearing something I most likely am not. When, in my experience, I have had a real issue the scenario is HOLY SH*T THAT AINT RIGHT and I start looking for the trouble. Iam not saying you don't have any issues but I am betting most likely not. The 8V is like its older siblings and sounds like a box of rocks when set up right and broken in.
MotoG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #6302
Lucidor
Beasty Boy

Oddometer: 68
I hope that you are right about the sound being normal for the 8V engine. Anyhow my bike was subject to the suspension recall and needs attention by the shop for that reason. So on Tuesday I will know if something was wrong also with the engine.

Skickat från min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk 2
Old 08-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #6303
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 99
Hi all, I've been lurking & lusting for a stelvio for a while now & put everything on hold due to an impending transatlantic move, heading for Quebec eventually.
However my regular Buell & Guzzi owner riding buddy Francois, has made me extremely jealous & picked up a low mileage '12 model NTX with a Zard exhaust on it.
It sounds gorgeous but he's having a lot of trouble with it popping & banging under deceleration.
He's picked up an adjustable widget that plugs into the airbox temp sender loom but it's not a real solution to the problem as it needs resetting frequently with temp changes. We live near the Alps & can easily get 10-15°C temp changes over short distances up in the hills.

Can anybody tell me if there's a remap available for Euro models?
If so who does it? the dealers don't seem to have much clue locally.

Thanks all.

Oh & hopefully next Spring/Summer I'll be shopping in Canada or N/E US for a good used bike so keep your ears open for me.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #6304
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
OK I will start this and keep updating it as I go and learn more. Please keep in mind that none of this will do anything like Todd does with his ECU re-flash and PC-V systems. He is the one that has it dialed.

Here is a screen video I made this morning. No I am not an actor and kept saying CO2 when I meant CO. It will take a while to load and I am going riding instead of waiting around for it. WOW this looked good on my PC but quickly went to shit on yo-tub.

This is all I know about the program at this time. I will keep playing and reading and report back if I ever come up with any more pertinent information.

Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Thanks for that. Yes, I have heard that 68 is the one. My wife bought me an android tablet, so I downloaded Scantech M5x scan tools connected with bluetooth to the ELM327 adaptor, and was able to reset my TPS. Got the TB sync done, can't wait to test ride, it feels and sounds lots better. The sync was off some as was the idle sync.

It does run better and the flat spot is less or smaller, interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Soliport-Bluet...m327+bluetooth
I have downloaded the Guzzidiag software and it opens up and runs. I have one of the cables (the blue one) but waiting on the other, it should arrive Monday.

But.... I watched the video and it appears the TPS reset feature doesn't work. Lomax, have you gotten it to work since then?

llamapacker, I'm tempted to duplicate your setup as the unit is only $12 and I'm on Android (Galaxy S3), but I can't find the software you mentioned, can you post a link or reference?

I only want to reset the dang TPS, there should be a cost effective way to get that done.

I did go back and calibrate my Carbtune off one cylinder, it was spot on, so I repeated the sync. I double checked and I think one of the air bypass screws was open so closed both and started fresh. I got a pretty good sync this time but have a question. If you do need to open up a air bypass to get the idle sync proper how do you lower the idle rpm if you wish to? You're not supposed to touch the adjustment screw that would appear to be the one you'd want to use for idle speed adjustment.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #6305
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Lomax, have you gotten it to work since then?
Not yet but I have not had much time to play with it. Too bad as that is what I wanted to program for myself.

A little jaunt up into the hills today.

Marc

Lomax screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 01:17 PM
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #6306
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Not yet but I have not had much time to play with it. Too bad as that is what I wanted to program for myself.
Bummer, is anybody aware of more effort/discussion on this elsewhere? It seems like it's worth pursuing for simple things like reading errors and TPS resetting.

Quote:
A little jaunt up into the hills today.

Marc
Nice photo! Kinda cool seeing that nice RT alongside your Stelvio.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #6307
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy View Post
Hi all, I've been lurking & lusting for a stelvio for a while now & put everything on hold due to an impending transatlantic move, heading for Quebec eventually.
However my regular Buell & Guzzi owner riding buddy Francois, has made me extremely jealous & picked up a low mileage '12 model NTX with a Zard exhaust on it.
It sounds gorgeous but he's having a lot of trouble with it popping & banging under deceleration.
He's picked up an adjustable widget that plugs into the airbox temp sender loom but it's not a real solution to the problem as it needs resetting frequently with temp changes. We live near the Alps & can easily get 10-15°C temp changes over short distances up in the hills.

Can anybody tell me if there's a remap available for Euro models?
If so who does it? the dealers don't seem to have much clue locally.

Thanks all.

Oh & hopefully next Spring/Summer I'll be shopping in Canada or N/E US for a good used bike so keep your ears open for me.
As far as I know, the Euro model ECU is the same as the US and they are both programmed very lean to meet emissions requirements. This is only aggravated by your Zard exhaust which has no catalytic converter and therefore is much freer flowing. Sadly you are likely losing a bit of HP with that exhaust as well due to how Guzzi tuned the system utilizing the backpressure from the stock exhaust.

Contact Todd at GuzziTech and have a chat with him regarding a reflashed ECU. He's the leader in this area and has likely dealt with Euro bikes in the past. For now, I just live with it and let it add to the Guzzi charm. At some point, however, Todd may be getting a check from me.....

Oh, and congrats on the new bike. They really are something special.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #6308
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
llamapacker, I'm tempted to duplicate your setup as the unit is only $12 and I'm on Android (Galaxy S3), but I can't find the software you mentioned, can you post a link or reference?

I only want to reset the dang TPS, there should be a cost effective way to get that done.
GuzziDiag should do it all, TPS reset, service reset, history reset. Reads map, writes new map after mods from Tunerpro http://www.tunerpro.net/. I'm expecting my cable tuesday, will post up when I get it all working.

For the Android, I downloaded like 4 apps, from this site:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/scan-m5x...scanm5.trimmer

You can only connect one of those apps at a time via bluetooth to ELM327.

llamapacker screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 04:32 AM
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #6309
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Quote:
Bummer, is anybody aware of more effort/discussion on this elsewhere? It seems like it's worth pursuing for simple things like reading errors and TPS resetting.
I posted the link to the thread about GuzziDiag above. It is on wildguzzi forum:
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=59717.0

The software has a lot of useful information, but I am interested in programming the map to my liking. May require investment in an A/F meter. I initially thought the bluetooth would work with GuzziDiag, so did not order the VAG COM 409.1 blue cable, so, taking me an extra week to get it going. Some links in that thread for the cables and software post #46 page #2. Someone just posted some more 3D graphs of their map mods.

llamapacker screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 05:58 PM
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #6310
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Quote:
GuzziDiag should do it all, TPS reset, service reset, history reset. Reads map, writes new map after mods from Tunepro. I'm expecting my cable tuesday, will post up when I get it all working.
Please do. I finally got Guzzidiag to connect to both bikes but TPS reset, history reset and reading maps is not working. It is probably because I am an idiot but this should be fairly self explanatory. Maybe it is just not working with the ECU's that I have.

Marc

Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #6311
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy View Post
What I did to solve my decel pop issue:
http://griso1100.blogspot.com
Old 08-19-2013, 04:30 AM   #6312
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Quote:
Please do. I finally got Guzzidiag to connect to both bikes but TPS reset, history reset and reading maps is not working. It is probably because I am an idiot but this should be fairly self explanatory. Maybe it is just not working with the ECU's that I have.

Marc
The engine should be off, and key on to do TPS reset.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #6313
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
What I did to solve my decel pop issue:
http://griso1100.blogspot.com
Took a look at your map, looks very complicated at this time, but I will get up to speed, gotta solve the 2000 - 3500 rpm flat spot. The bike runs really great after that. It makes sense it is to rich in that area, as watching my instant MPG on the computer while riding, it is way low, 20s. Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #6314
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Took a look at your map, looks very complicated at this time, but I will get up to speed, gotta solve the 2000 - 3500 rpm flat spot. The bike runs really great after that. It makes sense it is to rich in that area, as watching my instant MPG on the computer while riding, it is way low, 20s. Thanks
The map everywhere other than the first two left columns between 2k and 4k came that way from Dynojet for a stock Griso. I only messed with what was causing me issues- decel at close throttle and transitional throttle off close.

Going into it with the intent of 'fixing' problems is best. You are not going to gain any significant HP.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #6315
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Quote:
The engine should be off, and key on to do TPS reset.
That is what I did on both bikes, When I press the TPS reset button nothing happens. It does grey out the other buttons but nothing comes up ?? Maybe it is restting it but I kind of expected to get some sort of feedback. Thanks for the advice.

Marc