Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #6316
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
That is what I did on both bikes, When I press the TPS reset button nothing happens. It does grey out the other buttons but nothing comes up ?? Maybe it is restting it but I kind of expected to get some sort of feedback. Thanks for the advice.

Marc
Oh, it is working. You would need to view the actual setting of TPS before you reset it then check if after to see if it changed. The base setting is 4.6 I believe. Mine was like 5.1 after my valve set, before the TPS reset.

This will make the map off all the way up the TP settings. The reset of TPS is just giving the ECU the zero start for throttle stop.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #6317
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Going into it with the intent of 'fixing' problems is best. You are not going to gain any significant HP.
Exactly, mine runs great from 3500 >, just want to fix the lower area to match that. Good mpg also, as long as I stay above 3500 rpm, getting 40 mpg on last two tanks.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #6318
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Oh, it is working. You would need to view the actual setting of TPS before you reset it then check if after to see if it changed. The base setting is 4.6 I believe. Mine was like 5.1 after my valve set, before the TPS reset.

This will make the map off all the way up the TP settings. The reset of TPS is just giving the ECU the zero start for throttle stop.
Thanks.

Marc
Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #6319
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:

So you should be able to read the existing value (say 5.1) do the reset, then go back and read the new value (say 4.7) after running the reset procedure.

The manual I have states 4.7 +/- 0.1 Todd told me 4.8 is a good number also. It would appear you have no adjustment factor, you get what you get after it resets. The manual seems to indicate that if the value doesn't come inline then you need to replace the unit.

I'm hoping my 2nd cable arrives today so I can try it tonight. I sure hope this works..... I'd really prefer to spend the $200 on something else, like a new rear shock spring etc....

Thanks for the Android links 'packer.

BTW, I haven't seen any info on replacement rear shock springs, anything out there? I'd sure like something that was more progressive.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #6320
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

OK, I got to try this out tonight and it works!!!

One thing, the DVD didn't install the drivers I needed for Win 7 64 bit so I googled the website for the basic FTDI chip to get the install manual and VCP (Virtual Com Port) drivers for Win 7. I downloaded the 2.08.30 version driver zip file, unzipped it and ran the executable file. It then ran the install and assigned a vacant virtual com port (ended up COM 6 on my laptop). I connected the cable to the bike and connected to the laptop. In GuzziDiag program I ran connect and the GuzziDiag program recognized the port 6 right off the bat.

If you turn on the ignition but not start the motor, then set one of your data fields so throttle opening is showing it will display the degrees of open at idle. This should be your key TPS number. Mine showed 5.0 before running the reset, after the reset it showed 4.8, spot on. If you open and close the throttle you can see the number change indicating the degrees of opening.

As described previously, go to view, then actors and you will see the TPS reset option. Here's a screen shot of that page.

Here's a screen shot after doing the TPS reset.

I also ran the service reset as I'd recently done my service but I'm not sure how to verify the service reset has been accomplished.

Mine did not show any fault codes.

I'm really stoked this worked. Now I need to read up on what the other fields should be telling me, besides the obvious of rpm, etc.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S

danketchpel screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 10:43 PM
Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #6321
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
It would appear you have no adjustment factor, you get what you get after it resets. The manual seems to indicate that if the value doesn't come inline then you need to replace the unit.
Yes, it isn't "setting the throttle", the throttle is mechanical, the process is basically saying "Okay ECU, listen up - see the resistance that you have at the TPS now? Well remember that, because the throttles are mechanically closed now and you need to use that value as the base reference point on your map." That's why if you adjust the throttle stop (which is on the other TB from the TPS remember) you lose that correlation between the mechanical reality and the electronic perception of that reality. The ECU replies with either "Okay fella, jobs a good 'un", or "Woah there fella, you're telling me the throttle is shut but the expected resistance is out of tolerance!" After which you need to bin 'em. Sadly.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #6322
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
OK, I got to try this out tonight and it works!!!
Although I have the $69 version on it's way, I bought the Amazon cables too (already arrived) and downloaded this software - but it doesn't seem to recognise the key on, always comes up saying key off. :(
Old 08-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #6323
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

I'm glad you got it working, I'm still waiting on my cable. LOL

Adam R, your driver is not connecting or is the wrong one, or the cable has the CH340 chip (will not work). If in windows, go to device manager and identify the hardware (cable), if it says anything with 340 in it, wrong cable. Notice in the first screen Danketchpel posted, at the bottom, says connected!

I would like to know how you guys got your cable so quick????
Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #6324
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Quote:
BTW, I haven't seen any info on replacement rear shock springs, anything out there? I'd sure like something that was more progressive.
I'm sure you Stelvio guys have a different shock/length but I replaced my spring with ohlins 130nm off an 09 1100s monster. The OE was too weak. The spring is slightly shorter than the OE, but works fine on the Griso, as there is plenty of threads on the shock to take up the slack and apply 8mm preload. 130nm = 742lbs/in.

llamapacker screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 06:15 AM
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #6325
jknight611
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Hrumph

Well, I got the cables and the time to mess with the Guzzidia, want to be able to do a TBS reset at home. Got Windows 7, got programs, got wires. Hooked everything up but when it says to "turn key on" I turn it on, in a few seconds I get "key not on" error message. I looked at my drivers, and I do have the "340" in the driver name. Did I get the incorrect cable? Anybody care to share a link (Amazon) to the correct cable?

Thanks
Jay
jknight611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #6326
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight611 View Post
Well, I got the cables and the time to mess with the Guzzidia, want to be able to do a TBS reset at home. Got Windows 7, got programs, got wires. Hooked everything up but when it says to "turn key on" I turn it on, in a few seconds I get "key not on" error message. I looked at my drivers, and I do have the "340" in the driver name. Did I get the incorrect cable? Anybody care to share a link (Amazon) to the correct cable?

Thanks
Jay
Here is what I got as per a couple of pages ago. Seems to be working fine for me.

Elandpower OBD OBD2 16 Pin Connector Diagnostic Adapter for FIAT 3 Pin
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OBD2 OBD II Diagnostic USB Cable For KKL409.1 VAG-COM 409

Ooops second link no longer works. Maybe they sold out of that one. But I left the desription for Ya at least.

Marc
Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #6327
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm glad you got it working, I'm still waiting on my cable. LOL

Adam R, your driver is not connecting or is the wrong one, or the cable has the CH340 chip (will not work). If in windows, go to device manager and identify the hardware (cable), if it says anything with 340 in it, wrong cable. Notice in the first screen Danketchpel posted, at the bottom, says connected!

I would like to know how you guys got your cable so quick????
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight611 View Post

Thanks
Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
Here is what I got as per a couple of pages ago. Seems to be working fine for me.

Elandpower OBD OBD2 16 Pin Connector Diagnostic Adapter for FIAT 3 Pin

OBD2 OBD II Diagnostic USB Cable For KKL409.1 VAG-COM 409

Ooops second link no longer works. Maybe they sold out of that one. But I left the desription for Ya at least.

Marc
Yes, the cable should identify as FT232R in device manager, the R at the end may not show. Make sure you download the correct drivers from the FTDI website (see the links in my previous post) if they don't load automatically on your system. You can use either virtual or direct drivers, I'd suggest using the virtual drivers if you're on Win XP or Win 7. I think they also have Win 8 drivers.

When it's connected it recognized key on/off etc. and the program prompts you to the correct state to be in.

I just checked stock on Amazon and both cables are in stock, but only 1 left of the Elandpower cable. The blue VIA-COM cable is the one with the FTDI chip in it.

They both qualify for Prime. If you're a Prime member you get 2 day shipping free. I've found Prime membership to be well worth it, especially if you also take advantage of their movie/TV show streaming service.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 08-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #6328
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

I didn't choose the 2 day deal, my bad, figured it would get here in 3 days maybe, wrong again.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #6329
Lucidor
Beasty Boy

Oddometer: 77
Rattle

I got the bike back from the shop today, and it turned out that the valves on the right hand side were slightly off. They fixed that and now the engine runs much smoother. They also replaced the recalled suspension item and made a few other minor adjustments.

Now it feels like a new bike. Strange how small things can make such a huge difference.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #6330
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Lucidor, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of the new suspension part? Wishbone, or the big 3 hole link?