Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #6931
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Will do, I'm leaving for the Barber Vintage Festival in Alabama on Wednesday...I'll see how bad the noise irritates me. Maybe I should put the Mistral back on to drown out the tire noise
Doing the same...camping with the Norton folks. I'll be sans bike due to a hand injury (not bike related). Last year there were a few vintage Guzzi' to be seen, including a beautiful bacon slicer single. Hope to see more this time.

Peter Y.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #6932
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Messed around with my 013 Stelvio trying to solve its intermittent misfire. It started a few hundred miles after performing the 12k service. The bike was running fine when I shut it off, then it had a definite miss when I started it back up a few minutes later. The weather was perfect, nothing wet. When I got home I pulled the plugs, the right hand jug plug was sooty. The left plug was perfect.

I figured it must be the dreaded plug cap failure so I installed NGK replacements along with new plugs. Nope, still misfiring primarily between 4k and 5k rpms but it can manifest itself at any rpm.

Hooked up the centurion, the TPS showed 5, reset it to 4.7 and looked for faults. Everything checked ok. Looked for faults in the dash menu, it showed none.

Rechecked the valves, they are spot on. Pulled the right hand fuel injector and observed a perfect spray pattern. Removed fuel tank, drained it, checked for any obvious wiring problems, reinstalled and added fresh fuel. Nope, still doing it.

Removed injector again and swapped it with one from my 12 Griso. Nope, the Griso runs great. The Stelvio not so much. Did the same with the right coil, with the same results.

Got the Harmonizer and centurion out. TPS showed 4.8 but sync was way off at idle and at 4k. Odd, because it was spot on 500 miles ago. Oh yea, it was off because I reset the TPS earlier. Got everything synced again, reset the TPS. It's better, but the intermittent misfire is still there.

Think perhaps it's slack in the linkage between the throttle bodies?
I definitely sounds like the problem is on the ignition side.

What comes to mind;

1. Even though you swapped coils with the Griso did you use the original Stelvio high voltage sparkplug wire?

2. Have you traced the low voltage lead going to the coil to see if it's shorting/grounding anyplace or if the connection to the coil is a bit funky?

I would try removing the right side cover and plug cap cover so you could see the entire run of the plug wire and running the bike in a dark garage/environment to see if you can detect any arcing along the high voltage path.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #6933
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I would try removing the right side cover and plug cap cover so you could see the entire run of the plug wire and running the bike in a dark garage/environment to see if you can detect any arcing along the high voltage path.
Also, try spraying water (from a spray bottle, not a hose) on the high-voltage wires while the bike is idling. If it starts misfiring or running on one cylinder, then the wire (or something on the high-voltage side) is bad.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #6934
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Also, try spraying water (from a spray bottle, not a hose) on the high-voltage wires while the bike is idling. If it starts misfiring or running on one cylinder, then the wire (or something on the high-voltage side) is bad.
Have a timing light? Put the inductive clamp near the plug and get it to misfire...the side that is impacted should show up in an odd light flash. You might be able to pin part of it down that way.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #6935
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Doing the same...camping with the Norton folks. I'll be sans bike due to a hand injury (not bike related). Last year there were a few vintage Guzzi' to be seen, including a beautiful bacon slicer single. Hope to see more this time.

Peter Y.
One of these days I hope to get down there with my Commando...although I'll probably trailer it down

I will probably stop by the INOA tent it it's there....
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #6936
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Will do, I'm leaving for the Barber Vintage Festival in Alabama on Wednesday...I'll see how bad the noise irritates me. Maybe I should put the Mistral back on to drown out the tire noise
I'll be heading there Thursday morning. I was going to bring the Tenni but I think it will be easier to just drive my wife's car.
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #6937
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,454
Quote:
I definitely sounds like the problem is on the ignition side.

What comes to mind;

1. Even though you swapped coils with the Griso did you use the original Stelvio high voltage sparkplug wire?

2. Have you traced the low voltage lead going to the coil to see if it's shorting/grounding anyplace or if the connection to the coil is a bit funky?

The connections look fine. I did examine the wiring as best I could while the fuel tank was removed and it looked ok too. I didn't change out the plug wire. I'm not hearing any popping that would indicate an arc to ground but tonight I'll look at it running in the dark with the plug cover removed and see what there is to see.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #6938
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Cast Wheels

My factory cast wheels arrived form Pro Italia Two weeks from ordering yea !!!!

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #6939
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Sweet!

You probably got one of the valve stems I ordered...... I'm still waiting on one of them to arrive from Italy. I sure wish they'd put more parts on that boat.....

What's your current thinking for tires on the cast wheels?

At this time I'm leaning towards Pilot Road 3 trails.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 10-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #6940
pauldaytona
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Sweet!

You probably got one of the valve stems I ordered...... I'm still waiting on one of them to arrive from Italy. I sure wish they'd put more parts on that boat.....

I have them, I like the feel, and they give good confidence in the rain. I'm not so shure about how long the rear one lived. To short. :-) With the original pirellis I had more then once front wheel breaking out on wet tarmac, I hate that.

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/
pauldaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #6941
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldaytona View Post
I have them, I like the feel, and they give good confidence in the rain. I'm not so shure about how long the rear one lived. To short. :-) With the original pirellis I had more then once front wheel breaking out on wet tarmac, I hate that.
And here I was just going to suggest that the OEM Pirellis were a surprisingly good tire, especially for the price.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #6942
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,547
Anakee III's

Did 600 miles on the Anakee III's today, man am I annoyed! Even the guy riding with me commented on the noise
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #6943
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Did 600 miles on the Anakee III's today, man am I annoyed! Even the guy riding with me commented on the noise.
Wow, that's pretty extreme.

I suspect the problem is the sipes are cut with not much angle to the direction of contact, not sure, that's just my thought. Regardless, it doesn't sound promising.

I was hoping the Pilot Road 3 trail would have a good wear rate. The regular Pilot Road 3 has a great reputation otherwise.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 10-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #6944
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Sweet!

Well I WAS leaning strongly toward the Anakee 3's until reading about the noise issue. Now I've been looking at the Conti Trail Attacks and the Michelin Pilot Road III Trails I've been looking at reviews of the Road III Trails but some people are mixing up the Road III's and the The Road III Trails so its value is diluted a bit. Anyhow I am leaning toward the road III Trails. I found the following discussions helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWzXLuEiPIk

http://vimeo.com/47354516

Any input from others on this thread would who have experience with either the Pilot Road III Trail or Conti Trail Attack would be great.

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #6945
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Did 600 miles on the Anakee III's today, man am I annoyed! Even the guy riding with me commented on the noise
+1

I replaced only the rear tire with the Anakee III and it is loud! But, after @ 3K miles, it looks like it will last a long time. I bought this tire for it's reputed long life.