Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
jct9841 OP
JohnnyCage

Oddometer: 34
Honda XR650L Accessories?

Hey all,

Just picked up a 2001 XR650L and need suggestions on tank bags, rear rack, exhaust & larger tank. It came with a Corbin seat, small shield and extra tires.

I'm going to go with TKC-80 tires I think.

Thanks in advance.

JT

G. Harrison
jct9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,371
On my xrl with the bigger IMS tank didn't leave much room for a tankbag. I use some walmart atv tank panniers for spare tubes, fix a flat, water bottle, tow rope and a quart of engine oil.
My rear rack is a lockhart philips I believe, the billet alum racks just aren't in my toy budget. My tool roll stays back there bungeed down in an old tankbag, tire irons etc.
Are you wanting a slip on silencer or a complete exhaust system? I went with a big gun system after some engine tweaking and riding with a buddy that had one on his xrl. It's a little loud when you hammer it but I can usually sneak out of town before I open it up. At higher elevations it sounds pretty mellow.
Good luck and enjoy your new to you bike.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
machman
means well

Oddometer: 1,212
I've got the IMS 4.2 tank, bar risers, alum. skid plate, renthal bars, spring loaded shifter, Acerbis tail light, UFO fenders, blue XR600 tool bag, alum. rear disk guard, Supertrapp slip-on, and Acerbis fork/disk protectors.

As far as what you "need", I think if your bike is uncorked, a pipe and a new tank should do it.

I'm looking to pick up a rack, a Corbin seat, a windshield, and adding an ABS pipe tool kit behind the front tire in the future.

As far as tires go, I recommend Kenda for their price/quality ratio. No better tire for the $ IMHO.
machman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
EMathy
Cancer Sucks!

Oddometer: 168
I've been thinking of selling off my street titled KLX300 and getting a XR650L. While doing my usual overly obsessed research, I came across two really good lists of 650L hop-ups.

http://www.xrdualsport.com/xlr_partslist.txt
(main page for that is: http://www.xrdualsport.com/bikes_considered.shtml )

http://www.dirtrodders.com/xr650l/specs.html

Enjoy!
- Erik
EMathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,427
I have an 02 XRL and I normally run Dunlop D606's in the back and either a D606 or Pirelli MT21 in the front. I get about 2500 to 3000 miles out of the rears and close to 4000 out of the front. I've been itching to try the Kendas but I'm thinking they aren't going to last very long, i could be wrong.
I have the Clarke 4.7 gallon tank and would buy it again, I love it! I get close to 200 miles out of a tank.
I put the Moose skid plate on mine and did the desmogging and 14/48 gearing. I think i'm going back to the stock 15 tooth cs sprocket though. I got TAG cr double hi bend bars, Moose handguards, Moose fender bag, dirtbikegear.com's number plate bag and the Pro Moto Billet rear rack.
The pro moto rack is great but I wish the design kept the stock tool bag, I miss that. I think SRC makes a nice one and Happy trails also.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
wheelnut46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Congrats on your new bike. I have a 2001 "L" also and I'm having a blast on it. It runs good and strong and is very comfortable on the road. I just put a 4.50 Kenda 270 on the rear. I will probably replace the front with the TKC80. I'm guessing a 2:1 rear/front replacement ratio. we'll see.
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
goblin
pig rider

Oddometer: 371
If your looking for imfo on the 650L thumper talk and four strokes .com are good places to check out.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #8
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
My XR650L mods include a 14 tooth counter sprocket using the stock Honda part for a late '90's XR600, a Clarke 4.3 gal tank, Maier windscreen form JC Whitney, TKC80 front and D606 rear, DirtBagz, and the normal uncorking stuff from Thumpertalk. The bike is a good all around with these changes. The uncorking was disappointing; I'm sure it gave a power boost, but the bike doesn't have much to start with, so it's not an impressive gain.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #9
goblin
pig rider

Oddometer: 371
XRs only is a good place to get performance minded stuff. They make oor some one makes for them a real solid exaust system. I stuck one of there mikuni carb's on also and made a nice improvement.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #10
BarkSlayer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I had a '95 XR650-L with an IMS tank and Supertrapp IDS slip-on muffler. Tire choice is critical on this bike. Mine had the original Bridgestone TrailWings and a friend had the identical bike with Pirelli MT21s. The Bridgestones were junk in nealy any conditions but dry pavement.
BarkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkSlayer
I had a '95 XR650-L with an IMS tank and Supertrapp IDS slip-on muffler. Tire choice is critical on this bike. Mine had the original Bridgestone TrailWings and a friend had the identical bike with Pirelli MT21s. The Bridgestones were junk in nealy any conditions but dry pavement.
You are right. There's a reason why the Bridgestone Trailwings aren't called Deathwings. MT-21's are good, and so are D606's.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #12
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,781
Acerbis tank,

Got an Acerbis 6 gal tank for the XR650L for sale. $150.US Great shape.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:58 PM   #13
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
Make your own rack or have one made to your specs. I agree big tank leaves no room for tank bag, I made some mini boxes from ammo cans and bolted to my rack. There just big enough for rain gear and a few other things, but small enough never to be in the way. Move the tool bag to the front fender, and add a bag for the rack.

onaXR screwed with this post 01-15-2006 at 02:09 PM
onaXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:33 PM   #14
slomoto
A legend in my own mind

Oddometer: 40
MC Enterprises rack

One more option for a rack is a discontinued model, but likely still available is from MC Enterprises. I picked one up through Parts Unlimited recently and it is well made. A link to the site where I found it is:

http://www.4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11650

I am happy with it. It priced out at about $100.
slomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #15
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomoto
One more option for a rack is a discontinued model, but likely still available is from MC Enterprises. I picked one up through Parts Unlimited recently and it is well made. A link to the site where I found it is:

http://www.4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11650

I am happy with it. It priced out at about $100.
I have one, too. and I like it. I ordered it from arrowheadmotorsports.com. Look up General XR parts, and scroll down to the MC Supersport Luggage Rack. It's steel, and heavier than the aluminum ones, but you can keep the toolbag in the original spot. $91.95 If you get it, get some nylon threaded nuts, because the original ones will vibrate off. DAMHIK.