Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #316
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne
so if you moved the load lower and possibly fwd, do you think you have a feasible design? Do you feel the front up attitude of the trailer might play a role in stability of this rig?

I am interested in the hitch design specifically, low mount to the pegs and the use of the U-joint.
Here's a few pics of the hitch. I have actually (we really, my son is the welder) spent a lot more time on this than on the trailer. It was a really tight fit making it all happen like i wanted:-pull from a major frame point -hitch point on same plane as axle -both side and center kickstands still work. The unit is assymetrical so we started at the front portion on each side and bent/shaped it as we worked to the rear then tied it together with a receiver socket. The u joint (on the trailer) is an off the shelf ag unit and the receiver piece is a non-stock size we chose because we had 2 pieces that fit together. Sorry i don't have better pics for it. The hitch ended up solid as a rock.

reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #317
klrbaer
Tim

Oddometer: 279
pulling a single wheel

You guys talk alot. cut, weld and test. That's how I did mine. Granted, you guys all have great points. But you just don't know how it will handle until you pull it down the road.
I put mine on the road 6 times before I had it right. Just don't get discouraged, and be prepared to redo the hitch.
The good news is that, that was over 5000 miles ago, and I'm only on the second tire. The first tire had 3500 miles on it and was lost to a pot hole that cut the valve stem off.

Any questions, please call
309-287-1425
God Bless us all.
88 NX 125, 99 Valkyrie, 02 KLR
Pulling my homebuilt monowheel
klrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #318
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrbaer View Post
You guys talk alot. cut, weld and test. That's how I did mine. Granted, you guys all have great points. But you just don't know how it will handle until you pull it down the road.
I put mine on the road 6 times before I had it right. Just don't get discouraged, and be prepared to redo the hitch.
The good news is that, that was over 5000 miles ago, and I'm only on the second tire. The first tire had 3500 miles on it and was lost to a pot hole that cut the valve stem off.

Any questions, please call
309-287-1425
I guess they stopped talking a while back and are all cutting and welding now
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #319
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 726
A DS Trailer still intrigues me.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #320
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 453
Some people play solitaire on the computer in their spare time, I surf Craiglist motorcycles in the same mind set. So one day on my lunch break there was a scooter for free first come first serve. I called him, was the first caller and made arrangements to pick it up. I was wanting to make a trailer with one of the wheels. It was one of the China scooters, step thru, very ugly. The battery was good and it turned over like it had compression. I looked it over when I got home and it looked like the only problem was a torn rubber boot between the carb and head.
I don't like to ruin anything of value and having more projects than time I called my friend that has 2 kids. I thought he could fix it and let the kids have fun in the field. The scooter didn't look bad
(It's an ugly design) so my friend fixed the boot and since the guy gave me the signed title with the bike he put it on the road. Still rides it today. We're still looking for my wheel.

I'm wanting a trailer mainly to carry gas to get more range on my 2 stroke dual sport bikes. This same friend goes on a 4 day winter ride/camp on the trail, bring everything you need ride. With the trailer I could attend this ride.
I want to thank all the people in this thread for showing the problems you have encountered making your trailers. With each problem solved it makes the next trailer builders job a little less of a pain.
Thank you.

Danger4u2 screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 11:12 AM
Danger4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #321
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,558
I've been a longtime trailer puller...but those have been behind my road bikes. I've loved the idea of a dual-sport trailer, but it just didn't feel right using a BMX tire or something similiar. So I really like this idea of using a scooter to build a trailer with.

...In fact, I know a friend that has an old Hondu 'Spree' in his pile out back!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #322
The Cheat OP
Tard

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
I've been a longtime trailer puller...but those have been behind my road bikes. I've loved the idea of a dual-sport trailer, but it just didn't feel right using a BMX tire or something similiar. So I really like this idea of using a scooter to build a trailer with.

...In fact, I know a friend that has an old Hondu 'Spree' in his pile out back!!

Well, I have not posted on this site in a very long time, but thought I would drop by and was surprised and excited to see so many people working on a trailer of there own. Trailer update, the BMX wheel has held up amazingly well, but the tires do wear a little quick with a lot of weight on them and the joint did not offer the best tracking and stability. Working on a new design for my brother, father, and step mother to pull behind their KLR 650's. I will try to post some photos in the coming months. Unfortunately all my KTM's are gone and I don't currently own any motorcycles, but I am hoping to remedy that situation soon.
The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #323
Johnny2dogs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
i would love to have a trailer for my xr650l , that way i could fetch home bags of groceries or animal feed . so say 50 extra pounds to haul home.

im already saving coins for when some you guys launch your trailer sales biz

being as nub as i am i dunno if mono or dual wheel would be best for me but im guessing dual to remove the load centering probs we might encounter

anyway im very interested in a dual sport trailer

so yeah lets keep it going for all its worth. and like earlier post said its an unexploited niche that could very well be a gold mine for some good fab/build guy

regards and thanks , johnny
Old 06-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #324
chuggins143
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
Well, I have not posted on this site in a very long time, but thought I would drop by and was surprised and excited to see so many people working on a trailer of there own. Trailer update, the BMX wheel has held up amazingly well, but the tires do wear a little quick with a lot of weight on them and the joint did not offer the best tracking and stability. Working on a new design for my brother, father, and step mother to pull behind their KLR 650's. I will try to post some photos in the coming months. Unfortunately all my KTM's are gone and I don't currently own any motorcycles, but I am hoping to remedy that situation soon.
Cheat, I would like very much to see what you dream up for the KLRs! I'm contemplating one for my KLR (09) just to be able to haul more junk! I built one to go behind a bicycle in college for a professor that did missions in Africa during the summers... pretty simple really, just a front fork with some extra tube welded on and a small u-joint for the pivot. Wasn't pretty, but it did work. Keep us updated on your progress! Pics are greatly appreciated!
Chad
09 KLR 650, blue... Done the Doo!, Thermo-bobed!, LED driving lights, aux fuse box, HID high beam, gel battery, custom racks, tool tube, de-Californicated it, moved main fuses to side cover, relocated plate, PVC mod, Hurricane mod, bypassed the side stand switch...

RIP - 95 Honda VFR750 (the most vulgar shade of yellow I could find in the book!)
chuggins143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #325
Carl

Oddometer: 742
There are some interesting ideas and effort in this thread. W/out treading on the OP's thread, Texelent trailers have proven to be top notch both in design and build quality. I've seen them up close and in action. The big rig 1800's handle them as if nothing is being pulled.

http://www.tailwindtrailers.com/index.htm

I'm not sure if Tom, the designer/builder, would be ineterested in offering just a chassis w/out the body. The trailer chassis w/out the body is a phenomenal start for a custom DS bonzai trailer. It has low ground clearance as it is currently designed. But the chassis could easily be modified to carry some interesting items.

Tom's been pulling and designing trailers since '59, when he started w/ his Ariel Square Four. I'm sure he'd be welcome to answer any questions the DS trailer builders might have to ask.

Once again, don't want to tread on the OP thread. This thread started out or seems to be aimed towards lightweight and/or smaller frame DS chassis design vs. the Texelent version which is a full size (yet still impressive) frame design.

Carl

Texelent Tailwind Chassis

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #326
chuggins143
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I've been considering building a single wheel trailer for a while now... was looking at what it would cost to buy a small spindle and a wheel. Found that just the spindle and wheel were going to cost $100 alone. So while scanning CL today I found a Aprilia RS 50 scooter for $100. Bingo! Went and took a look at it to see if it had what I thought I could use as a wheel and ended up with several bonus parts.

The front wheel is a nice aluminum 5 spoke unit that I know I can get a tire for that will stand up to highway speeds. The rear suspension consisted of a single coil over shock type setup, and I took my portable bandsaw and cut off the upper frame mount so I can weld that on for mounting purposes. I was going to use the single sided rear wheel, but found that it mounts on a splined spindle. So that was a no go... would have been pretty slick though. Anywho, let the carnage begin!

More to come...
C
09 KLR 650, blue... Done the Doo!, Thermo-bobed!, LED driving lights, aux fuse box, HID high beam, gel battery, custom racks, tool tube, de-Californicated it, moved main fuses to side cover, relocated plate, PVC mod, Hurricane mod, bypassed the side stand switch...

RIP - 95 Honda VFR750 (the most vulgar shade of yellow I could find in the book!)
chuggins143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #327
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuggins143 View Post
I've been considering building a single wheel trailer for a while now... was looking at what it would cost to buy a small spindle and a wheel. Found that just the spindle and wheel were going to cost $100 alone. So while scanning CL today I found a Aprilia RS 50 scooter for $100. Bingo! Went and took a look at it to see if it had what I thought I could use as a wheel and ended up with several bonus parts.

The front wheel is a nice aluminum 5 spoke unit that I know I can get a tire for that will stand up to highway speeds. The rear suspension consisted of a single coil over shock type setup, and I took my portable bandsaw and cut off the upper frame mount so I can weld that on for mounting purposes. I was going to use the single sided rear wheel, but found that it mounts on a splined spindle. So that was a no go... would have been pretty slick though. Anywho, let the carnage begin!

More to come...
C
One word...

P I C T U R E S
Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #328
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 747
How dirty was your sleeping bag from that trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim503 View Post
i pulled this from MN to OH [IMG][/IMG][IMG]

My real name is Chris to stop the cornfusion at the RTE's
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #329
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread. But, I've been building a couple different trailers and learned a few things along the way.... I'll include a pic, because as a friend of mine always says "Don't ever tell a story without a picture!"

Has anyone else made any progress on a dual sport or single track trailer? I put together a little website to log what I'm learning as I go. http://www.moto-mule.com

Here is a picture of the latest prototype:

MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #330
Johnny2dogs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
looks good man , yeah i think thread is still active. will be following your progress for sure as i still want a trailer for my pig one day and i really enjoy watching you pioneers fabricate stuff

my goal is to one day haul a 50# bag of feed back from the farm supply store down the road