ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #331
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider
 
rw4x4van's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 533
.....glad to see this thread is coming back to life
__________________
Ray

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #332
JMforPres
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JMforPres's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 352
Me too, I am interested.
__________________
R100GS
R1150GS
R1150RT
77 R100RS
"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JMforPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #333
hahmule
Balding Gloriously
 
hahmule's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Nowhere Valley, CA
Oddometer: 615
Very Cool!

In the Peoples Republic of California, it's never to early to think about licensing issues. Doubtful it will sell without a plate. Keep us posted.
__________________
What a lovely bunch of coconuts.

Better to be a fast mule than a slow race horse.
hahmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #334
JMforPres
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JMforPres's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 352
I checked out how to get a license plate in North Carolina. It does not sound difficult.

Jon
__________________
R100GS
R1150GS
R1150RT
77 R100RS
"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JMforPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #335
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer
 
Off Road Ryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Kent Wa
Oddometer: 2,333
Great thread

Us here at Cyclops are also working on a dual sports trail worthy trailer. My idea came from a personal need.I had no idea that others would find a trailer useful..
our plan is for a all Carbon Fiber/kevlar, single wheel, covered unit that is capable of high speeds and a single track beatdown.
I'm glad to see this thread.. Ill post photos as the molds are being made.
__________________
When Quality matters,Its all about choices.
Cyclops Performance LED Vendors thread
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839163
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #336
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?
 
ag_streak's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: At the pointy ends of the bell curve (33702)
Oddometer: 3,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread. But, I've been building a couple different trailers and learned a few things along the way.... I'll include a pic, because as a friend of mine always says "Don't ever tell a story without a picture!"

Has anyone else made any progress on a dual sport or single track trailer? I put together a little website to log what I'm learning as I go. http://www.moto-mule.com

Here is a picture of the latest prototype:

That's rather impressive, good job! And reading your web page at the link, I think you've answered your own question about the wheel. I humbly suggest you need to use a DOT approved wheel and tire, and you should try a scooter or moped wheel.
__________________
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. J. Krishnamurthy
BC, Canada Ride Report - Nova Scotia, Canada Ride Report

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #337
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer
 
subybaja's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Anchorage (Spenard)
Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
Us here at Cyclops are also working on a dual sports trail worthy trailer. My idea came from a personal need.I had no idea that others would find a trailer useful..
our plan is for a all Carbon Fiber/kevlar, single wheel, covered unit that is capable of high speeds and a single track beatdown.
I'm glad to see this thread.. Ill post photos as the molds are being made.
Kinda tough to weld back together post-rock, innit?

My understanding of CF was that it can't be repaired like fiberglass- once it cracks, throw it away. Is that true?
__________________
We had part of a Slinky. But I straightened it.
subybaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #338
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,673
Carbon Fibre

From following the thread on making carbon fibre luggage I believe it is repairable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
Kinda tough to weld back together post-rock, innit?

My understanding of CF was that it can't be repaired like fiberglass- once it cracks, throw it away. Is that true?
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #339
yosso
Studly Adventurer
 
yosso's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: SW Missouri
Oddometer: 969
Heavy duty bicycle axles for touring, any stouter than what is currently being utlized?

http://downtheroad.org/Equipment/Whe...uring_Hubs.htm
__________________
Honda ST1300/2000 Suzuki DRZ400E/Ducati 750 Monster re-work Blog
yosso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #340
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrBracket's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Springfield, Oregon
Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso View Post
Heavy duty bicycle axles for touring, any stouter than what is currently being utlized?

http://downtheroad.org/Equipment/Whe...uring_Hubs.htm
Those hubs would indeed be stouter, however the axle breaking was not the only downfall of the bicycle wheel. I found myself wondering how long the thinner rubber casing of the tire was going to hold up as I bombed down dirt roads that had exposed rocks on them. I had to run the tire pressure much higher to avoid getting a pinch flat, which in turn didn't allow the rubber to flex much and help gain traction. I've made the decision that due to the higher speeds of the motorcycle, a motorcycle tire and wheel are necessary. The bicycle wheel will work for some conditions, but in my opinion, only a motorcycle wheel will deliver for a dual sport trailer capable of true single track riding.

I just picked up a small motorcyle wheel, going to fit it to the exsisting proto-type trailer without changing anything else and see what effects I can observe.
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #341
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrBracket's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Springfield, Oregon
Oddometer: 256
Haven't got it powder coated yet, but here's a couple sneak peak pics of the revised prototype....





Changed to a motorcycle wheel, mounted the shock vertically, and increased the size of the cargo area. So far, the changes seem to huge improvements!!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #342
duanew1
In my Pajama pants
 
duanew1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Changed to a motorcycle wheel, mounted the shock vertically, and increased the size of the cargo area. So far, the changes seem to huge improvements!!
That is almost exactly the concept that I was trying to put together. I drew it up and everything, but did not have the tools to finish the job. A friend was supposed to help me but layoffs happened and it never got completed. I also looked into the rubermaid action packer and bought a pit bike wheel off of eBay. It looks good. Are you going to make these to sell?
__________________
Bikes I own
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1992 Yamaha XT225
2008 SYM HD200

duanew1 screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 10:39 AM
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #343
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MrBracket's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Springfield, Oregon
Oddometer: 256
I want to do much more testing before I were to sell any. I'm really happy with this version, so I'm going to make another one and have my friends beta test them for me for a while. It will be good to get feedback from other people, I'm a bit biased as I made the darn thing.

The plan is to offer the basic trailer (without the rubbermaid tub, easier for someone to get one locally or bolt whichever tub they like on it) or with a flatbed deck bolted in place of the tub. Also working on mounts for the RotoPax tanks behind the tub on each side of the trailer wheel.

At this point I've only test fit it on my Husaberg, a DR650, and a DRZ400S. I need to get access to a few other dualsport bikes to test fit on them as well. At this point it will only mount on bikes that have a hollow rear axle that is at least 3/8" inside diameter.
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #344
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?
 
ag_streak's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: At the pointy ends of the bell curve (33702)
Oddometer: 3,176
Mr. Bracket,

Very sweet! One quick question...

What's the angle of the main pivot from vertical, and how/why did you choose it?

(I guess that's two questions!)
__________________
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. J. Krishnamurthy
BC, Canada Ride Report - Nova Scotia, Canada Ride Report

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #345
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy
 
EvanADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Joplor, NC
Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
I want to do much more testing before I were to sell any. I'm really happy with this version, so I'm going to make another one and have my friends beta test them for me for a while. It will be good to get feedback from other people, I'm a bit biased as I made the darn thing.

The plan is to offer the basic trailer (without the rubbermaid tub, easier for someone to get one locally or bolt whichever tub they like on it) or with a flatbed deck bolted in place of the tub. Also working on mounts for the RotoPax tanks behind the tub on each side of the trailer wheel.

At this point I've only test fit it on my Husaberg, a DR650, and a DRZ400S. I need to get access to a few other dualsport bikes to test fit on them as well. At this point it will only mount on bikes that have a hollow rear axle that is at least 3/8" inside diameter.
Pricing? I'd love one for my DR650 as an alternative to panniers...
__________________
Current Steeds: '08 FJR1300 | '02 DR650
Former Steeds: '99 DR650 | '02 DR650 | '09 DL650 | '07 B1250
9 states left to ride: WI, MN, ND, SD, UT, OK, KS, AK, and HI.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014