Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #376
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
Maybe sell it as a "kit.

I agree with subyaja, you could sell it as a bolt together kit so folks could choose their own color frame, top box, shock and rear wheel (although I do like the wheel you are using) and keep the price down. Hey, I'd be willing to buy a blueprint diagram with dimensions and parts list so I could build my own. Think on that, hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #377
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Getting the prototype back tomorrow. I loaned it out for a week to one of the guys over at ProCycle. He will be my first customer!

Here is a quote from him (copied from his email to me): "Yeah, I need one. Notice don’t WANT, but after having it for a bit, NEED is a better word. Tell people that. Use this thing for a week and you won’t want one, you will NEED one! "

He used it more as a daily commuter trailer behind his DR650 than as an adventure trailer, but still a great review!

So.....
I'm Gonna do a little test production run. I ordered up five wheels and shocks. Ordering Cro-Moly tubing tomorrow along with all the necessary bearings and nuts and bolts to build five trailers. I'm hoping this will give me a better idea how much they will actually cost to produce.

I'm not going to put any pricing or anything up on my website yet, this will just be a test run. I will offer these first five production trailers for $500. This is just for the basic trailer, no container, flatbed deck, or special hitches. That means it will fit a DRZ400, DR650, KTM, or Husaberg as built (maybe others, but I need more data). I will be making a hitch for the KLR, but that will cost extra and I don't know how much extra yet.

I don't want to offer it as a kit at this time, perhaps in the future. Many times kits sit around and don't get put together or get put together with sub par components and don't accurately represent the product. I'd like these first five trailers to get out there, get used, and gain exposure.

The action packer tubs work great and are avaliable at most home improvement stores like Home Depot or Lowes. You do need to put a pin in the handles to keep the lid on when you bomb down gravel roads or dirt trails. I've had to stop and retrieve the lid a couple times, at first I stuck a little twig in each handle when I noticed the issue out in the woods. A simple "R" shaped hair pin used on hitch pins works great to keep the handles latched.

If you are interested in owning one of the first five moto-mule trailers send me an email with your contact and bike info to mtsfabman@yahoo.com We will figure out the payment arrangement. The first five should be done before Thanksgiving.

Thanks for all your input!
Mike
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #378
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,211
Awesome little trailer.I never like the one wheeler until I saw sport bikes killing curves with them.I'm planning a cross country tour of the US.I may have to look into these more when the time draws near.I'll have to fab up a hitch for my bike.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:09 AM   #379
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
I will be making a hitch for the KLR, but that will cost extra and I don't know how much extra yet.
Mike
Email sent.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #380
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,071
I want to see the loaner with the lights mounted. I will take a first production run model. Can I choose the frame color? Like KTM orange with a black wheel? Or I can use the black and red on another bike I got
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #381
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Getting the prototype back tomorrow. I loaned it out for a week to one of the guys over at ProCycle. He will be my first customer!

Here is a quote from him (copied from his email to me): "Yeah, I need one. Notice don’t WANT, but after having it for a bit, NEED is a better word. Tell people that. Use this thing for a week and you won’t want one, you will NEED one! "

Thanks for all your input!
Mike

Mr Bracket.....where are you located

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #382
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey guys,

I live in Springfield Oregon, only a couple miles from ProCycle. I know the guys over there, when I mentioned the trailer to them they were excited about it. They have seen it evolve over the past few months and were more than willing to test it out for me.

I'll get a few pics posted of the lights ProCycle mounted on it. You can see in the road video I posted that they had a brake/tail light mounted on it. I've been told they added turn signals now too. I believe they are interested in selling a lighting kit for the trailer.

I already ordered the wheels and shocks, so the first five trailers will have the same color scheme as the prototype. They will have black frames with the red rims and red shocks. After this initial produciton run I hope to have a better idea what they cost to produce and would be able to have an idea what other options like colors and such might cost.

I've already had a couple serious emails from people that want one of the first five. I should be clear also, there will be five availiable, I already had another wheel and shock to build the one for the guy over at ProCycle, his will be frame number 0001. The five availiable will be frames #0002 through #0006. I have mentioned to the people that emailed me that I will also throw in a few extras with the first five trailers. I am ironing out the details on a fender for the trailer, the first five will get one at no extra cost. Also, I will put together a fastener kit if you plan to use a Rubbermaid Action Packer tub, not a big deal, but it will keep you from having to run to the hardware store.

I am taking measurements today of a couple KLR's so I can make a hitch to fit those bikes. The KLR does not have a large enough hole through the axle to work with the trailer. I will make a couple adapters that will fasten to the swingarm of the KLR allowing the trailer to mount to them. I hope to have that figured out here soon so KLR owners could take advantage of one of the first five trailers as well. The KLR hitch will cost extra, I don't know how much yet.

Thanks again!
Mike
Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #383
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Hey guys,

I live in Springfield Oregon, only a couple miles from ProCycle. I know the guys over there, when I mentioned the trailer to them they were excited about it. They have seen it evolve over the past few months and were more than willing to test it out for me.

I'll get a few pics posted of the lights ProCycle mounted on it. You can see in the road video I posted that they had a brake/tail light mounted on it. I've been told they added turn signals now too. I believe they are interested in selling a lighting kit for the trailer.

I already ordered the wheels and shocks, so the first five trailers will have the same color scheme as the prototype. They will have black frames with the red rims and red shocks. After this initial produciton run I hope to have a better idea what they cost to produce and would be able to have an idea what other options like colors and such might cost.

I've already had a couple serious emails from people that want one of the first five. I should be clear also, there will be five availiable, I already had another wheel and shock to build the one for the guy over at ProCycle, his will be frame number 0001. The five availiable will be frames #0002 through #0006. I have mentioned to the people that emailed me that I will also throw in a few extras with the first five trailers. I am ironing out the details on a fender for the trailer, the first five will get one at no extra cost. Also, I will put together a fastener kit if you plan to use a Rubbermaid Action Packer tub, not a big deal, but it will keep you from having to run to the hardware store.

I am taking measurements today of a couple KLR's so I can make a hitch to fit those bikes. The KLR does not have a large enough hole through the axle to work with the trailer. I will make a couple adapters that will fasten to the swingarm of the KLR allowing the trailer to mount to them. I hope to have that figured out here soon so KLR owners could take advantage of one of the first five trailers as well. The KLR hitch will cost extra, I don't know how much yet.

Thanks again!
Mike
Put me on the list for a KLR setup when you get them figured out. Email sent

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."

Wlfman screwed with this post 10-20-2011 at 01:00 PM
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #384
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Alright KLR650 guys... Does this look like your swingarm/rear axle arrangement?

I was told that this is a 2006 KLR650 and that the swingarm/rear axle assembly was the same from 1987-2007. KLR guys, is this true? If you have a KLR and are interested in a trailer, is this what yours looks like?

If so, I'm working on a hitch solution for the bike in this picture. I'll keep you posted as to what I come up with.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #385
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:

I was told that this is a 2006 KLR650 and that the swingarm/rear axle assembly was the same from 1987-2007. KLR guys, is this true? If you have a KLR and are interested in a trailer, is this what yours looks like?

If so, I'm working on a hitch solution for the bike in this picture. I'll keep you posted as to what I come up with.
Yes, that's it. 87-07 all the same.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #386
TWT Rider
Riiiiiiide

Oddometer: 23
Quote:

I can put my Trailer on it with a minor Axle mod, and it works awesome
TWT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #387
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWT Rider View Post
I can put my Trailer on it with a minor Axle mod, and it works awesome
Can we see that please?
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #388
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
nice rig

I was laughing when I watched the video when you hit the trails pretty hard! how much weight was in the trailer for that video?

Is the bracket to the bike axle fixed or does it rotate around the axle? Do you have any mounting ideas for an XR650R?

how many of the first run are left?
walkergreenlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #389
TWT Rider
Riiiiiiide

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Can we see that please?
I shouldn't say easy mod, as it is a bit costly. What I've done a few times if make a custom axle where my Trailer attaches to. But it does work very well
TWT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #390
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 448
Quote:

I don't know about the KLR, but it's very similar to my Transalp. If you can make it work for that as well I would be very interested.

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote