Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #391
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkergreenlabel View Post
I was laughing when I watched the video when you hit the trails pretty hard! how much weight was in the trailer for that video?

Is the bracket to the bike axle fixed or does it rotate around the axle? Do you have any mounting ideas for an XR650R?

how many of the first run are left?
In the Trailer Cam video I had about 25 pounds in the trailer. Just a tool bag, rain gear, and two sleeping bags. I stuffed the sleeping bags in there to keep the tool bag from flying around inside the tub.

The hitch setup allows the trailer to rotate "up and down" by rotating inside the axle of the motorcycle. It "turns" left and right in the upright tube behind the rear wheel of the motorcycle.

I'd need to know the overall length of the rear axle on the XR650R as well as the inside diameter of the axle. I do know that the XR650L has too small of a hole through the axle to work with this trailer. You need to be able to stick something 3/8" in diameter clear through the axle.
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #392
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

1987-2007 KLR650 Owners!!!

Here is what I have come up with for the KLR....

Start with this:

Remove this:

Now looks like this:

Trade old for new:

Install New: Mirror image on other side, two brackets total.

Leave this on at all times if you like, should stay out of the way:

Now you can pull a Moto-Mule Trailer:

Closeup:

MrBracket screwed with this post 10-21-2011 at 02:11 PM Reason: added more info
Old 10-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #393
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,062
That's a nice set up.How much would just the adjuster plates cost?I think they may fit my GS500.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #394
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

A lot of people have expressed interest in the first five production trailers. I don't want to take anybody's money yet, not until the trailers are actually done and ready to ship. What I've decided to do is start a list of people who have emailed me about wanting one of the first five. I'll keep track of who was first to contact me and they will be at the top of the list. I'll start at the top of the list and contact people when the trailers are done and collect money then if they still want a trailer. If not, I'll work my way down the list.

To get on the list, I need you to email me your name, screen name too, your bike info, and the best way to contact you. My email address is mtsfabman@yahoo.com you can also just PM me here on the board as well if that works better for you.

This seems to be the most fair way to handle this promo deal as I don't want to take anyones money yet.

So far the list is as follows:

1) c2c4c, 2002 DR650
2) Wlfman, 2006 KLR650
3) Screen Name, ???? XR650R (will need data on axle to make sure it will fit)
4) Cromoth, 2008 WR250R
5) WalkerGreenLabel, XR650R (will need data on axle to make sure it will fit)
6)
7)

Is it ok to post screen names on this list so you know you are?? I don't want to offend anyone or break any rules.. If you think you are on this list and don't mind me posting your screen name, pm or email me and I'll put your screen name up here.

Thanks,
Mike

MrBracket screwed with this post 10-27-2011 at 09:40 AM Reason: added Wlfman, c2c4c
Old 10-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #395
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
That's a nice set up.How much would just the adjuster plates cost?I think they may fit my GS500.
I'm going to start out with offering them for $50 a set for this first production run. The trail tail KLR setup sells for $250 and appears to be quite bulky??? Not bashing, just pointing out some differences.

I'd need dimensions of your GS500 adjuster plates to see if they would fit.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #396
Dblarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Here is what I have come up with for the KLR....

As a KLR driver I have been wanting a trailer like this myself. Looking at this my concern is the strength of the bolt and the threads of the bolt and the total weight of the trailer. Do you have an empty trailer weight yet?

Nice job so far.
Dblarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #397
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblarrow View Post
As a KLR driver I have been wanting a trailer like this myself. Looking at this my concern is the strength of the bolt and the threads of the bolt and the total weight of the trailer. Do you have an empty trailer weight yet?

Nice job so far.
The only load on the bolt will be tension as there is a shoulder on the back edge of the plate that slides inside the swingarm. I do not have a total weight of the trailer yet, I took it all apart to build welding fixtures. I'll weigh it when I get the first one done.

I did get the shocks in today!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #398
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,339
Great job on the KLR plate fab! On the list. eMail sent

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #399
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Now looks like this:

That's a very elegant solution and I appluad your skills, but I'd be concerned about the stresses on that stock axle puller.

As designed by the factory, that pin holds the axle back away from the pull of the chain. With that plate you designed pulling the trailer, all the tension would tend to pull the axle back in the swingarm. The only thing keeping the axle from moving would be the friction of the axle bolt.

In other words, if the friction on the axle nuts holding the axle in place against the swingarm was overcome, the axle would move backwards, tightening the chain. It could move back suddenly or slowly, and evenly or only on one side, cocking the axle out of alignment

I'm not criticizing in any way! I think your design is very cool, and I only point this out in the interest of engineering and safety! Just something to think about?

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #400
Dblarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, since you don't know your trailer weight - what are your spring weights on your shocks here? and how do you know how to size them? As light as this trailer is, is the shock going to absorb the bounce? I pulled a trailer behind a CB 750 and the shocks were to stiff and the thing just bounced around and stuff inside the box just took a beating....

Understand the shoulder on the plate, I was referring to the possibility of stripping the threads off the bolt? If that is a dumb question bummer, I am a wood guy and wood trailers don't hold up as well!!

Quote:
The only load on the bolt will be tension as there is a shoulder on the back edge of the plate that slides inside the swingarm. I do not have a total weight of the trailer yet, I took it all apart to build welding fixtures. I'll weigh it when I get the first one done.

I did get the shocks in today!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #401
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
That's a very elegant solution and I appluad your skills, but I'd be concerned about the stresses on that stock axle puller.

As designed by the factory, that pin holds the axle back away from the pull of the chain. With that plate you designed pulling the trailer, all the tension would tend to pull the axle back in the swingarm. The only thing keeping the axle from moving would be the friction of the axle bolt.

In other words, if the friction on the axle nuts holding the axle in place against the swingarm was overcome, the axle would move backwards, tightening the chain. It could move back suddenly or slowly, and evenly or only on one side, cocking the axle out of alignment

I'm not criticizing in any way! I think your design is very cool, and I only point this out in the interest of engineering and safety! Just something to think about?
Is this not the same as running through the center of the axle? The chain adjuster bolt is connected to a block that encircles the axle inside the swingarm.

It is true, if the trailer was to suddenly pull, like it getting hooked up on something while riding, it would try to pull the axle backwards. If something didn't break, it could cock the wheel inside the swingarm because the chain would stop one side from pulling back. I have not had this happen. I imagine the alum plate I made would crack in half before damaging the chain adjuster.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #402
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblarrow View Post
Thanks, since you don't know your trailer weight - what are your spring weights on your shocks here? and how do you know how to size them? As light as this trailer is, is the shock going to absorb the bounce? I pulled a trailer behind a CB 750 and the shocks were to stiff and the thing just bounced around and stuff inside the box just took a beating....

Understand the shoulder on the plate, I was referring to the possibility of stripping the threads off the bolt? If that is a dumb question bummer, I am a wood guy and wood trailers don't hold up as well!!
No such thing as dumb questions, I just don't know all the answers.... The shocks were sized by what was availiable and trial and error. I started with a mountain bike shock and it was too soft, went to this mini motorcycle shock and it works great. Watch the videos I posted, you can see that the trailer suspension absorbs the bumps quite well. The shock spring rates are only one part of the equation, how you mount them makes a big difference. On a swingarm for example, the can be mounted very close to the pivot point, or far from the pivot point like older motorcycles were made. The distance makes a huge difference on the load the shock sees.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #403
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Is this not the same as running through the center of the axle?
Now that I think about it, you're absolutely right. The force would be the same as on the through-axle design. The axle could move on/in the swingarm adjustments unless the axle bolts are nice and snug to prevent it. I never thought of that until I looked at the picture of the block you made and thought about the force pulling on the axle inside the swingarm...

Quote:
It is true, if the trailer was to suddenly pull, like it getting hooked up on something while riding, it would try to pull the axle backwards. If something didn't break, it could cock the wheel inside the swingarm because the chain would stop one side from pulling back. I have not had this happen. I imagine the alum plate I made would crack in half before damaging the chain adjuster.
Yeah, some positive device to hold the axle from sliding would be ideal, but I agree, it's probably not a problem as long as you are diligent in keeping the axle nut tightened to spec. The axle to swingarm interface is designed to hold some pretty serious forces!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #404
Dblarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks! Look forward to hearing some user testimony.

Quote:
No such thing as dumb questions, I just don't know all the answers.... The shocks were sized by what was availiable and trial and error. I started with a mountain bike shock and it was too soft, went to this mini motorcycle shock and it works great. Watch the videos I posted, you can see that the trailer suspension absorbs the bumps quite well. The shock spring rates are only one part of the equation, how you mount them makes a big difference. On a swingarm for example, the can be mounted very close to the pivot point, or far from the pivot point like older motorcycles were made. The distance makes a huge difference on the load the shock sees.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #405
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

The wheels came in today via UPS!!!

Hope to make some good progress next week on the trailers. Been building welding fixtures and collecting materials....