Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #31
The Cheat OP
Tard

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut46
Maybe a front wheel/tire from a dirt bike would work well. The rim, axle, bearings etc. would be time proven to the task and assembly/removal would be cake. Also a larger diameter tire is beneficial in many ways. The "forks"-like structure that holds the wheel in place could run horizontal (parallel to the ground) and act as support for the frame.
Just keeping the ideas flowing.

I am actually looking into using a motorcycle wheel, but believe t not the 20" freestyle wheel I am currently using is holding up very well. It supports 200lbs. riders who quite often do 5' or 6' jumps on to flat landings. And from what I can tell(haven't measured yet) the axle is the same diameter as a axle on a 50cc motorcycle!! The main reason I hope this wheel proves itself, is weight. It weighs 1/3 of most mini moto wheels. I really want to keep the weight of this trailer down low. The next trailer I am building will be all aluminum and feature rear suspension!!!

O and the fork like structure already is tied in to the frame for more support. I am going to take some more pictures to show this better, but here is one you can kind of see the rear fork assembly.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated More input please. Tell me if you love tell me if you hate and why. I want to know.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:13 AM   #32
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,683
Thumb

On yah cheatster,

I look forward to the next itteration - the suspended version.
To get a trailer registered for road use in OZ it will need brake lights, indicators and a plate! It will also need to be able to carry a box of beer.

Dave
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #33
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
I have been facinated with this entire thread. I have been toying with the idea of building a trailer to tow behind my Triumph Tiger for mainly highway duty with the occasional light off road jaunt or two.

So my needs are thus:
-Must be stable, and handle high speeds. Thinking about a scooter tire, or sport bike wheel/tire. Something that I can run a radial on for smoother ride.

-Must have suspension. Been looking at building my own swingarm from box section aluminum and then use a moutnain bike shock. Would give me 4-6" of suspension travel and I can use the threaded spring adjuster to adjust for weight of load.

-Must carry the load low enough to have a low center of gravity, but high enough to clear off road obsticals that I would encounter (nothing too severe), and offer good cornering clearance.

-Be lightweight, so I think I will make the frame entirely of aluminum. Hmmmm, maybe a "unibody" type of construction that the case itself is the frame.... Something else to consider..
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #34
The Cheat OP
Tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
I have been facinated with this entire thread. I have been toying with the idea of building a trailer to tow behind my Triumph Tiger for mainly highway duty with the occasional light off road jaunt or two.

So my needs are thus:
-Must be stable, and handle high speeds. Thinking about a scooter tire, or sport bike wheel/tire. Something that I can run a radial on for smoother ride.

-Must have suspension. Been looking at building my own swingarm from box section aluminum and then use a moutnain bike shock. Would give me 4-6" of suspension travel and I can use the threaded spring adjuster to adjust for weight of load.

-Must carry the load low enough to have a low center of gravity, but high enough to clear off road obsticals that I would encounter (nothing too severe), and offer good cornering clearance.

-Be lightweight, so I think I will make the frame entirely of aluminum. Hmmmm, maybe a "unibody" type of construction that the case itself is the frame.... Something else to consider..
The Unibody thing sounds like an interesting idea! I am with you on the MTB shock thing. I have two that I am toying around with. A Fox Alps air shock and a Fox Vanilla coil. Both are made for Mountain bike frames. Question for ya. Do you use a Tig for welding aluminum? I currently have a Miller Matic 210 and I just ordered a Spool gun for aluminum. I have access to a TIG machine, but I am still learning.

Love to hear more!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 09:03 PM   #35
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat
The Unibody thing sounds like an interesting idea! I am with you on the MTB shock thing. I have two that I am toying around with. A Fox Alps air shock and a Fox Vanilla coil. Both are made for Mountain bike frames. Question for ya. Do you use a Tig for welding aluminum? I currently have a Miller Matic 210 and I just ordered a Spool gun for aluminum. I have access to a TIG machine, but I am still learning.

Love to hear more!!!
I only have a Tig. A very nice Lincoln Square Wave Tig. Wish I had a spool gun for some of the heavier stuff though. But tig does a wonderfull job.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:45 PM   #36
Towpilot
OverVNE

Oddometer: 189
Any ideas are greatly appreciated More input please. Tell me if you love tell me if you hate and why. I want to know.

[/quote]

If you hit a bump just right, will it bounce up & hit you in the back of the head?
Sorry, couldn't resist.
-Dan
Old 01-22-2006, 11:23 PM   #37
The Cheat OP
Tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towpilot

If you hit a bump just right, will it bounce up & hit you in the back of the head?
Sorry, couldn't resist.
-Dan[/quote]

No smart ass, but thats very funny!!! It can articulate about 50 degrees up or down from it's normal riding position. Or would that be pulling position?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:47 AM   #38
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
I like the idea of an open trailer verses a closed in trailer...more versatile in my mind....

Aesthetically....I really like the overall form and the frame, but I think the diamond plate is out of place and "dumbs down" your nice piece of sculpture...

Anything in that open trailer is going to be filthy in short order...so your stuff is going to go in drybags...why not do away with the solid diamond plate in favor of something lighter, and more aesthetically pleasing...

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.

sherpa screwed with this post 01-23-2006 at 06:52 AM
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:44 AM   #39
The Cheat OP
Tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa
I like the idea of an open trailer verses a closed in trailer...more versatile in my mind....

Aesthetically....I really like the overall form and the frame, but I think the diamond plate is out of place and "dumbs down" your nice piece of sculpture...

Anything in that open trailer is going to be filthy in short order...so your stuff is going to go in drybags...why not do away with the solid diamond plate in favor of something lighter, and more aesthetically pleasing...
I have found the front of the trailer needs some sort of protection from roost and mud. I happened to have the aluminum diamond plating and gave it a try. I have been looking for a dry bag bag to put in it. I want something that opens more like a duffel bag. Went to REI didn't find any I liked. I will look in to alternative floor pan and guard material. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #40
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
I would be interested to see what the 'tongue weight' of that setup is going to be. If you are doing a bob in the attempt to move weight off the bike, I would think you would want to mount the tire on the bob where it would be handling more of the weight instead of the hitch. Just like a car, you are still going to want a percentage of the weight on the hitch so that the thing will steer properly and not give you a negative weight load on the bike.

Just doing some rough estimates, it looks like up to 20% of the weight on the trailer could be shifted from the bike to the bob wheel by moving the bob wheel up to where the axel is almost even with the back of the load platform.

However, that might create some adverse effects on your choice of bob wheel. You might need something heavier duty to counter the increased weight load.

I don't know, just a few thoughts.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #41
Whammo
Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer: 2,181
Has anyone had an idea about suspension, or does it do okay just bouncing along on one wheel? I also like the look of an open trailer...much easier to strap stuff to it and keep it from flopping all over the place.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:51 PM   #42
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat
I have found the front of the trailer needs some sort of protection from roost and mud. I happened to have the aluminum diamond plating and gave it a try. I have been looking for a dry bag bag to put in it. I want something that opens more like a duffel bag. Went to REI didn't find any I liked. I will look in to alternative floor pan and guard material. Thanks for the input.
Try Cabelas.
I got a large one of these for Christmas and it looks real nice, the price is great too. The bigger one would probably hold all you'd want to carry.

Here is the link to the bag
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...126&hasJS=true
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #43
The Cheat OP
Tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammo
Has anyone had an idea about suspension, or does it do okay just bouncing along on one wheel? I also like the look of an open trailer...much easier to strap stuff to it and keep it from flopping all over the place.
I am working on a suspended version of my trailer, but the rigid version does pretty well though. It only bounces a little on really big bumps offroad. I am working on posting a video so you can see what I am talking about.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:28 AM   #44
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Ortlieb makes duffel like dry bags that open along the top. They make an extra large one that you don't see carried by the more common vendors. I have one and it's huge.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #45
raven955i
formerly - lenq

Oddometer: 564
Here is one I was looking at building up to pull with my Tiger. I have not done anything other than think about it though...
Attached Images

Current - ...where to begin...

The wheel is spinning, but the hamster is dead.
raven955i is offline   Reply With Quote