ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
Coaster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Seattle bound - how's the riding?

I am on the east coast but expect a job to take me to Seattle. What kind of off-road and dual sport opportunities should I expect to find? I currently own a KTM 300 which I use for enduros and dual sport rides. However, I am leaning towards adding a more street legal dual sport bike as well once I move.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
ssbnveteran
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Great rides year round, IF you DON't mind the RAIN!

I don't know what you're looking for, but we have some great rides & scenery for dual-sporting. There are countless miles of logging & Forest Service roads in both the Cascade & Olympic Mountains. We’re close to many picturesque rides through WA, OR & BC, mountain rides, coastal rides, etc. There is the Puget Sound Enduro Riders club & several ORV riding areas. Hope you’re not a fair weather rider; it does rain about 3/4 of the year here.

Check out: http://www.soundrider.com/
ssbnveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,105
Here is another place that has a local feel.

http://www.trailpilgrim.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=25
Old 01-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
It never ends out here

we ride. a lot.

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster
What kind of off-road and dual sport opportunities should I expect to find? I currently own a KTM 300 which I use for enduros and dual sport rides. However, I am leaning towards adding a more street legal dual sport bike as well once I move.
Lot's of dual sport roads around the PNW, ya like mud? in about 5 months I'll be complaining about the dust

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
It's good for some types of riding, not for others. Of course, it's all what you're used to - compared to most east coast locations, there's a LOT more space to play with out here.

Dual-sport explorations are great. There's lots of forest and logging roads, although gates are often a problem. And rain/snow limit things, depending on how hard-core you are. But there are quite a few options and lots of nice roads.

Hard-core dirt riding (non street-legal bikes) and single-track... not so good. The seattle area has three decent designated ORV areas not too far away, but they all take 1-2 hours of slogging in heavy traffic or a ferry ride to get to. Seattle has sprawled out to huge dimensions and is bounded by water and traffic, so getting around is no picnic. Western WA is really pretty hemmed in by mountains and water, so there are none of the truly wide-open spaces like you have throughout much of the W. It's a fairly urban area. But if you're willing to make a long day of it (or better yet camp) you can get into some incredible areas, particularly around Adams, St. Helens, and E. WA.

Backroads street riding has gone into the toilet with urban sprawl. Everybody has their horse-acre lots and the cops are dranconian. St. Helens is nice, but is only open four or five months a year and the cops are cracking down there too. Lots of traffic. Western WA is a pretty crappy sportbiking area, at least by western standards. I generally head down to E. Oregon (or even CA) for serious sportbiking.

My advice: sell the KTM300, get a DRZ400S, and explore.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,307
It's awful, stay away.....oh and the rain never, ever stops.
Look up threads by Advriders Mr. Cob, Saddletramp. They suck and their reports are shit.
This will give you some idea of what's in store for you....

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here....or something like that...
PS Invest in Gore Tex...did I mention that it rains here?

Cheers,
Jorge

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #8
phlat65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
well, you do have to drive a bit to get to the great riding, there are MANY great places to ride for day trips. spring to fall riding in eastern WA is the best in the country IMHO. we do 100+ mile loops in the Mad River area, Tanum/ Teanaway, ect. the wet weather riding in Belfair and Shelton is also excelent. just east of Gold Bar WA is the Reiter riding area, possibly the most technical riding around. couple H.S. there and a 24 hr team race (recomend doing once in your life, can't duplicate the feeling at 4 AM)

we have a 5 race Enduro Series, and a 10+ race Hare Scrambles series. there is a full poker run series, and some other events, my fave being the Scottish Trials at Walker Valley.

check out www.nmaoffroad.org for info on riding areas and upcoming events, or contact me when you get here, and I will hook you up with local rides. I will be contesting the whole Enduro series, and some H.S this year, with some hard core and dual sport riding in the summer.
phlat65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
Coaster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlat65
well, you do have to drive a bit to get to the great riding, there are MANY great places to ride for day trips. spring to fall riding in eastern WA is the best in the country IMHO. we do 100+ mile loops in the Mad River area, Tanum/ Teanaway, ect. the wet weather riding in Belfair and Shelton is also excelent. just east of Gold Bar WA is the Reiter riding area, possibly the most technical riding around. couple H.S. there and a 24 hr team race (recomend doing once in your life, can't duplicate the feeling at 4 AM)

we have a 5 race Enduro Series, and a 10+ race Hare Scrambles series. there is a full poker run series, and some other events, my fave being the Scottish Trials at Walker Valley.

check out www.nmaoffroad.org for info on riding areas and upcoming events, or contact me when you get here, and I will hook you up with local rides. I will be contesting the whole Enduro series, and some H.S this year, with some hard core and dual sport riding in the summer.
Phlat65 Thanks for the offer. I'll give you a holler when I get out there. I'm used to driving 100-200 miles to do my rides so I don't mind. Especially if there is good camping involved. What are the enduros like, real tight, rocky? I'm a senior C to B level enduro rider and rode some of the very tight New jersey and rocky pennsylvania enduros. Mostly for the challenge and comraderie, I started riding dirt to late in life.

Coaster screwed with this post 01-17-2006 at 03:46 PM
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
phlat65
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
the enduros are very tame these days, long gone are the days of 30% finishers. they do run a short and long course, long course wold be AA, A (open 200, VET) B (open, 200). C classes, Senior, youth, ect run short course. the woods here are tight, with a long enduro being 80 ground miles, but I have done 100 mile enduros here. I am out of shape these days, and struggled to push hard at the end of the 80 milers last year, but that is the fun part to me.... lots of guys like the 300's out here, I think that is the largest bike that goes really well in the woods. I personally run the 125, and can't imagine needing much more HP, except at 5,000 feet and up

I did finish 2nd OA at the Black Bear Enduro in 2000 on a 125, so they do work pretty good.

there are also some private motocross clubs around if you are into that.
phlat65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #11
TongueLady
Shine A Light

Oddometer: 357
And then there's the RAIN...did anybody mention the RAIN???

Lots of great camping...in the RAIN...

Lotsa good beers, too!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #12
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,193
its sad if you knew what it used to be. used to be wide open. E. Wa still has some great areas. enough tight stuff at reiter/walker to make you hate roots.
only thing I can add, is get up to BC, shit loads still up there. but they have their problems too. less sound=more ground

does your KTM have a plate? can you get it tagged? its worth gold here if you can, or if you cant if your driving out, stop off in montana/colorado . claim your a resident, get it tagged.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
Foto Veloce
The Free Radical

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
It never ends out here

we ride. a lot.
You mean we ride EVERY day...
Old 03-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #14
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foto Veloce
You mean we ride EVERY day...
Just about, didn't ride in the snow today, yeah I know...............I'm a puss

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:36 AM   #15
Foto Veloce
The Free Radical

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash
Just about, didn't ride in the snow today, yeah I know...............I'm a puss
You should try it some time.. it's lots of fun!!!