ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #16
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Yaaaaaaa. Less motorhomes on the BRP is a good thing.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:52 PM   #17
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,835
I have ridden the parkway top to bottom and back around 8 times ,16 total runs. Early in the season when the services open, traffic always seems lite. lucky? I am usually 60+ a little more most of the time. So far- no tickets or pullovers, Knock on wood. I do slow around the services and such. After giving drivers a chance to use the tunouts, I'll cross the double yellow to pass if I have to. I hope the chance of a $500-1,000 ticket is the exception not the rule. If I did have to pay it, I'd say it was worth it. the road is that good.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:49 PM   #18
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,098
Provided the road is open (clear of ice), there is never any traffic up there in January or February.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:53 AM   #19
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by eap
Speaking of the BPR, has anyone ever done a SS1000 using this road, with the 'contained' speeds. I wonder if it'd be decent alternative to a standard superslab SS1000.
Yes, a GS1200 rider out of Atlanta did an SS1000 on the BRP last summer. He started in the wee hours and finished after dark. You can search for his ride story on www.bmwsporttouring.com
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:32 AM   #20
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
Yes, a GS1200 rider out of Atlanta did an SS1000 on the BRP last summer. He started in the wee hours and finished after dark. You can search for his ride story on www.bmwsporttouring.com
What is it like 469 miles one way? How about a modified SS938BRP? Still gotta wait for the repairs to be completed.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:46 AM   #21
PhilSpace OP
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
Provided the road is open (clear of ice), there is never any traffic up there in January or February.
That's a big catch. We have been run off it at some point every May heading to the GMR. Everything from heavy wind and trees down to zippo visibility, some of the worst fog you could ever imagine up there.

Has anybody heard anything about the closings at Linville and Mt. Mitchell, will they finally be open this spring?

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:49 AM   #22
rluczak
Bemused

Oddometer: 218
Late March ride???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
That's a big catch. We have been run off it at some point every May heading to the GMR. Everything from heavy wind and trees down to zippo visibility, some of the worst fog you could ever imagine up there.

Has anybody heard anything about the closings at Linville and Mt. Mitchell, will they finally be open this spring?
What about in the late-March time-frame? Was planning a trip down prior to it getting too busy but was curious as to what I could expect in the way of road conditions and temps (i.e. is there the risk of ice in late March in the mtns?)

Thanks!
rluczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:05 AM   #23
scottpoley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Talking blue ridge ice

if you decide to ride the BRP in March or April, watch out for ice in the tunnels. I was riding in mid-April w/ a passenger, entered a tunnel and the bike started easing sideways. All I could think at the time was that if a car came along, it would probably run over us if we went down. The bike continued turning sideways, till the ice quit in the middle of the tunnel (at that point I was turned about 45 degrees). The dry pavement snapped us back, almost highsiding both of us, but I stayed upright. Did have to resecure the luggage, though (that was a huge duffel, two sleeping bags, a tent and misc. tied all over my Kawi 500 mach III with only a sissy bar).
Ah, those were the days.....when we didn't know any better!
scott
scottpoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #24
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdconfsd
You'd also have to manage to get semi lucky on traffic enforcement. Last I heard the minimum fine was $500 and if they felt it was agressive driving or a couple other things it could easily be $1k
In may of last year, I rode home from Rochester, NY after the purchase of my ST1300. Somewhere around Roanoke, traveling in excess of 70mph, I met a lady Ranger. She clocked me at 64 in a 45. I thought she was going to tow my bike because I had the tag from my other bike on it. She chewed my ass good for several minutes.

She finally settled down though and dropped the ticket to 55 in a 45. The fine was only $55. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I sent them a check for $56 on the advice of a friend and it hasn't hit my insurance yet (knock, knock).

I did take it a little easier the rest of the way home to Asheville though.

Kenny
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #25
mitchxout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Hey Kenny, I'm in Asheville, too. We should go riding some time.
mitchxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:34 PM   #26
cdhall
Krishl

Oddometer: 122
SS1K on BRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap
Speaking of the BPR, has anyone ever done a SS1000 using this road, with the 'contained' speeds. I wonder if it'd be decent alternative to a standard superslab SS1000.
On July 3, 2005, I rode a 1025-mile saddlesore that included the entire BRP. I left Blacksburg VA at 0400, and took backroads, VA 18 and US 220 to Monterey, then US 250 to Waynesboro, and then jumped on the BRP. Passed a whole passle of Harleys on that beautiful Saturday, but manged to get to the Smokeys end in just under 10 hours. Then headed down to Deals Gap, over into TN, and eventually got on I-81 to finish out the last couple hundred miles on slab.

Kneebone wrote a little note to me with the certificate saying that a few years back, there was an IBR bonus that was based on riding the entire BRP.

My next SS will be entirely on backroads and entirely in southwest and western VA.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:49 PM   #27
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchxout
Hey Kenny, I'm in Asheville, too. We should go riding some time.
Sent you a pm.

Kenny
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:54 PM   #28
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
Well, I bet the number of rangers running RADAR is the same. So, the number of rangers to speeders has increased.

Barry

Actually it may have increased because of Homeland Security dollars.
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:02 PM   #29
dazdconfsd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc
In may of last year, I rode home from Rochester, NY after the purchase of my ST1300. Somewhere around Roanoke, traveling in excess of 70mph, I met a lady Ranger. She clocked me at 64 in a 45. I thought she was going to tow my bike because I had the tag from my other bike on it. She chewed my ass good for several minutes.

She finally settled down though and dropped the ticket to 55 in a 45. The fine was only $55. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I sent them a check for $56 on the advice of a friend and it hasn't hit my insurance yet (knock, knock).

I did take it a little easier the rest of the way home to Asheville though.

Kenny

Sounds like you got at least semi lucky or it's only being applied to sportbikes. I know someone who recieved $1kish in fines from riding in a rather spirited maner on the BRP. Part of it's on film too.
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:32 AM   #30
mitchxout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc
Sent you a pm.

Kenny
Thanks, but I didn't get it!?
mitchxout is offline   Reply With Quote