ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2006, 07:02 AM   #31
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Think Valentine1. It really works up there, no interference, just them and you and not to many places they can nail you well in advance.
Think Instant On Radar ....I've been shot 3 times up on the Parkway with absolutely no advanced warning...my Valentine gave me no warnings what so ever.....except for that too late, loud, teeth jarring noise in my speakers.

All 3 times have been north of 56, between there and where the Parkway turns into the Skyline Drive...

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:21 AM   #32
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Has anybody heard anything about the closings at Linville and Mt. Mitchell, will they finally be open this spring?
Pffft, who cares. All you have to do is slip past the gate on a weekend and you have it all to yourself. Note the gap to the right of the gate.

Lots of leaves

There is this one massive pothole to watch out for

But there is a sign to warn ya.

CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:49 AM   #33
PhilSpace OP
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
There is this one massive pothole to watch out for

How old is the pic? I was hoping it would be open this spring, but it sure doesn't look like it.

And Robert, I know of where you speak. There are only a couple places where they hang out betwixt 56 and I64, I generally keep an eye out. They also tend to run radar close to their donut stash at Mabry Mill and the restaurant at Peeks of Otter.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:27 AM   #34
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
How old is the pic? I was hoping it would be open this spring, but it sure doesn't look like it.
About a month after the storm. Chill. Checked on it about 2 months ago and it looks as if they are making some progress. They have had to haul in about 1000 loads of dirt...really 1000 to backfill what looks like the worlds biggest retaining wall. They also have had to move the road over into the mountain a little. Its a bunch of work, and I'm sure they are dragging it out as long as they can.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:39 AM   #35
PhilSpace OP
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
About a month after the storm. Chill. Checked on it about 2 months ago and it looks as if they are making some progress. They have had to haul in about 1000 loads of dirt...really 1000 to backfill what looks like the worlds biggest retaining wall. They also have had to move the road over into the mountain a little. Its a bunch of work, and I'm sure they are dragging it out as long as they can.
Cool, I hate getting off at Linville, and that area just south of Blowing Rock is one of my favorite parts, when you can see more than 10 feet in front of the bike.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:16 AM   #36
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,161
Quote:
when you can see more than 10 feet in front of the bike.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote