ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2006, 03:04 PM   #46
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
There is a section of GW national forest just past Broadway that has great dirt roads for any bike from GS's to XR/DR's. I am getting my large tank and new rear tire put on tomorrow so I'll be ready! Everybody is welcome to join us! We can meet somewhere in Front Royal at 10am on Sunday.
Front Royal 10 am - Ok, I'm a likely contender and will confirm Saturday... What is our meeting place? The only place I can suggest is the MickeyD's at the I66 and Rt 55 or SkylineKeith's place...

This looks like a long day down and back - so I'll be fed and fueled for a prompt start... :
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #47
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by eap
Front Royal 10 am - Ok, I'm a likely contender and will confirm Saturday... What is our meeting place? The only place I can suggest is the MickeyD's at the I66 and Rt 55 or SkylineKeith's place...

This looks like a long day down and back - so I'll be fed and fueled for a prompt start... :
You are welcome to meet at my home on Sunday. I will probably be here but I have other obligations to attend on Sunday.

Great ride today guys. We were smokin' the backroads on DRZ's a Honda XL650 and a Strom 650. Great time and perfect roads.
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #48
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineKeith
You are welcome to meet at my home on Sunday. I will probably be here but I have other obligations to attend on Sunday.

Great ride today guys. We were smokin' the backroads on DRZ's a Honda XL650 and a Strom 650. Great time and perfect roads.
Sound's good, although I wish you could ride with us.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #49
RRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
What an epic ride! 100 miles of backroads, nearly pinned the whole time, no traffic, 55 degrees and sunny- and that was just the first run.

Thanks to iDave, SkylineKeith and Dana for letting me cruise in the "rocking chair" all day.

Awesome lead iDave: great roads, great pace.

Nice to meet you SkylineKeith: that was fun today, we should meet up sometime for an off-road ride.

Dana: was continuing west on Rt.55 towards Wardensville, WV at 4:30pm...hardcore.

I might show up tomorrow to give my CBR a final run before removing the stock bodywork and replacing it with track plastic.
2004 XR650L
www.damnriders.org
RRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:17 PM   #50
jconli1
pleasant

Oddometer: 203
Sunday, sunday, SUNDAY

Any final word on meeting place tomorrow? McD's @ 10am works well for me. Only time I can ride w/Omar is when he's on the single with a gimp wrist. I'm sure I'll still have my ass handed to me, so I'll bring the eMap just in case.
--
jeff conlin
baltimore, md
'04 DL650
no... not THAT dl (f'n a-rabs)
jconli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #51
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconli1
Any final word on meeting place tomorrow? McD's @ 10am works well for me. Only time I can ride w/Omar is when he's on the single with a gimp wrist. I'm sure I'll still have my ass handed to me, so I'll bring the eMap just in case.
--
jeff conlin
baltimore, md
'04 DL650
no... not THAT dl (f'n a-rabs)
Looks like we are going to meet at Keith's place at 10 on Sunday. If you want we can meet at McShit at 9:45 and you can follow me to Keith's. Call me up tonight if you get a chance.

The f'n a-rab
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #52
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
Looks like we are going to meet at Keith's place at 10 on Sunday. If you want we can meet at McShit at 9:45 and you can follow me to Keith's. Call me up tonight if you get a chance.

The f'n a-rab
See you all there at 9:45 - I think I can find Kieth's place tho' so head on over there if'n I'm late....
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
Old 01-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #53
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave
See you at 10
Well - How'd Go?
Old 01-22-2006, 08:21 AM   #54
RRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Thumb Saturday's ride

iDave's brother, Powell, showed up on a VStrom DL1000 and I had my CBR1000RR out for a final run before being converted to full-time track use once and for all. The weather was warm and sunny but dark clouds hung over the ridges to the west. We decided on a short backroads run through northwestern Frederick Co.,VA and southwestern Berkely Co., WV. There are many interconnected, lightly traveled, twisty roads- both paved and unpaved- in this area. We wound our way northwest to the Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management Area. There is some limited, legal off-road riding allowed for licensed vehicles at Sleepy Creek WMA. Up and over Sleepy Creek mountain and then north through 10 miles of recently tarred and chipped roads to Berkely Springs, WV. Running south on stick-straight Rt.522, we entertained ourselves by passing cars during breaks in oncoming traffic. The rain came just as I approached my turn to head home. Powell continued south to Winchester. Only an 80 mile round trip but one that took full advantage of the mild weather.
2004 XR650L
www.damnriders.org

RRob screwed with this post 01-22-2006 at 10:41 AM
RRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #55
jconli1
pleasant

wheeeeeee.

didn't get as many pix as we wanted. too busy having fun (or making Stroms stick upright in the mud... or GSs wipe for no reason whatsoever... or diggin' on complementary apple fritters (but expensive cider).

Damn fine ride, and I've got the long shower and three empty beer bottles in front of me to prove it.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:38 PM   #56
carioca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Brr, i don't know how you guys do it. Its freezing out.. Brrrrrr..

Tiago Barbeiro
2000 Ducati Monster
carioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #57
jconli1
pleasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by carioca
Brr, i don't know how you guys do it. Its freezing out.. Brrrrrr..
You seem to say that a lot. The folks at Gerbing's make it easy...
Old 01-22-2006, 09:11 PM   #58
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconli1
wheeeeeee.

SNIP...
Damn fine ride, and I've got the long shower and three empty beer bottles in front of me to prove it.
-------------------------------------------------

Enjoying a couple beers here too, plus some ice on the left knee - good riding with you dudes and Following Omar - Now children, open your Virginia Gazatteers to page 72-73... go ahead and find Fulks Run and left onto Little Dry River/FR87 to intersect FR72 and down and around.... Stop for a late late lunch at Jonny Appleseed

(N38 38.991 W78 40.428) in New Market for hot apple fritters and cider, homemade biscuits and more –excerpt from gpx tracks -nice 300+ mile day here:Follow Omar22Jan05.gpx
Old 01-23-2006, 07:59 AM   #59
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,168

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #60
Stumby
2 wheels needed

Oddometer: 674
Here are three more shots. I'm not sure why nobody took their helmets off when we stopped to break?

Stumby is offline   Reply With Quote