User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Ensey OP
KLR Combat Touring

Oddometer: 730
Natchez Trace Nov '10

We decided a trip down the Natchez Trace would be our November ride. We figured the ride to Nashville on I-40 would not be very much fun, however, 2-lanes would be great. John and I left Duncan early Saturday morning and met up with Dan in Talihina. Nice morning ride and we got there for an early lunch at Pam’s Diner. Several riders had the same idea and once again, the food was great.

Ensey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Ensey OP
KLR Combat Touring

After lunch, we head out on 271 to the Talimena Drive. There were a few areas where the leaves were still in color, however, most of them were gone. Still a great ride to Mena.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,417
Beautiful ride! The Natchez Trace Pkwy is highly under rated and for me, it ranks up there with the Blue Ridge as far as riding pleasure.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Subscribed. Planning to hit the Trace myself on a long road trip from CA this summer. See here for the trip planning thread.

rodr screwed with this post 03-04-2011 at 03:40 PM Reason: Added link to my trip planning.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
ks7877
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Planning to hit the Trace myself on a long road trip from CA this summer.
Me, too
Be sure to wave at the chick on the over-loaded scooter

Really looking forward to more of this ride report!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensey View Post

Nice shot - I find the history of the Natchez Trace fascinating. I would love to ride it someday. What's the speed limit on the Trace? Are there passing lanes? It would be cool if they banned cars a day or two each week or two. Thanks for the RR
FlagRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Ensey OP
KLR Combat Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
Nice shot - I find the history of the Natchez Trace fascinating. I would love to ride it someday. What's the speed limit on the Trace? Are there passing lanes? It would be cool if they banned cars a day or two each week or two. Thanks for the RR

45-50 MPH for the most part.........in November we never got stuck behind anyone.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Ensey OP
KLR Combat Touring

From Mena, we head south to 375 and then on to Shady Lake. Great ride and a very nice looking campground area with nice facilities. After looking around and deciding that this would be a good place to camp the next time we are in the area, we head south on 369 to Langley.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Ensey OP
KLR Combat Touring

From Langley we stay on Hwy 8 chasing long shadows and arrive at DeGray Lake just after dark. We were able to get all 3 tents on one pad for $12. After setting up camp it was time for a fire and supper. Dan was trying to cut back and only had two refills. Dan also was worried about being cold at night with the temps dropping into the upper 20s so he brought along his friend the heater……….

John looks tired and Dan just looks hammered……….I did a better job the rest of the trip taking care of my beer…….

Old 03-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
Ensey OP
KLR Combat Touring

A few pics of the area the next morning and then John and I had to witness this site…………this pic reminds me of something the Ca$hman would do...........

Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
Ensey OP
KLR Combat Touring

We were on the road by 8:00 Sunday morning and headed south on Hwy 7 to Caddo Valley then north on 67 to Donaldson so we could head east on 222. Nice 2-lane roads all the way to Sheridan.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
Ensey OP
KLR Combat Touring

From Pine Bluff we took 63 and turned south on 152. Our goal was to 2-lane all the way to Helena and stay south of Memphis………….also I had noticed that Helena was a wet county which was needed for later that evening.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #13
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post

I rode the Trace a couple years ago. It was my Civil War tour, where I passed through Gettysburg, Chatanooga, Mobile and New Orleans. I took the Trace back from Natchez. I ran pretty steady at 62mph the entire route. I don't remember the speed limits exactly, but I am pretty sure it was 50 for most of it. My favorite tourist stop was the Shiloh Church Battlefield, just off the Trace.

Unlike the Blue Ridge Parkway, there was no traffic except for around some of the towns the Trace passed close by. I tried riding the Blue Ridge a couple times, but it was torture. Clogged and slow. Notso the Trace.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #14
Ensey OP
KLR Combat Touring

We made it to Helena and stopped at the visitor center for a break and to find out if there was a convenience store before we crossed the river. I was in luck only to go in and find out that no beer could be sold on Sundays…………..we made it to Mississippi and everything looked better. We headed west on 4 and stopped in Holly Springs before ending the day at Wall Doxey State Park. Nice campground area with clean facilities for $18. John suggested we monitor Dan’s food intake but he managed to get around our plans………..

Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
Ensey OP
KLR Combat Touring

Monday morning was a nice crisp 29 F and the hot coffee was welcomed. Breakfast burritos have become a standard for us. Easy to fix and very little clean up. A few shots of the camp area after breakfast and we were on the road by 9:00 (starting to see a pattern here). Dan had to use the old push start method because he had been running his heated grips and jacket for the last two days.