User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
Deadlyapollo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
broken in.....

Well it finally happened, after 8 years of riding 365 days, I went down. Going down a steep hill with snow covered spots I had to brake. Not wanting to use front brake, I hit the rear before a stop sign and a patch of snow. ABS kicked in and I felt the rear lock and start sliding right. First thought was im going down and sure enough fell left then caught asphalt and highsided me right and flung me off. Crashbars and right pannier took the brunt of damage with only minor scrapes on top plastic pieces. Now I got to figure out a way to undent the corner of my trax box.......corners caved in and hammer won't even push it out.....

Deadlyapollo screwed with this post 11-18-2014 at 01:34 PM
Deadlyapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,187
Take it to a auto body shop. The have some neat stuff for getting odd dents out.
Even a press might work.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,755
Dubl-A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlyapollo View Post
Well it finally happened, after 8 years of riding 365 days, I went down. Going down a steep hill with snow covered spots I had to brake. Not wanting to use front brake, I hit the rear before a stop sign and a patch of snow. ABS kicked in and I felt the rear lock and start sliding right. First thought was im going down and sure enoenougt fell left then caught asphalt and highsided me right and flung me off. Crashbars and right pannier took the brunt of damage with only minor scrapes on top plastic pieces. Now I got to figure out a way to undent the corner of my trax box.......corners caved in and hammer won't even push it out.....
Glad you seem to be ok.
If the abs kicked in, how come the rear locked? I thought the purpose of abs was to keep the brakes from locking up? What am I misunderstanding?
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
Deadlyapollo OP
Adventurer

Instead of rolling through the snow spot when ABS kicked in it stopped the tires from spinning briefly causing the tire to skid from under me. If ABS was off I would have kept rolling through and slowing down. I was wearing Alpinestars Andes touring gear and it worked like a charm. I slammed on my shoulder and asscheek and didn't feel a thing.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,188
Quote:
Instead of rolling through the snow spot when ABS kicked in it stopped the tires from spinning briefly causing the tire to skid from under me. If ABS was off I would have kept rolling through and slowing down.
The tire stopped spinning briefly then the ABS kicked in. You got it backwards.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Deadlyapollo OP
Adventurer

ABS keeps the tire from locking up by stopping and rolling again very quickly, it was that stopping motion that started the skid......
Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
ABS keeps the tire from locking up by stopping and rolling again very quickly, it was that stopping motion that started the skid......
Nah. You are the one locking it. You are blaming your tools.

Sucks that you went down, but it helps if you understand why.

Unless it's a backwards ABS system that is. You can try and convince me though.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-18-2014 at 02:00 PM
Old 11-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
randomride
Bike whore

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Nah. You are the one locking it. You are blaming your tools.

Sucks that you went down, but it helps if you understand why.

Unless it's a backwards ABS system that is. You can try and convince me though.
The ABS only engages once it has noticed a stopped wheel, not before. ABS doesn't prevent you from locking up the tire, it just steps in, after the fact, to keep the tire from staying that way.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Well it finally happened, after 8 years of riding 365 days, I went down. Going down a steep hill with snow covered spots I had to brake. Not wanting to use front brake, I hit the rear before a stop sign and a patch of snow. ABS kicked in and I felt the rear lock and start sliding right. First thought was im going down and sure enough fell left then caught asphalt and highsided me right and flung me off. Crashbars and right pannier took the brunt of damage with only minor scrapes on top plastic pieces. Now I got to figure out a way to undent the corner of my trax box.......corners caved in and hammer won't even push it out.....
'Never happened. ABS would never have allowed it.

Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
Deadlyapollo OP
Adventurer

Any way to adjust the sensitivity of it then? I barely touched rear brake and it activated....
Old 11-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Don't worry about the dented box, scars are a badge of honour... and proof you really do ride your bike for what it is meant.

At least you came out of it ok.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomride View Post
The ABS only engages once it has noticed a stopped wheel, not before. ABS doesn't prevent you from locking up the tire, it just steps in, after the fact, to keep the tire from staying that way.
Correct. And the better ones actually look at deceleration of the wheel and may act before a lock. So it's important to know how your particular ABS system works, just as it is important to figure out early whether you can lock the front end with one finger versus a fist full.

All ABS systems operate slightly differently.

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-18-2014 at 07:43 PM
Old 11-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
Don't worry about the dented box, scars are a badge of honour... and proof you really do ride your bike for what it is meant.
What he said.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #15
Deadlyapollo OP
Adventurer

I don't care much for cosmetics. But the box I'd like to not be able to fit my hand through it.....