DL650 2,876 63.88%
DL1000 1,565 34.76%
Both DL650 & DL1000 64 1.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4502. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #2161
Vstrom650e
Banned

Oddometer: 101
Just picked up the 650 Expedition last summer.
Vstrom650e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #2162
jms78
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Watch out for this guy! Word is on the street is that he once got a clown car up into the triple digits.
No clowns were harmed though!

Quote:
You could do with a pair of TKC80 tyres but other than that it looks great!
Soon enough...
jms78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #2163
whysub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I've done so much to my Vee over the last couple of years, mainly as I use it to do trips into Europe.

Have fitted the Madstad screen bracket and MRA screen-it took a while to get the height and angle right, but I can now ride at 100 mph with my visor up. I have fitted some aftermarket end cans and a K&N air filter, and set up the fuelling with a Yoshimura fuelling box. It now pulls from 1500rpm in top and so 6th is no longer an overdrive. And she sounds fantastic and at 102db she is under the noise limits for most UK race circuits.

Had the suspension sorted for paved surfaces (I don't do many unpaved tracks), well just the front really. The suspension shop said the standard rear unit is good and not worth changing. The front forks have shorter progressive springs fitted and a long spacer tube which make for shorter suspension travel. Great on the roads and race tracks I ride it on, and the other benefit is the braking feels a lot more controlled.

Also did an HID conversion on the headlights. These kits are cheap now, very simple to fit, and the light output is fantasic, both in the spread of light and the beam pattern. They needed quite a bit of adjusting due the the position of the bulb in the headlight. You see many badly set up HID's in the UK-people just fit the kits (on bikes and cars) without having the lights properly adjusted and are a hazard.

I was going to slot the TL1000R top end onto her this summer, but it looks like she will be going to make way for a Stelvio now.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #2164
vanseagal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Has anybody had a Bags-Connection Enduro LT tank Bag? I'm planning to buy one but there is no info how it fits to V-Strom tank. My other choice is Wolfman Expedition small. Any info of both bags would be great.

Bags-Connection Enduro LT
vanseagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #2165
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Be very careful with tank bags on the vStrom. I've had 2 and none of them fit very well due to the mass of plastic round the tank. I'm sure you will get Strom specific bags somewhere but if you go with a standard bag you might be throwing your money away. I'm not even sure which ones I had so cant tell you what to avoid.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #2166
Jrjoyce2007
ADVenture Addict

Oddometer: 871
The best bet for a bag is something that has 2 magnets in the rear, and a buckle to wrap around the handle bars. Nothing else. I have a bag with magnets upfront, and if I don't tuck them under the bag, they flop everywhere. Scuffed up my plastics.

Something yellow this way comes
Jrjoyce2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #2167
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,394
chain and sprockets(stock) for a decent price?

new to me 04 650

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #2168
srelegante
srelegante

Oddometer: 177
Reasonable miles?

Looking at a 2003 VStrom with 17k, very nice condition. That kind of miles suggests a garage queen, no?

What do you guys think?

I am always leery of lower mileage bikes.

What should I look (out) for?

Thanks!

SE
srelegante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #2169
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
Be very careful with tank bags on the vStrom. I've had 2 and none of them fit very well due to the mass of plastic round the tank. I'm sure you will get Strom specific bags somewhere but if you go with a standard bag you might be throwing your money away. I'm not even sure which ones I had so cant tell you what to avoid.
I have a Wolfman Rainer. It fits the tank well. Not magnetic but with some thought it was easy to attach the straps to solid points. Would buy the same again.

I do have to add a caution... I am not sure how the Rainer bag will work with stock handlebars. I replaced mine with MSR ATV-HI's and don't have any problems with the tank bag and these bars.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #2170
Jrjoyce2007
ADVenture Addict

Oddometer: 871
Just dont buy a bag with magnets up front. Mine likes to beat up my plastics

Something yellow this way comes
Jrjoyce2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #2171
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,293
I have used the Wolfman Explorer for several years with no bad effects. It is a big bag and fits way too much gear, lol. I have never carried it full. Wolfman bags are extremely good quality and last forever.

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000
Thumpercrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #2172
vanseagal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanseagal View Post
Has anybody had a Bags-Connection Enduro LT tank Bag? I'm planning to buy one but there is no info how it fits to V-Strom tank. My other choice is Wolfman Expedition small. Any info of both bags would be great.

Bags-Connection Enduro LT
I e-mailed Bags-Connection and they said that The Enduro LT tank bag will fit V-Strom quite well. So after I buy the bag, I will post some pics and little review.
vanseagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #2173
trailNtent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Anyone using a happy trails top box? If so, can you post a few pics of your setup? I'm thinking of going that route and would like a visual of one in use and your opinion of it.
trailNtent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #2174
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanseagal View Post
I'm successfully using a Wolfman Explorer Lite on my DL1000.

A little larger than the Expedition small but it doesn't interfere with anything. I bought a second set of straps and I use it with my XR650L (Clarke 4.7 gal. tank) as well. It's a little large but it doesn't interfere and the XRL has no other luggage.

I just got through installing a Powerlet bulkhead pass-through into the bag for the cell phone and GPS - kinda' handy and something to think about no matter which bag you choose.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 08:03 PM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #2175
Bocephous
Bitter Clinger

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by srelegante View Post
Looking at a 2003 VStrom with 17k, very nice condition. That kind of miles suggests a garage queen, no?

What do you guys think?

I am always leery of lower mileage bikes.

What should I look (out) for?

Thanks!

SE
Crack open the gas tank, look for rust. Ask the owner if he kept maintenance records, where the bike is kept (indoors/outdoors), look for obvious signs of road rash. I picked up a 2004 DL1000 a couple of years ago with only 4000 miles on it and have had no problems (pertaining to lack of miles) with it yet.

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.
Bocephous is offline   Reply With Quote