DL1000 1,540 34.80%
Both DL650 & DL1000 63 1.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4425. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #721
warhammer
Hooligan

Oddometer: 29
New Strom 650 V. 1000

Just picked up my DL1000 last Saturday. Really wrestled with the dilema of which to purchase. I read a lot of great reviews about the DL650 and a handful about the DL1000. The full liter Strom seems to be a bit of a niche market, so I tried to be as "scientific" as possible when making my decision.

The reduced weight of the DL650 does seem to make it more nimble, and one can approach MPG ratings that near "scooter" territory. One "knock" against the samller Strom is the lack of dual exhaust. Did not seem to be a detrement to performance, as much as the elusive exhaust note and visual appeal. Numerous technical reviews had me believing the DL650 would be the right bike for me. However... (and there always seems to be a caveat).

It could all be smoke and mirrors, but I felt more comfortable on the bigger Strom. Though I tend to lope along, I liked the "whoosh" of the addtional power as I merged onto the highway during my test ride. The potential musical notes I hope to coax from the Strom's dual ehaust has it's own sexy allure. With a planned agenda of making the ride from the lower 48 to Anchorage, and daily use as an ubercommuter, the DL1000 just "felt right".

My riding style has changed over the years. I don't ride quite as fast as I did twenty plus years ago, but my speed does not vary as widely when I hit the twisties or changes in terrain. Being a smoother rider lets me carry more speed, and the platform of the DL1000 made me feel the most comfortable at cruising speeds through the tight stuff, despite the heft and tech bullitens that would say otherwise. During the back road portion of the test ride with limited places to pass, the power came on in a very predicatable manner, with plenty of low-end stonk to get around some jerk in a cage with a cellular phone glued to his ear.

So, there you have it. Perfectly scientific. I liked the dual exhaust better.
warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #722
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,005
been lurkinh here...yada, yada, yada.

Since buying my new 04 Wee it is now my all time fav ride.

It's pretty much completed in terms of protection and misc stuff. Now I just need to ride it more.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #723
buck12ga
Buck

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhammer
Just picked up my DL1000 last Saturday. Really wrestled with the dilema of which to purchase. I read a lot of great reviews about the DL650 and a handful about the DL1000. The full liter Strom seems to be a bit of a niche market, so I tried to be as "scientific" as possible when making my decision.

The reduced weight of the DL650 does seem to make it more nimble, and one can approach MPG ratings that near "scooter" territory. One "knock" against the samller Strom is the lack of dual exhaust. Did not seem to be a detrement to performance, as much as the elusive exhaust note and visual appeal. Numerous technical reviews had me believing the DL650 would be the right bike for me. However... (and there always seems to be a caveat).

It could all be smoke and mirrors, but I felt more comfortable on the bigger Strom. Though I tend to lope along, I liked the "whoosh" of the addtional power as I merged onto the highway during my test ride. The potential musical notes I hope to coax from the Strom's dual ehaust has it's own sexy allure. With a planned agenda of making the ride from the lower 48 to Anchorage, and daily use as an ubercommuter, the DL1000 just "felt right".

My riding style has changed over the years. I don't ride quite as fast as I did twenty plus years ago, but my speed does not vary as widely when I hit the twisties or changes in terrain. Being a smoother rider lets me carry more speed, and the platform of the DL1000 made me feel the most comfortable at cruising speeds through the tight stuff, despite the heft and tech bullitens that would say otherwise. During the back road portion of the test ride with limited places to pass, the power came on in a very predicatable manner, with plenty of low-end stonk to get around some jerk in a cage with a cellular phone glued to his ear.

So, there you have it. Perfectly scientific. I liked the dual exhaust better.
Yeah, see, a guys just gotta have both Stroms.
buck12ga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #724
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
The potential musical notes I hope to coax from the Strom's dual ehaust has it's own sexy allure.
The decision depends on the majority of riding you plan to do (open road versus off road) and several other factors (many will say the 650 handles low speeds better, nimbleness, fuel efficiency, etc). And simply, preference.

But for noise? The Wee emits its own pleasant and charming symphony of music and noises; it doesn't need dual exhaust. Most of us ride for the ride, not the farts from the back :)

"The Little Wee that Could"
TS and the Continuing Education of Whee
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #725
warhammer
Hooligan

Miss the dual exhaust of the older SV650

Tex,

At one point the SV650 came with a dual exhaust. It was a fun bike that became quite popular with the club racers. I wish Suzuki would have kept the dual exhaust, and ultimately would have prefered a dual exhaust on the DL650. Like the TL1000 series both R and S, the SV650's sounded great with a set of aftermarket canisters or full set of pipes.

My recent hip replacement dictated that comfort on a good all-arounder be first and foremost. Coming to grips that I would be more inclined to explore a dirtroad rather than cut a new path off-road, the bigger Strom seemed to better meet my objectives. I love the V-twins. Ducatis, Honda Super hawks, TL, SV, etc. Though I admit to not riding quite as fast as once before, the "hooligan" in me is far from ready for a cruiser. Like a siren's song the dual exhaust called to me.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #726
TexasShadow

Quote:
Like a siren's song the dual exhaust called to me.
What ever floats your boat :)
Regardless of the basic mechanics, bikes are very personal. Each has character flaws, but other traits that are endearing. For me, the Whee is like my trusty Thoroughbred that flies on the road and sings for me, like a busy lullaby (accompanied by a deep throaty growl sometimes).
A dual exhaust doesn't do anything for me. But that's *me*.

I empathize re: comfort, which is why I left cruisers behind. Not comfortable for a bad low back. And boring. After some mods to Whee, we are in the 'sweet spot' :)

The primary point is to enjoy what ever you ride. Glad you found what works or you (and me, too

"Whee will, wee will rock you!!"
Old 08-10-2006, 06:33 AM   #727
warhammer
Hooligan

comfort

When I bought the bigger Strom, I was able to negotiate a pretty good deal, because sportbikes tend to be all the rage among the young soldiers here at Fort Hood, TX. After riding the Strom on to post this morning, I could not help but wonder why the Stroms do not get more press about being a great all-arounder.

OK, it's not as "sleek" as a 'Busa or CBR, but those bikes have a narrow focus. I had a Bandit 1200 prior to my parachuting accident and though it was a good standard. Utimately, I replaced the Bandit with the Strom, when the doctors finished putting me back together. After riding in a variety of traffic conditions my oh-so humble opinion is that the Stroms, both liter and wee are better at being standards than the bikes being "billed" as standards. Comfort, commanding view, a real capability to carry something on the back, and useable power, deliver a well rounded package.

Given the price point of each Strom, I am surprised that I do not see more of them on the road. Each time I have driven it through the gate at Fort Hood, I hear something similar... "Nice bike, what is it?" What am I missing here?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:58 AM   #728
Chader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I think it is funny too. I just ordered my new Wee and should arrive late next month. I think my wife actually wants to get the bike more than I do. She keeps calling the dealer every week to find out when it is coming. But as I have been drooling over web sites and pics of the Stroms leading up to my purchase, I have answered alot of questions to friends and coworkers.

Most have never seen the bike but are interested in the capabilities when they see them at home on the road and moderate off-road areas. My friends and I actually LIKE the looks of the bike which is the opposite of most other opinions I have seen.

I am used to having to explain what the Strom is to most people. But I mentioned it to my boss (owns almost a dozen bikes) by name and was preparing my usual speal... but as soon as I mentioned it he asked 650 or 1000? We spent the next 20 minutes discussing why our local dealer and other riders don't see the great potential in the bike. And I haven't even rolled a mile on one yet.

I went to another cities dealer (Great Falls, MT) and they were totally into the Stroms. He had a story about some Floridians that road all the way to GF. He said they were all decked with Cbars and the like. The riders told him how much they loved the bike and alot of the great rides they had where you would never take a "standard".

Maybe it's all marketing and wannabe crap? But there seems to be wide range of knowledge and acceptance of this bike depending on the area.
Chader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #729
trek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chader
... But there seems to be wide range of knowledge and acceptance of this bike depending on the area.
Definitely a wide range of acceptance- in the recent Tour de France bicycle race, it seemed that most of the support motos were the Kawasaki version of the Strom.
trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #730
Chader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_GSer
Definitely a wide range of acceptance- in the recent Tour de France bicycle race, it seemed that most of the support motos were the Kawasaki version of the Strom.
I always used to like those bikes but never knew what they were. I even thought that during this years tour. I was assuming it was some uber expensive Euro bike. Then I ordered my Wee.

I just saw a pic recently and found out that it was the same as support bikes. Apparently I can't recognize the bike in odd colors.
Chader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:08 AM   #731
Uncle Larry
The most suave of stooges

Oddometer: 14,417
And the assimilations continue...
Old 08-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #732
warhammer
Hooligan

Raw Data

Raw numbers versus the elusive "streetability". My Brother-in-law is salivating for a 'Busa. The poor guy is torturing himself because the insurance for the bike is almost the same as the monthly payment. When I point out to him that the Stroms have EFI, oil cooler, liquid cooled, a WIDE power-band, and are affordable; he just does not get it. He would rather NOT ride (blasphemy) than in his mind "settle".

Unfortunately, His thinking is not unique, as all he can tell me is the raw numbers for the 'Busa. When I ask him where he intends to use all of the availalble power and approach 200 mph, he can't tell me. These are the type of people who will complain about insurance premiums, and then run them up for the rest of us once they get a bike.

I got a good deal on my Strom, so I should be thankful that in my neck of the woods it had been over-looked on the showroom floor.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #733
TexasShadow

Quote:
I got a good deal on my Strom, so I should be thankful that in my neck of the woods it had been over-looked on the showroom floor.
People's desires for bikes depend on a variety of reasons. I talked to one younger man that wanted a bike that could do the 'best wheelie". Some are only into cosmetic appeal. Others, the associated 'sub-culture' (sports bikes, Harleys, etc). Some want as much power as they can get despite that they can't use it on the street (only on track). For many, their choice in a bike is tatamount to blind faith or religion. It's all relative.

There are many stroms here partly because of the extended riding season and the availability of off-road riding. But we tend to be a secular group. Many of us are lone riders, but there is a strong representation of Stroms here in TX. I see them off and on on the highways. Even saw two on the way through Austin during the ROT weekend Nice change from all the HDs. (I had my new Whee in the back of my truck; people would stop and ask "What's *that*??")
Old 08-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #734
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShadow
But we tend to be a secular group. Many of us are lone riders, but there is a strong representation of Stroms here in TX. I see them off and on on the highways. Even saw two on the way through Austin during the ROT weekend Nice change from all the HDs. (I had my new Whee in the back of my truck; people would stop and ask "What's *that*??")
I have ridden the sisters quite often and I have never seen another 'Strom. I know of two close to where I live but have never passed them or seen them out. No one in Del Rio has one anyway. I do love the puzzled look on everyone's face when the see it. One guy at T&T Cycle in Del Rio had even put a new set of tires on for me, called to tell me my BMW was ready. He was the one that did the work too
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:36 PM   #735
Bogiewan
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_GSer
I keep hearing of a Kawasaki version of the Strom but have never seen it.
Is it the same bike or just similar ?