ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
rear wheel whoa's

Ok folks. I read several reports (Ned, Inte...) on removing the rear tire and felt I could do it without any problems. Now, I have been doing tires for some time on the 640 without any issues. I have also done several "Tubless tires" without issue. On the 950 it was an outright bitch! I had a bead breaker. The kind that stradles the tire and you tighten a 20mm nut and it pinches the tire breaking the bead. That didn't work so I used the side stand trick. After several attempts one side finally broke loose. I had the full weight of the bike on the side stand and it still wouldn't break. I had to bounce on the bike as the side stand was balanced on the tire. The other side was much, much harder. I tried the bead breaker and the side stand at the same time without luck. I even had the wife put the SUV in 4-low and back over it 3 times. Still no luck. I got mad and decided it can be dealt with later!

Next morning around 4am I went back out to the garage. I used the bead breaker and put a piece of plywood on the side that the bead already broke. It then took me 3 tries to break the other bead. I have changed tires on trucks and this was harder!

While I had it apart I ground the rim down so the bead will hopefully slide off when I need it next.

I guess some break easy and some are an outright bitch.

Nate

ps -I am uploading pix now and should be able to post tonight.
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is the bead breaker and the side stand:

you can see that the side stand is not on the ground.

Here is the drive by:

I guess if it was a truck with a stiff sidewall it might have worked. Scott Hardin told me it work for him in Mexico with a bus.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,445
What tire? What wheel width?

I'm at the point now where I can change both front and rear tires in little over an hour (at home, in the garage, with air compressor). My 05.5 has the wide rear wheel. I have changed stock pirellis (150/70), TKCs (140/80), and Bajas (140/80) on the rear and all take about the same effort. It is actually easier than the narrow wheel on my XR because of the extra finger space and no rim-lock.

For the rear tire, I put the bike on the centerstand with the sidestand down. I use a 2x4 to support half the wheel and keep the disc/hub off the ground. Lean the bike slightly to the right and kick the tire under the sidestand. You want the foot of the sidestand to just miss the rim. Now lean the bike to the left. (This is a good time to have a helper around the first time you try it.) You may need to place one foot (left) on the outside of the rim to keep it from flipping up, and then use the other foot (right) to help break the bead. Push the bead down with your feet all the way around, then flip the rim and repeat for the other side.

Better luck next time.

- M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,445
Just saw your pics.

First one looks like my setup, except I have not needed the bead breaker. Also, the plywood under the bike would force you to lean the bike farther.

Dumb question, is the tube fully deflated with the valve core removed? Even one atmosphere in the tube could be enough to resist your efforts.

- M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
I can't break my bead either. I didn't try the sidestand trick, but many others (with portable bead breakers). I expect now to have a shop break it, and maybe apply a layer of axle grease to the rim when I inflate it and try breaking it then. Either that, or I have to grind off the safety bead holder too. No way can I fix a flat alone on the road as it is now. -p
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yea, the valve stem was out. even though the plywood was under the bike, I had the bike completly off the center stand. All the weight was on the side stand and some on the front wheel.

I think it might have been the Karoo 150/70-18. That sidewall is prety darn stiff.

When I inflated the tire, I had to go to 95psi to seat the bead. I have never had to go that high. The new Scorpion went on real easy. It was just breaking that bead.

Nate
Old 01-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #7
LKN4DRT
Mended

Oddometer: 714
The first time I changed a 950 rear it was a pain in the ass. Not sure what I would have done out on the trail with a flat. I then got this paddle shaped tool called the bead popper. It works great with a couple of blows from a heavy hammer. Then I banged up the rims and put Suns on that don't have bead lock. It also helps to lube the bead with some simple green.
Four five O
Five O O
LKN4DRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
luv2lean
not lost til out of gas

Oddometer: 979
Hey Nate,
Those tires are a bugger to get past the rim bead. Another problem I had was getting the front axle out to change the front tire. I dont think I could have done it on the trail. It may not have been properly lubed when first assembled. Hopefully the lube will make it easier next time.

The last time I changed my rear tire I ground about 6 inches of bead on both sides of the rim opposite the stem for a breaking point. I'm just about done with that tire. I'll let you know how it comes off. How much of the bead did you grind off?

chris
luv2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
wameith
MotoLooser

Oddometer: 92
Nate,

This may not be exactly the help you're looking for...but...I have a tire changing setup, and I'm just east of you a bit. I haven't done any nine-fiddy wheels, but I've done lots of dirt/street wheels. It doesn't help you much on the trail, but at least we could get them off so you could rework 'em. Lemme know.

Wade
Old 01-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
950TRANSALP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Eek Even at the bike shop

I've changed car , bicycle , Transalp tires for the last four years and even with the air powered tire changer the rear Pirelli on the stock Behr rim is a bitch ! A Continental TC is much easier but I still built Excel rims for off road use for strength and ease of maint.. K.B.
950TRANSALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,060
Lube?

Did you use any lube when you were trying to break and/or reseat the bead?

Also, were you working your way around the wheel? Mine (rear tire) takes about 2 full rotations when working the side stand into the tire every 90 degrees. A quick swab with soapy water between the bead and rim after the first complete pass has made the whole ordeal much easier for me.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:31 PM   #12
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,987
Hey Nate, the trick I used changing a trailer flat was a scissor jack. I put the tire under the car, put the scissor jack on top of it (with the long foot running along the bead) and cranked away. It would unseat the bead pretty quickly. The long foot of the scissor jack (Dodge Caravan variety) did a good job of breaking the bead rather than just pinching the tire carcass. A newspaper on the ground should cushion the rim and protect from scratches. That'll get it loose for you. Doesn't work so good on the trail though.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:30 AM   #13
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,295
Beadbreaker

I like this idea.

I can't remember who in this site has it. He did refer to it but the picture comes off of the guys smugmug gallery.

You'd have to do a search to find it.

Anyway the way it works is that you remove the axle bolt. Then secure the helmet wire by the t-handle on the one side of the axle (in the photo this is on the brake disc side) and run through the axle out the other side and then back though the sprocket to a hook on the end of the tool (under his left hand). You then use the tool as a lever with foot of it against the bead.

Apparently there is more than enough leverage to unseat even the toughest bead.

I like the idea as you break the bead with wheel still on the bike. It would prevent getting dirt in the cushions or bending/damaging the brake disc when using conventional on the ground/side stand methods. It also reduces/eliminates the possibility of dropping the bike while trying the side stand method.

I have changed the tires - TKC80's and Scorpions, using the conventional side stand method. The post above about working around the wheel was the method I used. They don't just slide off though and swearing/sweating to progress ratio is pretty big.

Cheers
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2006, 02:35 AM   #14
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 966
I know it's no use out on the road but http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/beadbreaker.html
works every time for me at home. Rather than bother with using a car I've got a short length of 2x4 fixed to the garage wall to lever against.
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:55 AM   #15
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Good idea RIGHTSIDEUP......but i would use the long length of 4x2 sideways so it has more strength!!
Never broke my bead but when i go travelling this summer i wanna know what the hell i am up against!!
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote