Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2007, 09:28 AM   #1591
wheelnut46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Truth is my frame guards are used more like paint protectors. I commute to work and the pant legs of my dockers flap and have worn out the paint on the sides just where the frame guards fit. I was always concerned any potential buyer (not like I'm ever selling it) would think it was not taken care of because of all the worn out paint. Tire kicker mentality.
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #1592
janner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Also, curious, how do you know your engine is running 10' hotter ? You mean your oil temp ? Mine varies so much it is hard to duplicate 2 runnings to compare temps. Mine never goes over 250' and rarely gets that hot.
Referring to the 'oil' temperature and riding the exact same route I do every week (90 miles round road trip) its running 10F hotter according to my oil stick temperature gauge....
max temp now shows 250 rather than 240 (hard riding)..but the average temp usualy hovers around 230 F.
janner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #1593
donnyh
Waiting for the Sun

Oddometer: 6,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebone
where did you find that Maier rear fender?
I got it straight from Maier, it is for a XR600, I hear that it will work on a 650L:

http://www.maier-mfg.com/shop.cfm?ac...modelyear=1999

Also, on the bottom of that page are the fork guards that are supposed to fit on a 650L, if you like the "carbon fiber look" they have those on closeout for $30.
donnyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #1594
Whitebone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
grassy ass. looking at a snow day project

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyh
I got it straight from Maier, it is for a XR600, I hear that it will work on a 650L:

http://www.maier-mfg.com/shop.cfm?ac...modelyear=1999

Also, on the bottom of that page are the fork guards that are supposed to fit on a 650L, if you like the "carbon fiber look" they have those on closeout for $30.
Whitebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:44 AM   #1595
mehow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Cdi

Anyone know of a good place to buy a new CDI for the XR650L? I'm thinking it may be a good idea to have a backup...
mehow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:17 AM   #1596
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehow
Anyone know of a good place to buy a new CDI for the XR650L? I'm thinking it may be a good idea to have a backup...
dealer is about the only place for a new one, I can get one from my dealer for around 100 bucks
Old 11-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #1597
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
cheapcycleparts.com
servicehonda.com
ronayers.com

Use their microfische to get the part numbers.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #1598
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
Finally got a D606 on the rear (130/90/18)! Gives the bike a whole new look! Oh man, right after my buddy helped put it on (he did it all really), I'm backing it out of the garage to go for a test ride and not paying much attention to him, he kicks my kickstand up and says to sit on it to check the chain. Not listening to him, and not noticing his swift kick to put up the stand, I, of course, decide to lean the bike on to the stand while I put on my gear. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised when the bike just kept going, and going, and whack! I was so pissed, I'm blaming him, he's laughing at me saying I should've known (I really should have). Anyway, I get it up, and guess what, the damn shift lever bent and dented the case! I've read about this happening, but now that it's happened to me, I'm thinking "WHAT A PIECE"! How can they make a bike so vulnerable to something that probably happens a lot while off-roading. Luckily the bike didn't go down too hard and I only dented it, unlike some people who've actually punched right through the sucker!
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #1599
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,368
Hopefully your shifting fork is not bent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDub
Finally got a D606 on the rear (130/90/18)! Gives the bike a whole new look! Oh man, right after my buddy helped put it on (he did it all really), I'm backing it out of the garage to go for a test ride and not paying much attention to him, he kicks my kickstand up and says to sit on it to check the chain. Not listening to him, and not noticing his swift kick to put up the stand, I, of course, decide to lean the bike on to the stand while I put on my gear. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised when the bike just kept going, and going, and whack! I was so pissed, I'm blaming him, he's laughing at me saying I should've known (I really should have). Anyway, I get it up, and guess what, the damn shift lever bent and dented the case! I've read about this happening, but now that it's happened to me, I'm thinking "WHAT A PIECE"! How can they make a bike so vulnerable to something that probably happens a lot while off-roading. Luckily the bike didn't go down too hard and I only dented it, unlike some people who've actually punched right through the sucker!

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 PM   #1600
blshelley
5th Gear Pinned

Oddometer: 20
Don't feel so bad, I did the same thing last Friday. Mine just pushed against the case and scratched it though.....but I was still pissed. Got any pics of the D606's tire on your bike? Did you get the front one as well? I'm getting ready to order both on DennisKirk.com and wouldn't mind seeing them mounted. :)
Old 11-20-2007, 04:23 AM   #1601
Manchu
carpet pisser

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by blshelley
Don't feel so bad, I did the same thing last Friday. Mine just pushed against the case and scratched it though.....but I was still pissed. Got any pics of the D606's tire on your bike? Did you get the front one as well? I'm getting ready to order both on DennisKirk.com and wouldn't mind seeing them mounted. :)

You might want to check these guys out --> http://www.americanmototire.com/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #1602
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchu
You might want to check these guys out --> http://www.americanmototire.com/
Wow! I got mine for $75 from Cycle Rider in Montclair, with a free mount, so that's a pretty good deal for same day changeout. I'll go snap a camera phone pic really quick, but it's sitting in the back of my truck now.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #1603
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blshelley
Didn't get the front one, I'll get a new front after a while. Heard TKC80s are the way to go on that? Just needed to get more of a nobby on back for the riding I'll be doing this weekend. Here are the pictures, not that great...

Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #1604
mehow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Replaement Screws

Having taken my carb out for the tenth time trying to get it all set up, I'm tired of stripping the Philips heads screws all up in that area. Soooo I got a bunch of stainless steel allen head metric screws from McMaster.
The screws from the carb were replaced a while ago but the clips holding the carb and the screws for the throttle cable. I don't think theres a single philips screw in sight. At least in that area.
Anyone else done this?
I couldn't get these size screws in a stainless steel locally so I had to order them, So now Ive got way too many.
mehow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #1605
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Having taken my carb out for the tenth time trying to get it all set up, I'm tired of stripping the Philips heads screws all up in that area. Soooo I got a bunch of stainless steel allen head metric screws from McMaster.
The screws from the carb were replaced a while ago but the clips holding the carb and the screws for the throttle cable. I don't think theres a single philips screw in sight. At least in that area.
Anyone else done this?
I couldn't get these size screws in a stainless steel locally so I had to order them, So now Ive got way too many.
Did it, but used cheapies from home despot.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote