Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2006, 09:39 PM   #151
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Creek
i'll post some more next week. beefing the subframe, building a rack and shit like that this weekend if i get time.
Looking forward to it! I've been wanting to do the same for some time now but not sure how to go about it. I've been working on a rack that folds out to give you twice the width if needed (just in case I have to carry two 12 packs ) but I'm not sure how to setup the subframe to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #152
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
here's my beast

2000 model XR HRC 628

Currently adding electric start

rmhrc628 screwed with this post 02-06-2006 at 09:59 PM
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #153
Denisesewa
wounded adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
What is your throttle position when it starts cutting in and out? IIRC 1/4 throttle and under controls the slow circuit and above that is your main. Is the main jet Keihin or is it out of the Dynajet kit, if it's stock that sounds on the large side to me. And what is the air/fuel mix screw set at?
1/2 throttle , the main is a stock jet, the bike acts the same with the long or the short pilot, air/fuel is at 2 1/4 and doesnt seem to effect this problem when adjusted, do ya think adding more discs to get the pipe to flow more might help??i dont think its a clearance problem with the anti slosh cup
Denisesewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:46 PM   #154
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denisesewa
1/2 throttle , the main is a stock jet, the bike acts the same with the long or the short pilot, air/fuel is at 2 1/4 and doesnt seem to effect this problem when adjusted, do ya think adding more discs to get the pipe to flow more might help??i dont think its a clearance problem with the anti slosh cup
At 1/2 throttle you should be into the main circuit, and a 165 main is IMO on the large side of things. I think I'm running a 158 and I'm on the rich side at that.
The A/F screw only effects the pilot circuit, so this wouldn't help the problem if it's in the main.
Opening the exhaust side up might help but I don't think it will solve the problem completely, do you have a smaller main? If not I have a 160 and/or a 155 that I could send you.

All this is based mostly on opinion, I'm sure somebody who knows what they are talking about will show up soon.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2006, 06:29 AM   #155
Medicine Creek

Oddometer: 9,402
Quote:
Looking forward to it! I've been wanting to do the same for some time now but not sure how to go about it. I've been working on a rack that folds out to give you twice the width if needed (just in case I have to carry two 12 packs ) but I'm not sure how to setup the subframe to handle it.
don't look to forward to it, i am a complete HACK with a welder and a cutoff saw. rack is made and the frame is, well, ugly but strong. i can take some pics tonight of the progress so far. lots of grinding and a shit load of paint and it may look somewhat decent, maybe the hammered look paint will make it look good when i'm hammered.
Medicine Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #156
JohnBG
Slow Moving Three Wheeler

Oddometer: 259
Not sure if mine qualifies as an XRL, its an XL600R, the daddy of the modern XR650L. Not steet legal anymore, just a good fart-around off-road bike.

http://www.russianiron.com/forums/in...=post&id=33069

Can't get the picture in here, click the link to see it.

'98.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" (the blonde)
'06 Ural Raven 750 2WD - "Vorona" (the brunette)

Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Collective Forums
An independent site for Ural/Dnepr Enthusiasts
Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums
Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries
JohnBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:54 AM   #157
Denisesewa
wounded adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
At 1/2 throttle you should be into the main circuit, and a 165 main is IMO on the large side of things. I think I'm running a 158 and I'm on the rich side at that.
The A/F screw only effects the pilot circuit, so this wouldn't help the problem if it's in the main.
Opening the exhaust side up might help but I don't think it will solve the problem completely, do you have a smaller main? If not I have a 160 and/or a 155 that I could send you.

All this is based mostly on opinion, I'm sure somebody who knows what they are talking about will show up soon.
Thanks for the offer, I'll pick up a smaller main today, think I'll add some discs this morning and see if that improves things so I'll know if I am heading in the right direction.
Denise
Denisesewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:59 AM   #158
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628
here's my beast

2000 model XR HRC 628

Currently adding electric start

very cool! BTW, who supplied those gas tank decals? I'm looking for generic Suzuki stickers for a plastic IMS tank.

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:07 AM   #159
QuickMule
Half-fast Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,694
Quote:
Actually, the airbox is now the electronics box with the filter directly on the carb, I'll carry an extra filter when offroad .
Denise
Ohh-Ok, Don't forget to post pics when you get a chance, that sounds like an interesting mod.
QuickMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #160
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
ports on carb plugged
Denise
Also instead of plugging all the carb ports, you might want to try connecting these 2 together. I can't remember the exact reason for doing so, something about equalizing the internal pressure maybe. Good luck.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #161
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Creek
don't look to forward to it, i am a complete HACK with a welder and a cutoff saw. rack is made and the frame is, well, ugly but strong. i can take some pics tonight of the progress so far. lots of grinding and a shit load of paint and it may look somewhat decent, maybe the hammered look paint will make it look good when i'm hammered.
Ugly but strong is my standard way of doing things. At least this will give me an idea of where to start.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #162
enzorover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR
enzorover I wont bid against you, I will wait for the next one.
Hey man (or woman ) bid away! I appreciate your consideration though...
enzorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #163
QuickMule
Half-fast Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,694
Quote:
I did the " Daves carb mods" which cured the bottom end and now have another problem, the bikes cuts in and out at high revs just like turning the ignition on and off, ran fine at top end before but had a seriose stumble off idle, heres the deal-- supertrap IDS muffler with 12 discs, Pod air filter, 55 pilot, 165 main, slide drilled and needle shimmed .025, all smog stuff gone and ports on carb plugged, sparkplug shows slightly rich. had the carb apart twice and cant find anything wrong.
Anyone have any insight on this?? I'm lost ;(
Denise
Since the plug shows rich, this is probably not it, but I had similar symptoms on a bike once that was driving me crazy because I was sure it was either a carb problem or an ignition problem. The bike would run fine until I would open it up full throttle, where occasionally (not always) it would start to miss, sputter, and die. Turned out that the oxygenated gas they make us use here in the winter (and all year 'round in Cali I think) was dissolving the inside of my gas line, and a big flap 'o rubber was stuck against a hose nipple in such a way that a high volume flow would pull it out to block the fuel flow, where it would stay blocked after the engine quit until the fuel drained out of the line and the flap once again stuck to the side of the line out of the way.
QuickMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #164
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzorover
Hey man (or woman ) bid away! I appreciate your consideration though...
Man. nah I wouldnt bid against another poster here, its a moral thing.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:01 PM   #165
Medicine Creek

Oddometer: 9,402
alright, let the shit fly about my crap welding and heavy ass iron addition.

frame all pretty and unmolested.

side rack thing that holds the soft bags off the exhaust.

subframe boxed with 3/4 x 1/8 inch angle iron. brace to transfer load to the lower leg above battery box. far side has large 1/8 inch plate to transfer wieght to the lower leg on that side.

plate on right side with square tube that the rack mounts to.

block to lift the front of the corbin up. without doing this i could not have run the angle on top of the subframe. it also makes the seat sit leveler. no sliding forward.

mondo rack. kinda high, built to allow access to the factory tool bag. not sure i like it that high, but i can reach underneath it and get in the tool bag even when i have my top box mounted on the rack.

obvioulsy a lot of finish work needs done. as you can see i have absolutely no eye for detail.
Medicine Creek is offline   Reply With Quote