Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #1726
ptwohig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I do ot know, I went ahead and replaced it with an electronic unit. Hoping for a true plug and play, did not work though. If you look at the wiring diagram, the indicator bulb has a wire coming of of both sides of the the bike like branches of the individual circuts, and share a common ground. These to branches is where the sytem will feed back unto itself!
ptwohig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #1727
Chief Gunner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
JoelSmenge; Thank you for the positive comment. I'll shoot you a PM soon. I saw all the discussion regarding LED's so I took a few pics when I got home from work today and wanted to share a few Ideas with the guys. LED's are the shit! Vibration proof, waterproof, and much brighter that Bulbs. They also draw less load on electrical systems than the standard bulbs without the excessive heat.

The tail light is a Cheap ($15) "Motoboss" I picked up at Cycle gear after I thrashed the stock one while the pig was on a trailer heading out to the desert. While I was at Cycle gear I saw the "Motrax" Arrow type LED's (made in the UK) .They are made for crotch rockets but I liked the low profile look of them.....link:http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...LA1_G&tier2=14

So I bought two sets (had to buyt the License plate adjustable brackets and the flaser seperatly). I mounted one bracket to the headlight shroud. I drilled some evenly spaced holes in the shroud and trimmed the bracket to fit. I used some small Stainless Steel Allen bolts, washers and nuts to secure it after I bent it to fit the bend in the shroud....

Here is how it looks up close....Yeah the shroud it kinda un-even...I'm sure that You guys that ride in the dirt can understand

I then went to Home Depot and bought a framing "T" bracket which I cut to fit the license plate frame and formed to the fender using my dremel tool. I drilled a few holes in it and spray painted it gloss black. Then I mounted the license plate frame to it wired and soldered it up and it came out looking like this......(kinda rough but it was an experiment to begin with )

I added an additional LED a tad lower than the license plate just to let anyone behind me understand my intentions, here is a pic with the brake lights on and the turn signal on too...

Chief Gunner screwed with this post 12-08-2007 at 05:32 AM
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:36 AM   #1728
Chief Gunner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOff
Love my XR650L...
Reminds me of Growing up in Maine, cabin fever has gotten to you huh? Way cool!

Chief Gunner screwed with this post 12-08-2007 at 05:43 AM
Chief Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:23 AM   #1729
QUICKSILVER
Native Arizonan

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSchmenge
Quicksilver,

I would like to see your notes on lowering. (can we pm on this site?)

Dave
I sent you a PM with my Email as there are a lot of notes. I can put them in a PDF file also as I have a bit of material from different websites also (saves time sufing).
QUICKSILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:54 AM   #1730
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Pic

Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #1731
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,933
more...

Please more pics and a list of mods for that bike please.

And definitely some info on the BRP CRF conversion.

BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
Pic

Brtp4 screwed with this post 12-08-2007 at 10:30 AM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #1732
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Red Thumper

This is my 670L....It has a few mods: Head ported and polished with Big fins, High Compression Big Bore coated piston, Stainless valves, Ti valve springs, HRC cam, stainless XR's only exhaust, FCR pumper (I have an Edelbrock to try as well...) Ohlins' shock, CRF forks with Emig clamps and mount, tapered bars with Acerbis Pro-Rally guards, Scott's damper, Tall, soft Guts seat foam with Baja cover, Pro-Moto billet rack, Graphics, I have a set of wheels with Mefo's for street running, and a set of wheels with MT-32 front tire and Terra-Flex rear. DG skidplate, XR's Only rear Billet Shark Fin caliper mount, chain guide, lowering link, and a few other gadgets I am missing. This is my 3rd "L". I have ridden this bike from Texas to the Copper Canyon, around the Canyon to Topolobampo across the ferry to La Paz, then to baja. It has been all through the Rockies, the East coast, several Mexico rides...all on the same set-up, except the forks, which are a fairly new addition. It has never left me stranded or broken down, does fine on Pemex. I rode it 10' before I did the mod's, and every few years I'll freshen her up with new graphics and plastic...Oh yeah, it is a '94 with approx 15k. Still runs as strong as the day I built her, and will easily wheelie in all but 5th gear.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...IMGP0616-1.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...r/IMGP0609.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...r/IMGP0607.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...r/IMGP0617.jpg
Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #1733
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Photos

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Old 12-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #1734
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Looks great. I am heading in the same direction as you re mods, but I will probably stop at cracking the engine open.

Where are you getting the sidepanel graphics and where did you get the ohlins? On the shock, is the reservoir attached to the body or connected to a line?

BP
Old 12-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #1735
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Eh? Broke down and bought some Orange

Well I did it,

I bought an orange machine, still a thumper though Ariens 640e, made in Wisconsin. Works great too, way better than the ol' shovel.

I have not had a chance to ride the xr650l since it past inspection in late November. Very cold and the most snow we have seen this early in a long time. Oh well, at least the newly installed float charger is working well
byron555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #1736
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

When you get right down to it, the XRL has a lot in common with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555
Well I did it,

I bought an orange machine, still a thumper though Ariens 640e, made in Wisconsin. Works great too, way better than the ol' shovel.

I have not had a chance to ride the xr650l since it past inspection in late November. Very cold and the most snow we have seen this early in a long time. Oh well, at least the newly installed float charger is working well
Old 12-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #1737
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Where are you getting the sidepanel graphics and where did you get the ohlins? On the shock, is the reservoir attached to the body or connected to a line?

The decals came from DeCal works, the Ohlins I have had for several years, I believe Freddy at XR's only got it for me, and the reservoir is attached.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #1738
scibeer
Lost

Oddometer: 898
Very nice bike! What's involved in adding the big fins?
scibeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:08 AM   #1739
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

You have to pull the head and ship it off to have the fins welded on...I had Freddy at XR's only do mine...He has built all 3 of my "L"s for me. The first one I bought the shop bike, that was in 1994, and I got their '93. That was built by them. The next bike I bought was in '97, and I had Freddy freshen up the head off of the old bike, and I built that one myself. I had a kid working for me, took the bike out for a joy ride, got hit by a car and totalled the bike. That is when I found the '94 with less than 200 miles for cheap. I sent the head off of the new (new to me '94...that was in 2000) to Freddy and he did the big fins, port, polish, valves, springs, etc. and I assembled. I have adjusted the valves a couple of times, and only once were they uot, and that was only by a slight amount.

I noticed a puff of blue smoke on decel the other day, so the valve guides are leaking a bit. I may try to find a newer bike and trade all the goodies over, then sell the '94...I dunno. I may just freshen this one up???

I have an '07 KTM 525 EXC, and a Cannondale...The "L" still gets the nod for long distance comfort and reliability. The seat and suspension are awesome, and I LOVE the old school thumper torque and power. It wheelies like no other bike!!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #1740
QUICKSILVER
Native Arizonan

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner
This is my 670L....
Well thought out! I particularly like the little things like opening up the front sproket to facilitate changing.

Swapping forks is serious money unless you have a wreck that you scavenge but they DO look nice and I'll bet they ARE quite a nice touch. I like the fcat that you did your stuff in line with what the bike was designed for; long distance comfort and relaibility....

At speed that bike would almost look stock as the mods are understated; that's (IMO) a nice job.
QUICKSILVER is offline   Reply With Quote