CoSnipe
Projectile manager

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
OK, you gotta tell us more!
Is that the trailtech HID?
http://www.trailtech.net/racelight.htm
probably not exactly dot legal eh? do ya ride on the street much?
You obviously modded the seat. any info on that?

SWEET bike!
Thanks. yes I cut the seat down 2" because i didnt like the lowering link I bought,made the bike feel wrong. 4 gallon clarke tank, fmf "Q", snorkle removed , carb mods, smog shit blocked, trail tech 55w light,renthal bars,cut down front fender 2",14-48 gears,more and its a project in the works

I ride it alot,have to change gears on longer rides,but i ride it to work alot and so far no cops give me grief about the non-dot light. Its alot brighter and less goofy lookin than the stock headlight.

The seat was an easy no cost mod that I wish I did before I bought the link. A right angle die-grinder and an abrasive disc and a sharpie was all it took.Same resulting height and no loss of suspension or ground clearence which I need for log hoppin
CoSnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #17
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,171
Some repeat pics, but here is my 1999 XR650L. For a day trip:

Or set up as a poor man's Adventure Tourer:

murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #18
goblin
pig rider

Oddometer: 371
nice light cosnipe. I've bin pondering that light for a while. Just ordered a corbin for my XRL. The bike is an 04 clark 4gal XRs only complete stainless exaust mikuni slide valve carb from xrs only 14/48 gears stainless brake lines tusk peg's renthal cr high bend bars thermo dip stick running metzler sahara tires front and rear and other stuff I just can't think of at this time. Baja desighn skid plate
Old 01-19-2006, 04:10 AM   #19
TREADMARKS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Here is a shot of my 01 XR650L

Clarke 4.7, RSW fork brace and top triple tree, trailtech racelight with 100/130 watt 10million cp hella clear lens, corbin seat, avons, edelbrock, stage 1 cam and WB "E" pipe with big tube header.

Currently building USD 320 17x350 SM front end.
TREADMARKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:39 AM   #20
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,964
I sold mine, missed it, so am buying another!

I sold my 2003 (FMF Ti-4 with Powerbomb header, K&N, re-jetted) in a fit of madness, and immediately (like, when the guy was riding off with my bike) began to miss it - after two months I went to the dealer near my dad's and plopped down for a 2006. Mods to follow. I am trying to find the part number for the exhaut system I had - I think it's the same as the XR600R.

Dukeryder - what model front brake did you get - and did you get it from Motostrano? Thanks!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #21
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Love My XRL!

Here's mine on a ride in the Cohutta Wilderness Area of N. Ga 3-4 weeks ago.
Mods are: Skid Plate, Smog Stuff 86'ed! Jet Kit, Air Box Mods, White Bro's E-Series Full Exhaust, Corbin Seat, Pro Moto Billet Rack, E-trex Vista GPS, Cyco-Active Map Holder, Shark Fin Protector over rear disk. I think that's it.........

I travel on my XRL as well,...........On the BRP.

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:30 AM   #22
EMathy
Cancer Sucks!

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag
Dukeryder - what model front brake did you get - and did you get it from Motostrano? Thanks!
A quick aside...a great source for brembo master cylinders? Get a used master cylinder off of an older 90's ducati supersport. I had one on my (now sold) super motarded yamaha TT600. It worked great!

eBay or salvage yard, then a quick rebuild and viola!

Hope this help! Me, I'm droolin' over that trailtech racelight...yowza!
EMathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #23
machman
means well

Oddometer: 1,212
hi der

machman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #24
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,129
Hey Dudes, here's me and my 93 XRL on Imogene a few years ago.. .

My favorite picture is from taking my older brother for a week of Colorado circa 1999, made him ride my old XL600.

This one's from 2004, my buddy and his DR650.

I run 14/49, engine is 675cc's, mild cam, big gun, mikuni flatslide. I used to run mt21's, lately michelin baja rear, and 606 front.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #25
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,666
Xr650l

Just got my 06 XR650L after selling my 99. Great machines. Haven't figured how to post pics on here yet. But the new bike has the Clark tank, FMF Q Pipe, low front fender, XR tailite and 165/55 jetting mods including getting rid of the octopus. Was really considering a BRP this time around but decided to pass after spending a little time on one. The L is just too versatile, comfortable, with Estart ,and ok for the occasional off road. Had lots of fun on the old one so sprung for a fresh one.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:13 PM   #26
CoSnipe
Projectile manager

Oddometer: 155
Thanks for the info about the trailtech light TREADMARKS,as you can see I got one now as well. Great light. One question though,i'd like to know how you rewired,it was quite a difficult task. took me a few hours to find some way that somewhat satisfied me,but I'd like to re-do it some day a little cleaner. have any suggestions and/or pictures of yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREADMARKS

Clarke 4.7, RSW fork brace and top triple tree, trailtech racelight with 100/130 watt 10million cp hella clear lens, corbin seat, avons, edelbrock, stage 1 cam and WB "E" pipe with big tube header.

Currently building USD 320 17x350 SM front end.
CoSnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #27
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,077
Nice, I really like that setup.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #28
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,402
Anybody here done any really big tours on an XR? Everyone and their brother rides all over on KLR's and I really don't see what make those any better than the XRL besides the fact that they are pretty well set up from the factory.
I'd like to see some big rides done on XR's. SS1000's, Baja, Alaska, etc.
The best I've done in the year I've had mine was the 1236 miles in 4 days Michigan U.P. off road safari. We averaged 275-290 a day for the first 3 and did 399 the last day, with about 300 being off pavement. This year I'll be doing more big rides on the XR.

Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #29
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,077
I have done a few 400 to 450 mile days all slab. A couple of 300 mile combo slab/gravel/dirt days. Have a big ride planned for the spring on part of the T/A trail this spring.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #30
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash
very sweet! I like SM's. I'm very tempted to SM mine. What paint did you use on the sidecovers? Is it holding well? Some new pix would be great!
Thanks!

The paint everyone else is using is Krylon Fusion, I used the Rustoleum equivalent I found at HomeDepot, I cleaned them well and scuffed em up with scotch brite. I painted them several light coats then redid them after 24hrs and then let em sit up for a week. I leaned the bike up against the basketball hoop pole in my driveway today and the white paint from the pole came off onto the black paint, and the black paint was fine. I'd say it's pretty tuff stuff. Looks WAY better than White, For some reason White bikes bother me.

(In case anyone is wondering why I get the bike so close to the pole, is because that's what I chain/lock the bike to; I have nightmares this sucker gets stolen; seriously )

Did some mods today

Added the Acerbis Cyclope and a Polisport SM Fender (I dunno if I like it yet or not, I might go back to the old cut up Red one or try a different if this one catches too much wind). Last week, I noticed the Front wheel bearing was shot (wobbly wheel), well last night I took the wheel off and found one of the bearings inside was totally Exploed , later found out why was because the PO didn't put the center spacer in there, putting way too much stress on the bearings causing them to go TU, after only a few miles. At least I know it's got new bearings and the proper spacer in there now, I also replaced the dust seals too.

Dukeryder screwed with this post 01-21-2006 at 09:57 PM
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote