kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #37952
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
thanks also for the help SPUD.

well i guess it's time for a beer then start operating.

John
You're welcome, John. The first installation of the XR650R C/S sprocket frequently requires a little "persuasion" to get it to fit. Subsequent installations are easier, after the XR650L countershaft conforms to the wider sprockets.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #37953
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadster View Post
Why run a xrr sprocket on the xrl? Is it cheaper or stronger?
If you wish to learn more about my experience using the XR650R C/S sprocket on the XR650L, you might enjoy reading the following thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/867...650r-sprocket/

Incidentally, I always recommend either the PBI, or the Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprockets for the first installation on the XR650L countershaft. These particular sprockets are a little thinner than others, and also have a deeper chamfer. Therefore, the PBI/Moose Racing sprockets require less "persuasion" for the initial installation. Subsequent installations get easier as the XR650L countershaft conforms to the wider sprockets.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #37954
Dadster
I'd rather be ridin

Oddometer: 211
My chain and sprockets are in good shape and my countershaft has ben replaced and is in good shape. To prevent having to replace the counter shaft again I will use the xrr front sprocket next replacement. Thanx. P.S. is this Dave's mods tough to do.
07 Hawkeye 300 4x4 Margarita Momma's
Dadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #37955
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,451
Not if you can take off the carb and use a drill.. If your bike was bought used good chance its done already.. Mine was

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #37956
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My chain and sprockets are in good shape and my countershaft has ben replaced and is in good shape. To prevent having to replace the counter shaft again I will use the xrr front sprocket next replacement. Thanx. P.S. is this Dave's mods tough to do.
You're welcome. As Kenny stated, Dave's mods are very easy to perform after you remove the carburetor. You can read the details regarding this modification at the following thread.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

I buy carburetor jets for all my bikes from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...eries-Main-Jet

Spud
Old 02-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #37957
Dadster
I'd rather be ridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Not if you can take off the carb and use a drill.. If your bike was bought used good chance its done already.. Mine was
I know the first owner. Carbon is stock. He said he removed the smog stuff. What's that mean?
Old 02-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #37958
Dadster
I'd rather be ridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You're welcome. As Kenny stated, Dave's mods are very easy to perform after you remove the carburetor. You can read the details regarding this modification at the following thread.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

I buy carburetor jets for all my bikes from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...eries-Main-Jet

Spud
Im not happy with the throttle response so Im gonna do my homework and take care of business.
Thank you.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #37959
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
I know the first owner. Carbon is stock. He said he removed the smog stuff. What's that mean?

left side of cylinder commonly reffered to as smog pump.. Belive it is an egr system or air pump

Old 02-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #37960
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 446
Many Thanks again..... XRR sprocket installed, lots of grinding the chamfer, 3 beers, 3 tacos later and nice fit.

now i would like to grease rear wheel bearings, drive side has a bearing retanier- does this come out. or do i need special tool for removal? looks like it is peened in place. how do we grease that bearing?

again thanks for the helpful INTEL.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #37961
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The smog "octopus" is stock equipment on all XR650L motorcycles. You can shed 2.0 pounds of unsightly hoses and metal by removing the "smog tumor." Michael Bratcher posted a superb video detailing his removal of the smog pump.

Thanks for taking the time to film the great video, Mike!

Spud
Old 02-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #37962
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Yes there is a special tool you may also use two drill bits that fit in the hole. hold the tops together with one hand and putsomething between them to twist with the other

Old 02-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #37963
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Many Thanks again..... XRR sprocket installed, lots of grinding the chamfer, 3 beers, 3 tacos later and nice fit.

now i would like to grease rear wheel bearings, drive side has a bearing retanier- does this come out. or do i need special tool for removal? looks like it is peened in place. how do we grease that bearing?

Well......you need to drill the peens out,,drill just as far as it`s peened,,don`t drill in any farther.......

You can get a special tool and screw the retainer out,,or use 2 drill bits in the holes and a longer screw driver placed between the drill bits will act as the tool.........

If the bearings are smooth running,leave them alone.....you do not want to go in there unless you plan on installing new seals and bearings...

When/if you replace the bearings,,get double sealed bearings and pop one seal off with a pick and lube with good waterproof grease..

B
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #37964
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,648
Rear Wheel Bearing Retainer

You should see 4 indents. One each between the 4 holes in the retainer. Get a 1/8" drill bit and drill in about a 1/8". Take a punch and tap the retainer counter clockwise and once free it should spin right out. If the retainer looks un-molested then there is only the factory grease in the bearings which to say AINT SHIT. Have fun greasing away

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #37965
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

The XR650L has sealed bearings. You must drill out the peen marks before you can remove the bearing retainer. After drilling the retainer, you can use a special tool to remove the retainer. However, most people put two drill bits into two of the holes, and place a long screwdriver between the two drill bits to torque the retainer counterclockwise.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 11:13 PM