User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #40966
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,843
Welcome

I think you will find these guys have a great deal of taste and a since of humor that is sick , just my kind
you have already displayed both things by coming over here so welcome 103

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #40967
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by 103M 95G View Post
Evening gents, New Inmate here. 2007 xr650l bone stock, other than the skid plate. I will be installing a Manrack thisweekend. I have a few other parts that came with the bike but i haven't installed yet, (smog delet, carb jets, K&N filter)
I am currently looking a new tires like the shinko 705s or perilli scorpions, I ride mostly on road so I was looking for more street tire to replace the "death wings"
Later.

I just installed my Shinko 705's and they are a great tire so far. I ride 90% asphalt and gravel / dirt roads now and then. They have been great. Seem long wearing. I wore out the stock rear tw in 700 miles. Also I bought a block off kit but decided not to use it. I see no real gain in doing it so I didn't. I like it very stock motor wise. Just rejetted a 55/ 155 and a titanium needle to keep it cool. Never seems to go over 240 in the slow going dirt roads and 225 on long road trips. Welcome to Xrl territory. I wouldn't rather have any other bike out there.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #40968
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
No, just 742, in a frame.... Entry price is, well... Nevermind

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #40969
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider11x View Post
I just installed my Shinko 705's and they are a great tire so far. I ride 90% asphalt and gravel / dirt roads now and then. They have been great. Seem long wearing. I wore out the stock rear tw in 700 miles. Also I bought a block off kit but decided not to use it. I see no real gain in doing it so I didn't. I like it very stock motor wise. Just rejetted a 55/ 155 and a titanium needle to keep it cool. Never seems to go over 240 in the slow going dirt roads and 225 on long road trips. Welcome to Xrl territory. I wouldn't rather have any other bike out there.
Damn I love those cheap Shinko 244's they wear well and stick like glue in the twisties....

Wizard manufacturing....
Old 04-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #40970
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
CW magic in a stock bore works pretty well, or so I was told, by those passed.
If I send you some pics of your new motor can you post em????
I'm to lazy to get a baldy account.

Wizard manufacturing....
Old 04-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #40971
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103M 95G View Post
Evening gents, New Inmate here. 2007 xr650l bone stock, other than the skid plate. I will be installing a Manrack thisweekend. I have a few other parts that came with the bike but i haven't installed yet, (smog delet, carb jets, K&N filter)
I am currently looking a new tires like the shinko 705s or perilli scorpions, I ride mostly on road so I was looking for more street tire to replace the "death wings"
Later.

Your bike looks like one of mine but I have the manracks front and rear on mine and love em........I use the front rack for my camping gear and sleeping bag.

Wizard manufacturing....
Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #40972
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
If I send you some pics of your new motor can you post em????
I'm to lazy to get a baldy account.
You betcha!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #40973
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
After cleaning the already clean looking carb and putting it back in, I got quite the surprise as my top speed was 83mph at full throttle twist on the freeway. With a 300lb rider and running Kenda 760's, I'm not sure if I can get much more than that (but would like another 10mph if possible! lol) Better than the 65 max I was getting.

What made the ride more interesting was once I got up to speed, I realized I forgot to bolt my seat down. Of course I left the tools and the bolts at home. Made for an interesting ride.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #40974
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Thanks, throttle is hanging up on me, I notice it between shifts. I figured I'd replace instead of lube but at these prices i may take it off and try and lube it first
I took mine apart, cleaned thoroughly, even the bar. Sprayed some silicon down the cables and it's like new! Whatever lube was in there originally was pretty gummed up.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #40975
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post

What made the ride more interesting was once I got up to speed, I realized I forgot to bolt my seat down. Of course I left the tools and the bolts at home. Made for an interesting ride.

Not like your seat had a chance to go any where with you on board...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #40976
malignity
The Hurt Locker

Oddometer: 361
It did slide around a tad which made me panic

I had the strap on it, but it was only finger tight.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #40977
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Tick ! decompressor question

I have completed my rebuild with a CW BFH and piston, and have a question.

First though, oil pressure verified, valves adjusted and readjusted methodically.

Upon startup there was a noticeable tick in the upper valvetrain. I rode the bike 2/10ths of a mile, good power, no performance problems, ticking ever present.

I pulled the left side case caps, put the mark on T, then rotate the engine counterclockwise with a 17 mm on a short breaker bar. At slightly more than 270 deg, (about 2 o clock) there is an audible snap, and I can see the right rocker move. This happens every other rotation, no adjustments make any difference.

I believe the decompressor is the problem. It came installed, I ass u me d all was well, it's not. I really see no choice in removing the cam, but don't know what to look for that would cause this.

Ideas appreciated.
junkyardroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #40978
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,410
are u adjusting the exhaust before or after the click?

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #40979
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad View Post

I have completed my rebuild with a CW BFH and piston, and have a question.

First though, oil pressure verified, valves adjusted and readjusted methodically.

Upon startup there was a noticeable tick in the upper valvetrain. I rode the bike 2/10ths of a mile, good power, no performance problems, ticking ever present.

I pulled the left side case caps, put the mark on T, then rotate the engine counterclockwise with a 17 mm on a short breaker bar. At slightly more than 270 deg, (about 2 o clock) there is an audible snap, and I can see the right rocker move. This happens every other rotation, no adjustments make any difference.

I believe the decompressor is the problem. It came installed, I ass u me d all was well, it's not. I really see no choice in removing the cam, but don't know what to look for that would cause this.

Ideas appreciated.
I've experienced much the same thing, it had me worried for a while...

I've recently done a rebuild and noticed a ticking when I first started it back up, it wasn't a loud or bad sounding tick, just not what I would consider normal with the valves adjusted right... It wasn't the normal noise the decompressor makes when cold (my decompressor has always been bit rattly when cold, I think it's normal)... I re-check the oil flow and valve clearances, they were fine...

After taking it for a decent ride the tick went away and hasn't returned.... I've since done 500km without an issue... I'm still not sure what caused the tick...

The decompressor operation you describe with the snap is the same as what I observed... I "believe" it's normal...
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #40980
103M 95G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, this is going to be a fun ride.
103M 95G is offline   Reply With Quote