Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #40981
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
I've experienced much the same thing, it had me worried for a while...

I've recently done a rebuild and noticed a ticking when I first started it back up, it wasn't a loud or bad sounding tick, just not what I would consider normal with the valves adjusted right... It wasn't the normal noise the decompressor makes when cold (my decompressor has always been bit rattly when cold, I think it's normal)... I re-check the oil flow and valve clearances, they were fine...

After taking it for a decent ride the tick went away and hasn't returned.... I've since done 500km without an issue... I'm still not sure what caused the tick...

The decompressor operation you describe with the snap is the same as what I observed... I "believe" it's normal...
Yes the click is normal.. but yoyu have to set that valve in the right spot.. cant remember if its before or after ..
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #40982
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,866
After.

And if you miss it you can't back up, need to go around again

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #40983
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
After.

And if you miss it you can't back up, need to go around again
+1... I learned the hard way...

-Barron
Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #40984
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 103M 95G View Post
Evening gents, New Inmate here. 2007 xr650l bone stock, other than the skid plate. I will be installing a Manrack thisweekend. I have a few other parts that came with the bike but i haven't installed yet, (smog delet, carb jets, K&N filter)
I am currently looking a new tires like the shinko 705s or perilli scorpions, I ride mostly on road so I was looking for more street tire to replace the "death wings"
Later.

I've got the scorpions on mine and they are great, they grip really well and ride smooth. I have only done about 8 or 9 hundred miles on them though so I can't tell you from experience how long they live...

-Barron
Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #40985
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad View Post
Tick ! decompressor question

I have completed my rebuild with a CW BFH and piston, and have a question.

First though, oil pressure verified, valves adjusted and readjusted methodically.

Upon startup there was a noticeable tick in the upper valvetrain. I rode the bike 2/10ths of a mile, good power, no performance problems, ticking ever present.

I pulled the left side case caps, put the mark on T, then rotate the engine counterclockwise with a 17 mm on a short breaker bar. At slightly more than 270 deg, (about 2 o clock) there is an audible snap, and I can see the right rocker move. This happens every other rotation, no adjustments make any difference.

I believe the decompressor is the problem. It came installed, I ass u me d all was well, it's not. I really see no choice in removing the cam, but don't know what to look for that would cause this.

Ideas appreciated.
This is normal with the higher lift cam and the stiffer valve springs.
The cam has more ramp angle than the stock oem sowing machine one
It will lighten up once the cam and rockers are broken in.
The specs for the valve clearance are .004 int.....004 ex.......
That snapping sound you hear is the auto-comp, with the heavy valve springs it makes the noise more distinct then with the lighter springs.
If you want the sowing machine sound I will have to grind you a different cam, you can send it back to me and I will exchange it for you with a cam with slower ramp angles.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #40986
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by malignity View Post
After cleaning the already clean looking carb and putting it back in, I got quite the surprise as my top speed was 83mph at full throttle twist on the freeway. With a 300lb rider and running Kenda 760's, I'm not sure if I can get much more than that (but would like another 10mph if possible! lol) Better than the 65 max I was getting.

What made the ride more interesting was once I got up to speed, I realized I forgot to bolt my seat down. Of course I left the tools and the bolts at home. Made for an interesting ride.
What jets are you running?
I had similar prob. , turned out the jets were too big.
I am now back to OEM jet sizes and top speed so far has been 95.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #40987
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
This is normal with the higher lift cam and the stiffer valve springs.
The cam has more ramp angle than the stock oem sowing machine one
It will lighten up once the cam and rockers are broken in.
The specs for the valve clearance are .004 int.....004 ex.......
That snapping sound you hear is the auto-comp, with the heavy valve springs it makes the noise more distinct then with the lighter springs.
If you want the sowing machine sound I will have to grind you a different cam, you can send it back to me and I will exchange it for you with a cam with slower ramp angles.
Sowing mach.? Is that a female pig cam?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #40988
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
I've got the scorpions on mine and they are great, they grip really well and ride smooth. I have only done about 8 or 9 hundred miles on them though so I can't tell you from experience how long they live...

-Barron
Had to put a new sleeve and piston in your motor, I also found that the crank seal was pinched and the o-ring were missing, it may have fallen off when you put the side case on. When you install the side case make sure that you put it on straight so that the crank seal does not encounter any damage, also put some grease on the oil pump o-ring to make sure that it stays in place and does not fall off.
I do believe you also had an air leak at the intake, you will need to add some sealer to the manifold with the ported head to insure that you have a complete seal......

Your ring end gap were butted together, did you check the clearance? and did you install the rings with the markings up? The ring that was on the slug there were no gap..