Oddometer: 46
Samara city

National Park "Zhiguli"

Old 05-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #42347
81cr450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Boobies

Now that I have you attention I need some input on my 95 XRL650. I'm wondering what the maintainece interval on the connecting rod is. My bike is internally stock with 18,000 miles on it. I'm getting a little blow by & am going to do a ported head, stage 1 hotcam, FMF header, Kehein pumper carb, & a 2mm overbore. I'd rather not dig into the bottom end if I dont have to but... I'll check the side to side & look it over of course. I'm just not sure it will need it as I've searched for rod failure on on an xrl650 & not one post comes up. The thing has a few miles but it really seems like its been babied. I'm gonna pick up a jug & have the bore & hone done. I just bought a head & will get it gone through before I tear into it. Basically I just wanna have it all lined up to tear down & put right back together, just curious on how deep I should go? Thanks in advance for any input.
81cr450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #42348
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81cr450 View Post
Now that I have you attention I need some input on my 95 XRL650. I'm wondering what the maintainece interval on the connecting rod is. My bike is internally stock with 18,000 miles on it. I'm getting a little blow by & am going to do a ported head, stage 1 hotcam, FMF header, Kehein pumper carb, & a 2mm overbore. I'd rather not dig into the bottom end if I dont have to but... I'll check the side to side & look it over of course. I'm just not sure it will need it as I've searched for rod failure on on an xrl650 & not one post comes up. The thing has a few miles but it really seems like its been babied. I'm gonna pick up a jug & have the bore & hone done. I just bought a head & will get it gone through before I tear into it. Basically I just wanna have it all lined up to tear down & put right back together, just curious on how deep I should go? Thanks in advance for any input.
Sounds like a nice project! The rod will be discolored and have a blue hue on one end, not to worry. The rod will last a long long time and usually only needs replacing if the wrist pin goes and the rod is scored... May I suggest some kibblewhite (or CW) stainless valves and a set of aftermarket springs with Ti-retainers? CW (CycleWizard) makes cams, pistons, rods and valves and is well known here for his excellent quality and prices, FWIW. Another thing, allow CW to rebuild the oil pump and extend the clutch arm going into the motor... Little things that pay huge dividends

On the bottom end, replacing the stock 2nd gear with an NX650 gear is one of the best mods you can do.... While you are at it, change the 5th as well. The 2nd gear takes the gap out between 1st and 2nd and the 5th allows you to run lower final gearing.... This transforms the bike drastically and with the mods you are adding, will make your bike a whole new machine! You can run 15/48 sprockets and creep along at idle and still tool down the road comfortably at highway speeds
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #42349
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81cr450 View Post
The internals on my '93 were in great shape (except the fragged countershaft and the leaking valve seal). Your bottom end may very well be in need of nothing.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #42350
81cr450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Excellent thanks for the input. The countershaft does show some wear but I'm hoping the PBI XRR sprocket will get me some more miles out of it.

"(CycleWizard) makes cams, pistons, rods and valves and is well known here for his excellent quality and prices, FWIW. Another thing, allow CW to rebuild the oil pump"

Is CW a member you need to pm for parts or does he have a website?. I can grind my own valves as I work in a machine shop assembling pulling / drag race diesel motor's. D-Max & Cummins. I'll do my own porting as well. But I do plan on replacing the guides & exhaust valves atleast. The pump rebuild & clutch arm fix sound like sound advice. Just been bargain hunting trying to come up with the best prices on some good parts. Timing chains go bad? Especially running stiffer spring?
81cr450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #42351
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,311
New Fender...

Yeah it's made for a CRF, but that's nothin a dremel can't fix I still have some smoothing out around the cuts, but it should fit under that new rack pretty well.

-Barron
Old 05-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #42352
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,096
If anyone has a CRF stem to turn down now is the time. I have three going to my friend tomorrow. Get yours in now just to make it easier on him. PM for $ details if you're in.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #42353
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post

Yeah it's made for a CRF, but that's nothin a dremel can't fix I still have some smoothing out around the cuts, but it should fit under that new rack pretty well.

-Barron
they look nice on the xrs, i even put one on my bmw dakar!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #42354
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post

-Barron
Barron,

Be sure to post pics on how you mounted your fender... I am always looking for other ways to mount the CRF fender... Thinking of getting a black fender as well.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #42355
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,075
Please dont beat me for this......
Anyone run 20w-50 oil.? The owners manual says 10w-40 but would it be a bad thing to run 20w-50?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #42356
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,127
81cr450
+1 on have CW do your motor. Before I could run flat out in any gear, now not so much. Twisted the throttle at 65 lost the rear end going side to side. Almost to much power but I LOVE it!!!

Big Thanks to the Wizard for a bad ass bike!!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #42357
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,086
Where are you guy buying body plastics? I need a airbox side cover.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #42358
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
On the bottom end, replacing the stock 2nd gear with an NX650 gear is one of the best mods you can do.... While you are at it, change the 5th as well. The 2nd gear takes the gap out between 1st and 2nd and the 5th allows you to run lower final gearing.... This transforms the bike drastically and with the mods you are adding, will make your bike a whole new machine! You can run 15/48 sprockets and creep along at idle and still tool down the road comfortably at highway speeds
since the subject is up again, I would like to know just for reference if putting in the NX650 2nd gears gap is the same between 2nd and 3rd now as it was between 1st and 2nd with the stock 2nd gear? is it a more subtle gap? or about the same just moved from 1st to 2nd to 2nd to 3rd?

also, Wattner, lets see some pic's of the floor after your "tire buffing".
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #42359
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR View Post
Where are you guy buying body plastics? I need a airbox side cover.
Unfortunately if you need one to fit the XRL with the battery box still in place it`s OE or nothing,,for some reason no one seems to want to make them in the aftermarket...which really sucks...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #42360
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
since the subject is up again, I would like to know just for reference if putting in the NX650 2nd gears gap is the same between 2nd and 3rd now as it was between 1st and 2nd with the stock 2nd gear? is it a more subtle gap? or about the same just moved from 1st to 2nd to 2nd to 3rd?

also, Wattner, lets see some pic's of the floor after your "tire buffing".

Gap is just moved up..but........since the bike is moving at a decent speed it is far less noticeable........

I put in the FMX 5TH gear too.......it is really tall,you gotta be moving at a decent speed to use fifth now,,30mph and fifth = lugging/chain slap like crazy...........but it`ll be sweet at high speeds..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote