Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #44116
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,314
OEM exhaust for 96XRL

Anybody want this exhaust?
Includes both heat shields and the two bolt clamp.
I got it with my bike, The pipe has 5200 miles or less on it.
I have no idea what the hose clamps are all about. That is a PO deal. Sell or trade.
If nobody PM's me it going to the flea market.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #44117
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth0941 View Post
Let me start by saying that anyone that builds there own stuff is a bad ass... I wish I had that type of skill. The issue I see with his mounting points is the rear ones at the turn signals. They are at the very end of the sub-frame and put lots of stress on it. I have actually seen where that piece that is welded onto the sub frame gets ripped off.

Yep, there is still weight out there where I would'nt like it to be, but I just could'nt see any more reasonable places to mount the rear of it to, if it were'nt a brand new bike I'd have welded a brace from somewhere near the exhaust and battery box mount right out to the end of the frame.

But I decided against it in hopes someday I'll be motivated to build some pannier racks and they will add some triangulation to the rear of the frame.

This is pure speculation but I think by mounting the front mounts to the seat strap holes and putting weight there mine will probably hold a bit more than the manrack being that the front mounts are so far forward that they really don't get any weight on them when loaded, so it takes all the weight and puts it on the same rear blinker mounts, mine spreads the load on the frame better I think...so far I've had about 80lbs on it and took it through some pretty rough stuff with no ill effect, I did make sure to check the paint around the welds on the last bit of frame, no cracked paint or anything.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #44118
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,314
The XRL Tempmaster 5000

Behold, a BAD ASS DIY project. Grn/Y/Red dot are reflective ( oooo awww ):

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #44119
seth0941
NW Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaptor22 View Post
Yep, there is still weight out there where I would'nt like it to be, but I just could'nt see any more reasonable places to mount the rear of it to, if it were'nt a brand new bike I'd have welded a brace from somewhere near the exhaust and battery box mount right out to the end of the frame.

But I decided against it in hopes someday I'll be motivated to build some pannier racks and they will add some triangulation to the rear of the frame.

This is pure speculation but I think by mounting the front mounts to the seat strap holes and putting weight there mine will probably hold a bit more than the manrack being that the front mounts are so far forward that they really don't get any weight on them when loaded, so it takes all the weight and puts it on the same rear blinker mounts, mine spreads the load on the frame better I think...so far I've had about 80lbs on it and took it through some pretty rough stuff with no ill effect, I did make sure to check the paint around the welds on the last bit of frame, no cracked paint or anything.

I am a big fan of the TCI rack system. https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...th=144_150_152
seth0941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #44120
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,208
Good Logic

RedRaptor22, I really like that you engineered and made the system yourself. If I could, I would too - a lot of things. I guess where I was going, was that especially with a new bike, you'd be wanting to keep a factory look. I totally agree with you about getting the rear mount point as far forward as possible being a good thing. You use the same front as they do. They also have the struts that accomplish the same thing as you did for the back, but from the backside. I've got them on my bike and womp the piss out of it fully loaded.

I haven't experienced what you were saying about the front fork boots, but it may be dryer out here than back there. Again, they're factory. My thing was protecting the tubes from rock chips.

The best thing is the XR lets everyone modify it however they want.

RZ Rob

RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #44121
Sbeau
newoldguy

Oddometer: 17
Ok, here's my 2007 XRL. It'll be for sale as soon as I go on one more adventure at the end of this month. Joining my buddy on his KLR for some offroading in Iowa on the first leg of his trip as he rides to Portland.

-Corbin seat
-Clarke 4.7 gal gas tank
-Windscreen
-Moose Handguards
-Renthal Jimmy Button handlebars
-Headlight guard
-Skid plate
-Engine guards
-Side panel guards/pannier racks
-Rear master cylinder guard
-Rear caliper guard
-Rear disc guard
-Rear luggage rack
-IMS Supersport foot pegs
-Low profile brake light
-Temperature gauge oil dipstick
-UniFilter foam air filter
-FMF Header and exhaust system
-Completely desmogged and Dave's mods on rejetted carbs
-Wolfman tail bag and tank bag

Sbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #44122
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,208
Good Stuff

Sbeau, man I like your bike. I've got your pipe, but did the guard come with your's or did you buy that direct from FMF? Details? My pants are wasted from not having that. Also, what about the engine and headlight guards. Brand, where to buy?

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #44123
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I would love to know more about that engine guard!

May have to do some chinese r&d with that, recieve and duplicate!

I have that same master cylinder guard, but I would definately like something to keep my shifter from punching a hole in the engine again, that bash guard would do the trick nicely!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #44124
seth0941
NW Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
what about the engine and headlight guards. Brand, where to buy?

RZ Rob
Engine guard https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=529

Headlight guard https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=527

Rear brake master guard https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...roducts_id=528
seth0941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #44125
Sbeau
newoldguy

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Sbeau, man I like your bike. I've got your pipe, but did the guard come with your's or did you buy that direct from FMF? Details? My pants are wasted from not having that. Also, what about the engine and headlight guards. Brand, where to buy?

RZ Rob
Bought the pipe guard from MotorcycleSuperstore.com, I remember it cost far more than it should, but my mesh pants also have a hole in them so it was worth it.

The headlight guards and engine guards were sold as a set on ebay from TurboCity, see links above^

Sbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #44126
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

WOW! I'm sure it's a quality peice but I must be part KLR rider because I can see myself making that engine guard quite easily with the price on that for motivation lol.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #44127
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,029
Anybody know if there is a shop around Anchorage that can straighten my front wheel. I knew I should have sent it to Woody when I was in the lower 48. I just mounted T63s and man that thing is crooketer than a politician.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #44128
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaptor22 View Post

Dude, I like what you've done with your bike but you HAVE to move the stuff under the fender. You can see on your plate where it's already hit a little bit

I have that same fender on my bike and I just made a plate to screw into the rear fender as far back as it would go. I messed my plate up pretty bad having it where yours is now. Even a screw protruding too far in that area will make contact with the tire, I know it looks fine sitting there and I know you did a bunch of work to get it there cause I did the same thing but you really should move it or bad things could happen, like taking a corner at speed and all that stuff gets grabbed by the tire and locks it up... ask me how I know....

-Barron
Old 07-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #44129
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Anybody know if there is a shop around Anchorage that can straighten my front wheel. I knew I should have sent it to Woody when I was in the lower 48. I just mounted T63s and man that thing is crooketer than a politician.
Obama wheel straightening on fourth street can do it for you.....