ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #44536
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Good to know. Looks slick and I'm sure its a big improvement over the stock suspenders. For now, I'll stick to changing the guts inside by stock tubes.

I'll keep that in mind for future projects.
It is a bit of a project. Depending on how hard you flog your bike, a fork brace and reworked internals may well be the better deal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #44537
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
Thanks! I get the picture....
Pun?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #44538
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider
 
Mossy-Back's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Oddometer: 1,495
Well I got my endorsement on monday... put over 50 miles on the bike since then!

Here's just before my first street ride. I'm on the older black/white XRL and my buddy on his '03 XRL

__________________
Evan
2013 Husqvarna Strada
'93 XR650L (Gone, but missed)
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #44539
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Well I got my endorsement on monday... put over 50 miles on the bike since then!

Here's just before my first street ride. I'm on the older black/white XRL and my buddy on his '03 XRL

AWESOME!

The fork boots might not look too hot but they will save the forks and make them last a lot longer... If you ride off road at all you should get a skid plate IMHO. It makes getting over logs MUCH easier

I like the black and white too, if you want to make the seat black, the covers are 30 bucks on ebay then just take it to an upholsterer... unless you have a steamer and a pneumatic staple gun.

I don't mean to nit pick... just trying to help out

-Barron
__________________
1996 XR650L with a couple mods
If everyone brewed beer there would be no war.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #44540
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Well I got my endorsement on monday... put over 50 miles on the bike since then!...
Congratulations! Riding on the street is fun, but it's much more dangerous than riding off road because of the homicidal car drivers. If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend you take the MSF, rider safety course.

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #44541
wbedient
MoTard
 
wbedient's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: North Central Washington
Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
It makes getting over logs MUCH easier
I've got a skid plate but my skills on a BIG dirt bike aren't up to snuff for log hopping (yet). Just too tall and too big.

These bikes are capable of so much more than I am... and I think that is pretty cool.
__________________

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #44542
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer
 
Walterxr650l's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Donald, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Congratulations! Riding on the street is fun, but it's much more dangerous than riding off road because of the homicidal car drivers. If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend you take the MSF, rider safety course.

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

Spud
Sorry Spud, there are no MSF courses available in Oregon. It's Team Oregon here, and it's better than the MSF. It's a pretty safe bet that he just took the Team Oregon course as it is required to get an endorsement for anyone under 41.

Walter
__________________
"How much a dunce
That has been set to roam
Excels a dunce
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #44543
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Sorry Spud, there are no MSF courses available in Oregon. It's Team Oregon here, and it's better than the MSF. It's a pretty safe bet that he just took the Team Oregon course as it is required to get an endorsement for anyone under 41.

Walter
I forgot he was from Oregon, Walter. In Idaho we also don't have MSF, we have Idaho STAR. Everyone under 21 needs to take the STAR course in Idaho.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #44544
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
2000 RM250 49mm Showas.
Not too hard as long as you get the whole front end. You lose the steering lock and stock speedo in the process. The RM stem is quite a bit larger diameter than the XRL so you have to solve that somehow. I went the All Balls conversion bearing route. They took the XRL/RM fork swap out of their list, so that may no longer be an option. Another inmate over on TT did the same swap, but had a new stem machined and kept the OE bearings. A third option might be to simply have a bushing cut that will allow you to run the stock XRL stem in the RM lower triple...
Talk to me about turning turning your crf or other stems
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #44545
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
It is a bit of a project. Depending on how hard you flog your bike, a fork brace and reworked internals may well be the better deal.
Ill turn it down and it will be bolt on. Pm me.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #44546
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Well I got my endorsement on monday... put over 50 miles on the bike since then!

Here's just before my first street ride. I'm on the older black/white XRL and my buddy on his '03 XRL

You gotta love the tip toes on both riders Been there
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #44547
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer
 
sc-razor's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW Arkansas
Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
It is a bit of a project. Depending on how hard you flog your bike, a fork brace and reworked internals may well be the better deal.
I'll let you know. That's exactly what I am doing.
__________________
2009 XR650L

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #44548
Badger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Badger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Slaughter, LA
Oddometer: 313
Looong Time Lurker, but follow regularly. You guys are one fun "family". I've met numerous ADV'ers on the raods over the years and never met a stranger. Moved to the XR650L a couple of weeks ago and love this bike. Tearing around the yard with the kids or across town it's a blast!! A day (mostly) without rain, two fill-ups of fuel, 266 miles, and a ride to New Orleans and back with alot of detours and meandering. The seat and bars need some changes for my orangutan arms.


__________________
Je chasse le chien

Honey Badger Don't Give a Shit
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #44549
Barron
M0DAH0LIC
 
Barron's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Looong Time Lurker, but follow regularly. You guys are one fun "family". I've met numerous ADV'ers on the raods over the years and never met a stranger. Moved to the XR650L a couple of weeks ago and love this bike. Tearing around the yard with the kids or across town it's a blast!! A day (mostly) without rain, two fill-ups of fuel, 266 miles, and a ride to New Orleans and back with alot of detours and meandering. The seat and bars need some changes for my orangutan arms.



Welcome
__________________
1996 XR650L with a couple mods
If everyone brewed beer there would be no war.
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #44550
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool
 
alvincullumyork's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: South Atlanta
Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Sorry Spud, there are no MSF courses available in Oregon. It's Team Oregon here, and it's better than the MSF. It's a pretty safe bet that he just took the Team Oregon course as it is required to get an endorsement for anyone under 41.

Walter
MSF must suck.
__________________
How to ride your XR650L to South America: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post19932112
If you're in my area on a ride and need a place to crash, a hot meal, or some beer let me know. 913 260 7873
On a one man mission to stop people from buying boring bikes (cough cough klr)
alvincullumyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014