Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #44536
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Good to know. Looks slick and I'm sure its a big improvement over the stock suspenders. For now, I'll stick to changing the guts inside by stock tubes.

I'll keep that in mind for future projects.
It is a bit of a project. Depending on how hard you flog your bike, a fork brace and reworked internals may well be the better deal.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #44537
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
Thanks! I get the picture....
Pun?
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #44538
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,495
Well I got my endorsement on monday... put over 50 miles on the bike since then!

Here's just before my first street ride. I'm on the older black/white XRL and my buddy on his '03 XRL

Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #44539
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Well I got my endorsement on monday... put over 50 miles on the bike since then!

Here's just before my first street ride. I'm on the older black/white XRL and my buddy on his '03 XRL

AWESOME!

The fork boots might not look too hot but they will save the forks and make them last a lot longer... If you ride off road at all you should get a skid plate IMHO. It makes getting over logs MUCH easier

I like the black and white too, if you want to make the seat black, the covers are 30 bucks on ebay then just take it to an upholsterer... unless you have a steamer and a pneumatic staple gun.

I don't mean to nit pick... just trying to help out

-Barron
Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #44540
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Well I got my endorsement on monday... put over 50 miles on the bike since then!...
Congratulations! Riding on the street is fun, but it's much more dangerous than riding off road because of the homicidal car drivers. If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend you take the MSF, rider safety course.

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #44541
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
It makes getting over logs MUCH easier
I've got a skid plate but my skills on a BIG dirt bike aren't up to snuff for log hopping (yet). Just too tall and too big.

These bikes are capable of so much more than I am... and I think that is pretty cool.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #44542
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Congratulations! Riding on the street is fun, but it's much more dangerous than riding off road because of the homicidal car drivers. If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend you take the MSF, rider safety course.

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

Spud
Sorry Spud, there are no MSF courses available in Oregon. It's Team Oregon here, and it's better than the MSF. It's a pretty safe bet that he just took the Team Oregon course as it is required to get an endorsement for anyone under 41.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #44543
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Sorry Spud, there are no MSF courses available in Oregon. It's Team Oregon here, and it's better than the MSF. It's a pretty safe bet that he just took the Team Oregon course as it is required to get an endorsement for anyone under 41.

Walter
I forgot he was from Oregon, Walter. In Idaho we also don't have MSF, we have Idaho STAR. Everyone under 21 needs to take the STAR course in Idaho.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #44544
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
2000 RM250 49mm Showas.
Not too hard as long as you get the whole front end. You lose the steering lock and stock speedo in the process. The RM stem is quite a bit larger diameter than the XRL so you have to solve that somehow. I went the All Balls conversion bearing route. They took the XRL/RM fork swap out of their list, so that may no longer be an option. Another inmate over on TT did the same swap, but had a new stem machined and kept the OE bearings. A third option might be to simply have a bushing cut that will allow you to run the stock XRL stem in the RM lower triple...
Talk to me about turning turning your crf or other stems
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #44545
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,340
Quote:
It is a bit of a project. Depending on how hard you flog your bike, a fork brace and reworked internals may well be the better deal.
Ill turn it down and it will be bolt on. Pm me.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #44546
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:

You gotta love the tip toes on both riders Been there
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #44547
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
I'll let you know. That's exactly what I am doing.

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #44548
Badger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Looong Time Lurker, but follow regularly. You guys are one fun "family". I've met numerous ADV'ers on the raods over the years and never met a stranger. Moved to the XR650L a couple of weeks ago and love this bike. Tearing around the yard with the kids or across town it's a blast!! A day (mostly) without rain, two fill-ups of fuel, 266 miles, and a ride to New Orleans and back with alot of detours and meandering. The seat and bars need some changes for my orangutan arms.

Honey Badger Don't Give a Shit
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #44549
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Looong Time Lurker, but follow regularly. You guys are one fun "family". I've met numerous ADV'ers on the raods over the years and never met a stranger. Moved to the XR650L a couple of weeks ago and love this bike. Tearing around the yard with the kids or across town it's a blast!! A day (mostly) without rain, two fill-ups of fuel, 266 miles, and a ride to New Orleans and back with alot of detours and meandering. The seat and bars need some changes for my orangutan arms.

Welcome
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #44550
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post

Walter
MSF must suck.
alvincullumyork is online now   Reply With Quote