User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #44581
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,642
WFO,

My bike was doing the crank , no start bit and it was the start button on the handle bar. Hosed it out with electrical contact cleaner and it works fine.

You could try beating on the back of the CDI with a screwdriver handle and if it starts that means there is a short in the CDI.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #44582
WitchKing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Rantoul. Chanute AFB. I was there when they closed it down. Ghost town now.
That's awesome. My brother and I were just there, they use it for autocrossing now. Lots (literally) of space. I live close to Pekin
WitchKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #44583
WFO#1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
that's interesting because yes I did beat on the cdi box with no luck. With the prior cdi box I could smack it like you say and it would work for a while. I'll look into the start/kill switch button.
WFO#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #44584
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,642
WFO,

Forgot to mention that when my bike did the crank, no start bit it would bump start right away. Lucky for me I live in San Francisco. NO pushing, always a hill around.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #44585
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchKing View Post
That's awesome. My brother and I were just there, they use it for autocrossing now. Lots (literally) of space. I live close to Pekin
We lived there for about six years. Coming from Idaho, it was a huge shock! Mountains to flatland and cornfields. Then I got hooked on bowhunting and bass fishing and about ended up divorced!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #44586
F250Pal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I"m up in Reno and have the weekend off. Anyone near want to show me what this norcal nevada stuff is all about?

PM sent.
F250Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #44587
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250Pal View Post
PM sent.
Me too.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #44588
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFO#1 View Post
2006 xr650l heres the problem. sudden loss of spark. After researching the problem I replaced the cdi about a year ago (obtained from bike bandit), for same problem and it fixed it. Now faced with the question of ordering another cdi at 140$ and taking a chance it is the cdi again vs some other problem that I don't have the resources to deal with on my own. Could a year old cdi go bad, the bike sees no rough duty. So I either order another cdi or take it to the shop. thoughts? thanks Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
WFO,

My bike was doing the crank , no start bit and it was the start button on the handle bar. Hosed it out with electrical contact cleaner and it works fine.

You could try beating on the back of the CDI with a screwdriver handle and if it starts that means there is a short in the CDI.
I had a similar problem about a year ago also. I took the plug out and grounded it to the motor. It would show a weak spark when I hit the starter button, then nothing while cranking. Turned out to be the side stand safety switch. I eliminated the switch and the wire all the way up to where it plugs into the harness under the seat, jumpered the wires, and have not had a problem with it since. I don't remember which wires and I had to get some help reading the wiring diagram. Yeah, I'm stoopid when it comes to electrical things and partial color blind don't help either. Before I did that I did tap the CDI and disassemble and clean the starter switch.
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #44589
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,467
Question

Looks like I'll be ordering some bigger jets and doing Dave's mod soon...

Anyone from the Willamette Valley in Oregon have good luck with a particular jet size?
I'm thinking either 55/158 or 58/160

Engine is de-smogged, stock header with XR600 muffler, K&N air filter. No other engine mods that I know of.

Trying to run ethanol free fuel as much as possible, but it's hard to find in some areas here.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #44590
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post

Anyone from the Willamette Valley in Oregon have good luck with a particular jet size?

Engine is de-smogged, stock header with XR600 muffler, K&N air filter. No other engine mods that I know of.

Trying to run ethanol free fuel as much as possible, but it's hard to find in some areas here.
Don't assume that they need to be paired. FWIW, I live in similar climate and altitude to you and the 55/158 worked best for me. I would use an acceleration test for the main jet (g-meter on a phone or see how fast it will get going in fourth gear between two points). More is better. For the pilot, go for best throttle response. Then the bitch on all bikes is finding a needle that works well. I am not convinced that anybody has one for our bikes. I'm not a fan of the dynojet and that's it for drop in aftermarket needles. There may be other that would work, who knows. You can play with height of the stocker using washers/shims, but not taper or diameter. Good luck!
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #44591
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post

I'm in Creswell, so reasonably near by. I'm running a shimmed needle, drilled slide, desmoged, stock air filter, stock muffler with 55/158 jetting. All that being said, there is no one size fits all golden bullet for jetting. Take what I and others offer and use it as a reference to establish a base line. Go for a long ride and see if it's what you want, if it is then Robert is you fathers brother, if not then change out one jet +1/-1 and see if better or worse. Then change out the other and do the same +1/-1.

Here is a link to a carb tuning primer that I have found handy for general tuning. Figure 7 is a clear image of what jet does what when:

www.motorcyclecarbs.com/carbs101.pdf

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #44592
Rhoades
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Just picked up my XRL on the 18th. Was a great birthday present to myself!

Its a 96 with 7,000 miles. Now to try to decide what mods to go with!

Already has a DG exhaust, braided front lines, a plastic tank (not sure what brand), Supermoto fender and a Acerbis headlight. Also have all of the stock stuff that came off. Sorry for the grainy photo.
Rhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #44593
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoades View Post
Just picked up my XRL on the 18th. Was a great birthday present to myself!

Its a 96 with 7,000 miles. Now to try to decide what mods to go with!

Already has a DG exhaust, braided front lines, a plastic tank (not sure what brand), Supermoto fender and a Acerbis headlight. Also have all of the stock stuff that came off. Sorry for the grainy photo.

Awesome present! I'd start out with a skid plate and dave's mods on the carb and if you plan to ride off road I'd recommend one of the man racks engine protectors that guard the engine from getting punctured by the shifter, it's a 20 dollar fix that protects a 100 dollar part that also requires a new gasket to install... I wish I would have put one on when I got mine... I can also see you might need a new camera

-Barron
Old 07-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #44594
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
I can also see you might need a new camera

-Barron

I think its better than C-Dubs
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #44595
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Don't assume that they need to be paired. FWIW, I live in similar climate and altitude to you and the 55/158 worked best for me. I would use an acceleration test for the main jet (g-meter on a phone or see how fast it will get going in fourth gear between two points). More is better. For the pilot, go for best throttle response. Then the bitch on all bikes is finding a needle that works well. I am not convinced that anybody has one for our bikes. I'm not a fan of the dynojet and that's it for drop in aftermarket needles. There may be other that would work, who knows. You can play with height of the stocker using washers/shims, but not taper or diameter. Good luck!

I have the 58/160 I think, I talked to the Wizard yesterday, and told me the 155 might make more power. But, its running nearly perfect w/o any popping on decel. At higher RPM cruising it surges just a bit. I can live with that to have a good running bike without worrying about running lean. I am more possitive about the 160 than the 58. The bike runs so good after sending it to the Wizard.

Ooops, I quoted the wrong guy, sorry about that.