User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #31
wheelnut46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Thumb Muddy

Muddied up the beasty today. 56 degrees F and the family was pre-occupied with baseball. Time for Dad to go out and explore the local trails with daylight on his side. So the bike is tall and heavy. It's got some serious grunt and 13 inches of ground clearance. Wahoo! I was just putt-putting around through the trails, over some whoops, into some sand pits and climbing hills. I might have even caught a little air here and there. There were kids out there with 80's and 125's. Thats who these trails were made for. I stayed out of their way. I know I could take every one of them in the wide open. This bike is comfortable riding for hours on end. Also I rode street from one area to the next. What freedom! I dont know all the trails yet but I wasnt limited at all. My front tire was caking up and washing out pretty bad in the sand pits. I'll have to look into replacing that. All in all a fun day. No fancy long distance ride to tell about, just hours in the saddle, playing around and getting muddy in the woods on a great bike.
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #32
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut46
Muddied up the beasty today. 56 degrees F and the family was pre-occupied with baseball. Time for Dad to go out and explore the local trails with daylight on his side. So the bike is tall and heavy. It's got some serious grunt and 13 inches of ground clearance. Wahoo! I was just putt-putting around through the trails, over some whoops, into some sand pits and climbing hills. I might have even caught a little air here and there. There were kids out there with 80's and 125's. Thats who these trails were made for. I stayed out of their way. I know I could take every one of them in the wide open. This bike is comfortable riding for hours on end. Also I rode street from one area to the next. What freedom! I dont know all the trails yet but I wasnt limited at all. My front tire was caking up and washing out pretty bad in the sand pits. I'll have to look into replacing that. All in all a fun day. No fancy long distance ride to tell about, just hours in the saddle, playing around and getting muddy in the woods on a great bike.
Rained all day here Nut, so I spent all day cleaning and servicing mine. I switched over to full sythetic oil this time Ill let you if it make the shifting smoother.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:13 PM   #33
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,439
Well, a little colder here today but I had to take it out! Damn this thing is fun to ride!!! I love it. I talked to the best mech in the area and he is gonna rebuild my top end in Feb or March so I should be good to go!

I tried out my new beaded seat cushion today, I like! I'm sure it won't out perform a corbin but its pretty good!

I put a ride report up about today if anyone interested.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115401
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:31 AM   #34
onaXR OP
Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT
Just got my 06 XR650L after selling my 99. Great machines. Haven't figured how to post pics on here yet. But the new bike has the Clark tank, FMF Q Pipe, low front fender, XR tailite and 165/55 jetting mods including getting rid of the octopus. Was really considering a BRP this time around but decided to pass after spending a little time on one. The L is just too versatile, comfortable, with Estart ,and ok for the occasional off road. Had lots of fun on the old one so sprung for a fresh one.
I have to see a pic of that low front fender Red Cat send me a pm Ill host and post the picture for you.
I finished up my skidplate today total cost 8 bucks, post pics later tonite.

ROK you get those grips wired up? heres a shot of my grip on off switch with a rain cover.

onaXR screwed with this post 01-22-2006 at 11:37 AM
onaXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:53 AM   #35
onaXR OP
Druid

Old 01-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #36
TREADMARKS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoSnipe
Thanks for the info about the trailtech light TREADMARKS,as you can see I got one now as well. Great light. One question though,i'd like to know how you rewired,it was quite a difficult task. took me a few hours to find some way that somewhat satisfied me,but I'd like to re-do it some day a little cleaner. have any suggestions and/or pictures of yours?
Hi CoSnipe,

The tt racelight looks good on your bike!

What I did with my trailtech system is, I modified the reflector so that I could use an H4 bulb instead of the single element H1 that came with it. This unit uses hella glass with an "E" code which supports a DOT flute design. I used a reflector and bulb from one of those 10 million candlepower rescue lights. This gives me a low beam that dosen't offend oncoming traffic (too much), and a high beam that looks like instant sunshine. 10 million is alot for the highway, and I am currently experimenting with different bulbs and lens combinations to find something a little more compliant.

Ya gently hack off the back of the donor reflector with the H4 base. Then you open up the H1 hole enough for the base of the H4 bulb to sit flush. Then a little 650 degree high temp adhesive silicone, then a trip to the 150 degree oven for a couple of hours to set up.

I just ran new 12 gauge wires and switches from the battery through a relay to the headlight. It will eliminate the possibility burning up my wiring with the high amp bulbs I am planning to use. I also installed a headlight cut out switch for starting or service work when the headlight is not needed. I finished up the free form reflector and lens assembly for the 125/150 H4 bulb that will make up the off road package.
TREADMARKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #37
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR

ROK you get those grips wired up? heres a shot of my grip on off switch with a rain cover.
Nope, I haven't tackled that project yet. I was going to do it today but it was cold out and I'm pretty sore from my wipeout yesterday. I'm going to get the elements on first and then a friend is going to make a trick little mounting bracket to mount my toggle, and l.e.d. for it and a 12v outlet for my GPS. That should look pretty cool when its done. Do you have a better ( or bigger ) pic of your switch setup? if you do i'd like to see it.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 01-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #38
onaXR OP
Druid

Ill get you a pic of it tomarrow, its basically just a peice of aluminum stock with a hole for the toggle and a hole to be bolted under one of the handlebar bolts. Nothing high tech.
Are you going to insulate the left grip from the bar?
I didnt but now wish I did.
I wasnt doing anything so I went to the garage and took pics..

onaXR screwed with this post 01-22-2006 at 06:09 PM
onaXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #39
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
Thanks!

The paint everyone else is using is Krylon Fusion, I used the Rustoleum equivalent I found at HomeDepot, I cleaned them well and scuffed em up with scotch brite. I painted them several light coats then redid them after 24hrs and then let em sit up for a week. I leaned the bike up against the basketball hoop pole in my driveway today and the white paint from the pole came off onto the black paint, and the black paint was fine. I'd say it's pretty tuff stuff. Looks WAY better than White, For some reason White bikes bother me.

(In case anyone is wondering why I get the bike so close to the pole, is because that's what I chain/lock the bike to; I have nightmares this sucker gets stolen; seriously )

Did some mods today

Added the Acerbis Cyclope and a Polisport SM Fender (I dunno if I like it yet or not, I might go back to the old cut up Red one or try a different if this one catches too much wind). Last week, I noticed the Front wheel bearing was shot (wobbly wheel), well last night I took the wheel off and found one of the bearings inside was totally Exploed , later found out why was because the PO didn't put the center spacer in there, putting way too much stress on the bearings causing them to go TU, after only a few miles. At least I know it's got new bearings and the proper spacer in there now, I also replaced the dust seals too.
Looks great! You could get the black IMS tank and go for the Mad Max look, I'm tempted to do that to the DR...I would have a convert-a- bike maybe a SM and DS, all in one..

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:20 PM   #40
RRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Great weather made for some great riding this weekend !
Attached Images

2004 XR650L
www.damnriders.org
RRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #41
RRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Cheers
Attached Images

2004 XR650L
www.damnriders.org
RRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #42
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaXR
Ill get you a pic of it tomarrow, its basically just a peice of aluminum stock with a hole for the toggle and a hole to be bolted under one of the handlebar bolts. Nothing high tech.
Are you going to insulate the left grip from the bar?
I didnt but now wish I did.
I wasnt doing anything so I went to the garage and took pics..

Thanks! Thats what I was thinking about doing. There isn't really anything up there besides that to mount anything too. I'm planning on insulating mine. I'll probably use electrical tape, I think thats what people use right?
I bought an extra set of grips so I'd have two throttle grips.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 01-23-2006, 09:16 AM   #43
goblin
pig rider

Oddometer: 371
I got my corbin the other day had some fit issues but got it sorted out. Went for a 50 mi.loop yesterday and I must say it is by far one of the best things I have done to this bike. Happy trails.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #44
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag
I sold my 2003 (FMF Ti-4 with Powerbomb header, K&N, re-jetted) in a fit of madness, and immediately (like, when the guy was riding off with my bike) began to miss it - after two months I went to the dealer near my dad's and plopped down for a 2006. Mods to follow. I am trying to find the part number for the exhaut system I had - I think it's the same as the XR600R.
Well, I picked up my new XR-l on Saturday, and luckily the weather was good, so I rode from the dealer near my dad's in NJ to my home in Virginia, about 160 miles. Bike ran awesome, and got roughly 150 mpg. It idles a little higher than I would like, so I'll adjust that before the next ride.

Got a call from FMF, they don't make the exhaust I used to have (Ti-4 17" AMA). They only make the Ti-4 in the louder 14" (hard to believe the thing could be louder! )

Not sure about mods - the only thing so far is an XRs-Only temp dip stick - which was a great addition the first time. Just happy to be back on an XR-L!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #45
goblin
pig rider

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag
Well, I picked up my new XR-l on Saturday, and luckily the weather was good, so I rode from the dealer near my dad's in NJ to my home in Virginia, about 160 miles. Bike ran awesome, and got roughly 150 mpg. It idles a little higher than I would like, so I'll adjust that before the next ride.

Got a call from FMF, they don't make the exhaust I used to have (Ti-4 17" AMA). They only make the Ti-4 in the louder 14" (hard to believe the thing could be louder! )

Not sure about mods - the only thing so far is an XRs-Only temp dip stick - which was a great addition the first time. Just happy to be back on an XR-L!
You did mean 150mi per tank?