Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #44986
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
agreed. and while i'm at it, props to thumpnred for sending me a part free o charge. that's a kool dude right there, i don't care what yall say about him here...
Shhhhhh.... everyone will expect free chit now!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #44987
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 769
I have nothing to say about XRs right now but i wanted to get a post in on page 3000.

"Great! What am I supposed to use now?! Harsh language?!?!?"
- Duke Nukem
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #44988
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
I have nothing to say about XRs right now but i wanted to get a post in on page 3000.

I'm only on page 450 ... It makes it easier to keep up
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #44989
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hello, All,

Jets, upside down forks, XRR counter-sprockets, I can barely keep up with you guys. I must say this: You guys are great, and this thread is really very great (I am a taker, not a giver...). Keep up the good work.

PD
I am a reader of every single page. Toothbrush on the C/S spline, the works. Over the last few years I'm amazed at what I've learned from this very giving community. So thanks to all. And after the spline treatment I add silver anti-sieze. Hey, I gave back!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #44990
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
3000! We ALL need to GET A LIFE!
Are you saying reading this thread every night when I get home from work isn't a life? So what am I supposed to do then?

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #44991
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 438
Thanks for the pictures, particularly the one that showed the XR650L vs CRF230L fender side by side. I like how that doesn't look as susceptible to being a sail in the wind. It appears that it still protrudes far enough to actually be useful for blocking spray off the tire, right?

It is kind of hard to believe there's 3000 pages of stuff, mostly about the XRL, on this thread.

Barron is dead on - we don't get much say in who ships our stuff. That said, when they came out to do the pre-inspection to determine what they needed to bring on shipping day, they did measure the bike with mirrors folded in, and claimed they were going to bring a separate crate for it. I guess their cutting corners on packing day will only end up costing one crf fender ~$41 + shipping from powersportsplus.com, so you could say they gambled well.

Thanks for the tip on the heat gun. I haven't dealt with plastics much, so that's good to know. I'll straighten it out and keep as a spare just in case I decide to explore the trees in too much detail at some point.

The truck that delivered my stuff had a liftgate, but no ramps. The guys had a pretty ingenious method for getting the bike down safely:

Maybe I just need to get out more often, but I hadn't watched a truck separate itself from the container like that before, and I thought it was just pretty darn cool.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #44992
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
Thanks for the pictures, particularly the one that showed the XR650L vs CRF230L fender side by side. I like how that doesn't look as susceptible to being a sail in the wind. It appears that it still protrudes far enough to actually be useful for blocking spray off the tire, right?

It is kind of hard to believe there's 3000 pages of stuff, mostly about the XRL, on this thread.

Barron is dead on - we don't get much say in who ships our stuff. That said, when they came out to do the pre-inspection to determine what they needed to bring on shipping day, they did measure the bike with mirrors folded in, and claimed they were going to bring a separate crate for it. I guess their cutting corners on packing day will only end up costing one crf fender ~$41 + shipping from powersportsplus.com, so you could say they gambled well.

Thanks for the tip on the heat gun. I haven't dealt with plastics much, so that's good to know. I'll straighten it out and keep as a spare just in case I decide to explore the trees in too much detail at some point.

The truck that delivered my stuff had a liftgate, but no ramps. The guys had a pretty ingenious method for getting the bike down safely:

Maybe I just need to get out more often, but I hadn't watched a truck separate itself from the container like that before, and I thought it was just pretty darn cool.
That is pretty cool, great pic too. It should have a subtitle "You can come out of your cage now... we're in Belgium"

-Barron
Old 08-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #44993
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
x2...once again

I finally stopped taking jetting advice over the nets and said screw it, if the bike implodes on me from running "too lean" jets oh well at least I tried

everybody with the exception of a few gurus said jet up up up up get more "power" etc...

then I had one or two guys say jet way down till you feel uncomfortable and you start surging...

I never did get surge but I finally went down to stock jetting compensated for altitude

lean is mean equals more power at the expense(over a very long period of time I might add) engine life...

anywhoo

I finally got that tan plug color you recommended fritz and it was not with the oem carb but with a nice small tm38 flatslide...

I also got a whopping 10mpg mileage increase overall

not bad...

top speed is the same maybe a touch more..

anywhose

christian
Overly rich jetting is bad for engine life too. It can lead to early valve seal death, premature ring wear, detonation, dirty oil (and all that comes with that) etc. I would love to get a few guys to gather to buy a wide band O2 to share. That's the way to do it right. In truth, lean (and I mean lean of stochiometeric, not a relative lean) runs cooler (assuming there is no detonation),though with less power than stochiometeric, saves fuel and keeps the motor clean. The downside is ridability which usually suffers. I'm going to go search for a wide band that will send the info to my phone.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #44994
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 624
Plug readings...we don't neeeed no stinkin' plug reading...

Also with the talk of people ditching their side covers for XR600R side covers I am still looking for a air box side cover for a experiment I want to try but don't want to cut mine, so If there is a hole or holes in it that's ok or if it's a bit roughed up that's ok also,
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #44995
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Anyone know if the the XR400 seat will work on our bike?

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #44996
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
Plug readings...we don't neeeed no stinkin' plug reading...

Also with the talk of people ditching their side covers for XR600R side covers I am still looking for a air box side cover for a experiment I want to try but don't want to cut mine, so If there is a hole or holes in it that's ok or if it's a bit roughed up that's ok also,
What carb. do you have?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #44997
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
OK, Got home from work and pulled out the factory service manual.

Oil level is 145mm

By volume 564cc or 19.1oz

Weight listed is Pro Honda SS-7 or 7W

Air pressure O as in ZERO

It's my Friday night. Back to my Jack 'n Coke.
Thanks Steve!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #44998
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
WOW is this a popular thread or what?

Yes it is, thats why its always open in my browser. Now if some of the other threads were only this active. I want instant advice and help lol.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #44999
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about motorcycles until I got my XRL and found this thread. I found out I don't know squat and would be a frustrated dude without the help here. Lots of great info and guys here. Thanks everyone!

Steve

sc-razor screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 11:41 AM
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #45000
guinnessextreme
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
crap! did i show you my bars???

Tell me more about bar mounts please!