Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #47731
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
So, I wake up this morning at the crack of 9 after sleeping in a teepee (no joke), fire up the bike and ride it 30 miles to get it warmed up. Stop and check the oil....boom! It's back at the U in Upper on the factory dipstick.....so now I feel like a retard. I must have messed something up when I read it last night. I ride the rest of the day down the coast. Check it twice more while I'm riding. Once it's about a centimeter below the U, the second time it's right at the U again. I rode about 200 miles of winding coastal road, about 10 miles of stalled traffic in downtown San Francisco, and about 90 miles of freeway. Oil temps ranged from 200 while on the coast, 255 in stalled traffic, and about 240 while I was cruising on the freeway. I finished riding and checked the oil one last time....about a centimeter below the U again. So, my best guess is that if I'm losing oil, it's negligible...or I'm just not getting a good read. I do have some questions though:

1.) What kind of oil temps do people normally see when they are maintaining a steady speed (around 60-65) for long distances (100+ miles) in mild to warm weather (70-80 degrees)?

2.) What kind of temp do you absolutley need to shut the bike down (or slow way the hell down) to keep from burnining something up? I've had a few mechanics tell me 300 degrees, what do you all think?

3.) Even if I'm only burning about a centimeter of oil per day, is it worth taking it in to a shop to have them look at it before I cross the border? Or should I just suck it up, quit being a bitch, and go?

4.) Does anyone know of any other inmates that have tried taking an XRL all the way to South America? I would love to talk to them....

Anyways, I'll shut up now and listen, but expect me to freak out over some trivial matter frequently in my misguided and ill prepared journey south.....

PM responded. Also....... JUST RIDE. The bike will run at 70mph in 95 degree days all day long and be fine. I know, I did it.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #47732
D-man
SHUT UP & RIDE!

Oddometer: 751
Chain guard options

I looked on-line and could not really find any thing I liked for a chain guard.. I like the stock coverage.. in theory the inner flap will keep some of the dust and dirt the rear wheel kicks up off the chain but my stock one is trashed. I think an aluminum or steel one may just beat it self to death with all the up and down hammering the swing arm gets.

Any one have/find /make a better solution than stock? not hard to fab a better LOOKING one but will it work as good?
Thanks

dman

IT'S ALL GOOD!

D-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #47733
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
I kinda just wanted to set the damn thing on fire.

My engine won't even turn over. All I get is a click.
Strange it won't even turn over. Mine spins well just no sparky which I can't understand how the coil took a crap during this process. I've shorted the safeties at the clutch with no luck. All fuses good. Smack the CDI (which has been stone reliable) nothing. Did I plug in the stator connection? Yep! Unplug it and plug it back in. Nothing.

I know the set it on fire feeling!

good luck
John
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #47734
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-man View Post
I looked on-line and could not really find any thing I liked for a chain guard.. I like the stock coverage.. in theory the inner flap will keep some of the dust and dirt the rear wheel kicks up off the chain but my stock one is trashed. I think an aluminum or steel one may just beat it self to death with all the up and down hammering the swing arm gets.

Any one have/find /make a better solution than stock? not hard to fab a better LOOKING one but will it work as good?
Thanks

dman

I made a few ,

I'll try to get a pic up today ,

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #47735
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 357
Quote:

Thanks

dman
therealbigman made one up. i'm sure he'll chime in here shortly with a pic...
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #47736
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,674
Quote:
What is the maximum load? I could probably shed some tools, but the biggest weight right now is my damn ammo can panniers. 22lbs apiece. And the six gallons of fuel. Actually, the biggest weight it me. I need to lose a leg or something. That would lighten things up! I feel sorry for those few 300+ pound riders out there....
See previous post, the stock bike, as it came from the cow, is rated for 325 pounds load weight. Thats you, the fuel, and all your gear. AND that is with the stock springs. Different springs increase that load weight number.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #47737
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,674
Quote:
So, I wake up this morning at the crack of 9 after sleeping in a teepee (no joke), fire up the bike and ride it 30 miles to get it warmed up. Stop and check the oil....boom! It's back at the U in Upper on the factory dipstick.....so now I feel like a retard. I must have messed something up when I read it last night. I ride the rest of the day down the coast. Check it twice more while I'm riding. Once it's about a centimeter below the U, the second time it's right at the U again. I rode about 200 miles of winding coastal road, about 10 miles of stalled traffic in downtown San Francisco, and about 90 miles of freeway. Oil temps ranged from 200 while on the coast, 255 in stalled traffic, and about 240 while I was cruising on the freeway. I finished riding and checked the oil one last time....about a centimeter below the U again. So, my best guess is that if I'm losing oil, it's negligible...or I'm just not getting a good read. I do have some questions though:

1.) What kind of oil temps do people normally see when they are maintaining a steady speed (around 60-65) for long distances (100+ miles) in mild to warm weather (70-80 degrees)? About 210 to 240 on my 96 model.

2.) What kind of temp do you absolutley need to shut the bike down (or slow way the hell down) to keep from burnining something up? I've had a few mechanics tell me 300 degrees, what do you all think? 300 or more, syn oil is tough

3.) Even if I'm only burning about a centimeter of oil per day, is it worth taking it in to a shop to have them look at it before I cross the border? Or should I just suck it up, quit being a bitch, and go? My old 96 burns about an OZ per 200 miles in summer heat.

4.) Does anyone know of any other inmates that have tried taking an XRL all the way to South America? I would love to talk to them.... Maybe you should have started with those discussions

Anyways, I'll shut up now and listen, but expect me to freak out over some trivial matter frequently in my misguided and ill prepared journey south.....
What you are seeing on the oil level being inconsistant is caused by an inconsistant checking method. Get a routine going of checking the oil the same way each time. Also the oil level will rise about 3/8" from cold to hot. My routine after a ride is to park the bike on a center stand while it's ideling, it must be level by the way, shut the fuel off and let it idel till it dies. Check and add oil as needed to the full mark. As mentioned above, when it cools down the level will be below the full mark.When trail riding I park on a level surface, sit on the bike holding it as upright as possible, and let it idel a good minute or so, shut it off and check the oil level while keeping the bike as upright as possible.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #47738
mudslngr
mud .....a necessity

Oddometer: 55
Stator install

I posted this in the wrong section earlier so... Here goes...

Greetings All,
Can someone point me in the direction of a stator install. The shop manual is not cutting it. Also do I need to remove the flywheel?

On another note. I was draining the oil and notice very clean oil in the downtube. Which I know I added quite some time ago. Yet the lower drain plug oil is dirty WTF? MUD!

94 XR650l
Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #47739
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
I made a few ,

I'll try to get a pic up today ,
You holding out on me?

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #47740
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
See previous post, the stock bike, as it came from the cow, is rated for 325 pounds load weight. Thats you, the fuel, and all your gear. AND that is with the stock springs. Different springs increase that load weight number.

Ehh...I'm good. I'm right around 325 with all my gear and fuel. Maybe about 15 pounds over. But, I had a custom spring made to handle the extra weight. It definetly is taxing the engine a little though, especially on hills.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #47741
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I was in from 2007 to early 2011. Back in Corvallis and going to OSU full time. Your brother came by a few times with the bike to compare some things and try out the XR600 muffler I've got. I'm jealous of all the extras you guys put on. I'd love to have a full rack system, skidplate, and Acerbis tank.

Oh, and it's Brown Falcon because my last name is Brown. I never was a blue falcon, but the nickname just kinda stuck.
Nice! Thanks for your service! I was in from 2005 to 2012. Just went on terminal in June. My afghanistan money is funding this ill advised adventure that i'm on. What unit were you with? I should have looked you up when I was in Corvallis.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #47742
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
What you are seeing on the oil level being inconsistant is caused by an inconsistant checking method.
Yeah he's not very smart and doesn't listen to well. He should also turn on his tracks with the spot!
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #47743
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Have you scraped the paint away where the ground wires attach to the frame? There is also a single green wire above the headlight that needs to be connected. Don't ask.
Yeah man, I just went in with my dremel and enlarged/smoothed it out to be sure though. I've got all other wires properly connected too.

Thanks again for your engine build post mainly for this pic right here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Starter reduction gears go on

Can you guess what part was F'n me in the A?

-Barron
Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #47744
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,335
So,

According to the book my rectifier is off by a little, my ignition coil is shot, my spark plug boot resistance is too low (that's probably because I pulled the fuse out and replaced it with a piece of metal...)

While trouble shooting the demons out of my bike today I noticed that the power wire to the starter was hot, and it was hot all the way back to the battery.

So since my engine wouldn't turn over I figured I should see if the starter was even spinning, so I pulled out the two bolts that hold it in slid it out of the engine and bolted the ground onto the starter (after first getting a fireworks display when I thought sitting on there might be good enough )

I found out that it spun quite well...

So if it will spin the engine should be spinning regardless of all the f'd up electronics, so I say to myself "What the hell could it be... shit."

I remembered someone having an issue with a misplaced washer inside the starter reduction gear housing... so I pulled it off and sure as shit the washer was on the wrong shaft, so I put it all back together (correctly this time) and for shits and giggles I even hooked up all the electronics.

It fired right up.:fr eaky

Then I shut it off so I can check oil flow and reapply copious amounts of dielectric grease to protect it that I had to wipe away to do all my testing...

Thanks again for all your help guys!

-Barron
Old 10-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #47745
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:

Thanks

dman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
therealbigman made one up. i'm sure he'll chime in here shortly with a pic...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
You holding out on me?

Here is 1 that is aluminum sanded with 220 .

Here is 1 thats been powdecoated

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote