Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #47791
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
One of the things I have learned about pouring beer is the difference in the experience between a loud pour- making it bubble like hell and a quiet pour- trying to get the least amount of bubbles possible.

I agree that with a traditional pour Delerium is too bubbly to really taste it, but if you pour it loud the taste is great. This is true with all carbonated drinks, like if you drink a flat or near flat coke, it will be really sweet. It's not cause there's any more sugar in there, it's just cause the bubbles aren't floating it over your tongue. Don't try this with cheap beer, the bubbles are there for good reason, but good beer will be a rewarding experience.

and for information purposes only, if you take a beer like say... Kasteel rouge and want to make it stronger and don't mind flat or near flat beer, you could say, pour it into a pitcher and put that pitcher in the freezer, after a while the water in the beer will freeze and you can remove it with a fork. If you were to remove say 15 to 20 percent of this beer, you could then pour it back into a glass, wait for the remaining ice to melt and enjoy a much more powerful, tasteful beer

(The "for information purposes only" is cause doing the steps above is a form of distilling and therefore illegal )- if you get caught

Yes, I am a beer snob

-Barron
Belgium: "Something lighter please". I get a 9% in a glass as big as my head. Love it, as well as your beer tips above.

Not military, just a military brat. Thank you to all for what you do. Pic from my old town many years ago, used to take my 1972 G4TR though these gates to get to the train tracks to ride! Took this just last weekend.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #47792
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbl View Post
Belgium: "Something lighter please". I get a 9% in a glass as big as my head. Love it, as well as your beer tips above.

Not military, just a military brat. Thank you to all for what you do. Pic from my old town many years ago, used to take my 1972 G4TR though these gates to get to the train tracks to ride! Took this just last weekend.

Right on, how far into Northern VA are you? I'm right off of 301 in VA close to the Maryland border right now...
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #47793
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,340
All this talk of the service has gotten me all sentimental and shit...
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #47794
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Right on, how far into Northern VA are you? I'm right off of 301 in VA close to the Maryland border right now...
I am in Herndon, just near Dulles airport.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #47795
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
So wandering if i buy the turn signal version of these bulbs do i gotta change the flasher too?
If you replace all four, incandescent, turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs, you will need to get an electronic, or LED flasher relay. If you change only the front, or only the rear bulbs, you might be able to keep the stock flasher relay.

The turn signal indicator light in the XR650L uses each side of the turn signal system as a ground for the other side. Therefore, if you are using four, LED turn signals, you must remove the turn signal indicator bulb for the LED turn signals to work. If you wish to retain the turn signal indicator bulb, you can install the Kuryakyn Diode Kit.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/719/Diode-Kit

If you wish, you can also make your own diode kit. Merely solder diodes into both the orange and sky blue wires leading to the indicator bulb, and connect another wire to ground, as shown in the following diagram.

When I performed this modification on my 200cc trail bike, I used 1N4004 diodes I purchased from Radio Shack.

You can purchase a 2-pack of these diodes for $1.19, or you can buy a 25-pack of mixed diodes for $2.99.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2036270#
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=107592762

If you have an LED flasher relay installed, your LED turn signals will work as soon as you remove the turn signal indicator bulb. Removing the indicator bulb breaks the bleed over circuit to the turn signals on the opposite side. Therefore, removing the turn signal indicator bulb will allow you to use your LED turn signals. However, your turn signal indicator will not work with LED turn signals unless you solder the diodes into the wires as I described.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #47796
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Not to get too sidetracked..., but Barron have you had anything from this brewery? There are some truly incredible breweries in Nor Cal, and this is one of them.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/

Really, world class. In a few weeks I'm going to a multi course dinner paired with their beers. I went a few years ago, and it was insane.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #47797
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Not to get too sidetracked..., but Barron have you had anything from this brewery? There are some truly incredible breweries in Nor Cal, and this is one of them.

Really, world class. In a few weeks I'm going to a multi course dinner paired with their beers. I went a few years ago, and it was insane.
I haven't but I'll keep an eye out for it, that dinner sounds great!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #47798
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
So wandering if i buy the turn signal version of these bulbs do i gotta change the flasher too?
Yeah man, everything Spud said. I swapped my rear signals into LED's and had to get an electronic flasher, then I went all LED "bulbs" in the OEM signals and had to install the kuryakyn diode pictured in Spuds' post. All of it was easy and Spuds' diagrams are on point.

Thanks again for those Spud

-Barron
Old 10-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #47799
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
If you replace all four, incandescent, turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs, you will need to get an electronic, or LED flasher relay. If you change only the front, or only the rear bulbs, you might be able to keep the stock flasher relay.

The turn signal indicator light in the XR650L uses each side of the turn signal system as a ground for the other side. Therefore, if you are using four, LED turn signals, you must remove the turn signal indicator bulb for the LED turn signals to work. If you wish to retain the turn signal indicator bulb, you can install the Kuryakyn Diode Kit.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/719/Diode-Kit

If you wish, you can also make your own diode kit. Merely solder diodes into both the orange and sky blue wires leading to the indicator bulb, and connect another wire to ground, as shown in the following diagram.

When I performed this modification on my 200cc trail bike, I used 1N4004 diodes I purchased from Radio Shack.

You can purchase a 2-pack of these diodes for $1.19, or you can buy a 25-pack of mixed diodes for $2.99.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2036270#
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=107592762

If you have an LED flasher relay installed, your LED turn signals will work as soon as you remove the turn signal indicator bulb. Removing the indicator bulb breaks the bleed over circuit to the turn signals on the opposite side. Therefore, removing the turn signal indicator bulb will allow you to use your LED turn signals. However, your turn signal indicator will not work with LED turn signals unless you solder the diodes into the wires as I described.

Spud
Ahhh, i see. I had to do that on a fuel gauge i put in a rock buggy once. Merely replacing the bulbs and flasher relay does not work. So for clarification to others you cant buy new led turn signals and a low watt flasher relay and use the stock wiring then unless you use the diodes?to make the indicator light on the dash flash.
A flasher relay and led bulbs will work just no flashin light on dash w/o diodes.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #47800
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,665
Quote:

Picked this bulb or bulbs at the local vato zone auto parts store.
Not a ton brighter but less juice to power.
Also picked up an hid kit for my cyclops light, again lett wattage for my stator
Snapped off the end of the crank- BTDT, but not on a honda.

I've successfully brazed the magneto on...
Old 10-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #47801
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Ahhh, i see. I had to do that on a fuel gauge i put in a rock buggy once. Merely replacing the bulbs and flasher relay does not work. So for clarification to others you cant buy new led turn signals and a low watt flasher relay and use the stock wiring then unless you use the diodes?to make the indicator light on the dash flash.
A flasher relay and led bulbs will work just no flashin light on dash w/o diodes.
Almost... The OEM relay doesn't usually work with LED's but I have seen posts of some guys doing it- but they may have had inline resistors to make the relay think the LED was a bulb.

With just rear turn signal LED's everything functioned properly after installing an electronic relay.

With front and rear LED's it was all f'd up without the diode, I don't remember the exact symptoms, but I do remember that the signals themselves not just the indicator were malfunctioning causing me to put the bulbs back in the front.

With the diode installed it's all good, even my tail light is LED now.

When we all start talking about some of the things we wish Honda would upgrade on these bikes I think the LED signals is one that never gets mentioned.

-Barron
Old 10-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #47802
mabuz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
XRL guys, hope this is in the right place...just looking for some guidance on a possible XR650L pick up.

I've been looking into getting a dual sport for a while now, I sold my Sportster about a year ago, and was thinking I needed something a little more fun, the cruiser bikes just weren't my thing I guess. I looked around a little at that time, just seeing what was out there, not too serious just getting info, but have become more serious about getting a dually lately. I went to a few dealers to check their used inventory, and from reading here and taking a couple test rides, I was pretty much set on finding a nice used KLR. I know, don't hate me yet, I had an XR250L for a few years when I was younger, but I only ever rode it in the woods.

However, I just found a guy selling an '06 XR650L. It has about 9,000 miles on it, he still rides it to work every day that it's nice out he says. Just passed PA state inspection. Don't think he's done much to it other than it has a larger tank on it now. I'm going to talk to him a little more about it this weekend and try to take a look at it.

I wanted to ask what you all recommend me to look for when I go to see this bike. I've read about some people cracking the sub frames from over loading them here? Is this something that is pretty obvious when looking a bike over? I know basic things to look for for any vehicle, but wanted to see if there were any "specific to these bikes" things to look for that may cause problems for me down the road. Anything that pops up on one of these with 9K miles on it...I'm guessing it's mostly "on road" miles due to the little info I got from him so far, but I can't be sure until I talk with him more.

I intend to use it mostly for smaller weekend trips and occasional woods riding with friends for now, but if it proves reliable, I plan on trying to get into some longer trips a couple times a year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
mabuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #47803
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuz View Post
XRL guys, hope this is in the right place...just looking for some guidance on a possible XR650L pick up.

I've been looking into getting a dual sport for a while now, I sold my Sportster about a year ago, and was thinking I needed something a little more fun, the cruiser bikes just weren't my thing I guess. I looked around a little at that time, just seeing what was out there, not too serious just getting info, but have become more serious about getting a dually lately. I went to a few dealers to check their used inventory, and from reading here and taking a couple test rides, I was pretty much set on finding a nice used KLR. I know, don't hate me yet, I had an XR250L for a few years when I was younger, but I only ever rode it in the woods.

However, I just found a guy selling an '06 XR650L. It has about 9,000 miles on it, he still rides it to work every day that it's nice out he says. Just passed PA state inspection. Don't think he's done much to it other than it has a larger tank on it now. I'm going to talk to him a little more about it this weekend and try to take a look at it.

I wanted to ask what you all recommend me to look for when I go to see this bike. I've read about some people cracking the sub frames from over loading them here? Is this something that is pretty obvious when looking a bike over? I know basic things to look for for any vehicle, but wanted to see if there were any "specific to these bikes" things to look for that may cause problems for me down the road. Anything that pops up on one of these with 9K miles on it...I'm guessing it's mostly "on road" miles due to the little info I got from him so far, but I can't be sure until I talk with him more.

I intend to use it mostly for smaller weekend trips and occasional woods riding with friends for now, but if it proves reliable, I plan on trying to get into some longer trips a couple times a year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Take a set of allen wrenches with you... pull the countershaft cover off and check the splines on the shaft. It would not be unlikely that they are worn with that many miles on the bike.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #47804
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Take a set of allen wrenches with you... pull the countershaft cover off and check the splines on the shaft. It would not be unlikely that they are worn with that many miles on the bike.
great suggestion! though keep in mind your gonna need to put cash in the guys hand before you start disassembling another mans motorcycle at his house..... wtf??
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #47805
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post

Pliny the Elder and Damnation. The next day you'll feel how delicate the human body is.