Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #48331
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,955
Now I need a little help please...

The bar risers on the new bike are...

A: too short and...
B: hit the new tank.

So far I've just been dealing with it but it is nice to be able to use the whole range of motion.

The 04 had a 3" RSW racing triple clamp(dropped for a Kouba lowering link) and the stock cables work fine. I'd just switch out triple clamps but the RSW risers are for a 7/8" bar, not the 1 1/8" bar I have now.

What I'm thinking I want are the Rox 3 1/2" risers. So...

Is anyone running the 3 1/2" risers on a stock bike, stock cables, no lowering link. Do the stock cables work with the 3 1/2" riser?

If they don't reach, I can probably make due with the 2" risers for the time being as I'd rather deal with a little slouching then replacing all the cables at this time.

bwalsh screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 01:11 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #48332
Lonestar2112
B_nned Camp Parolee

Oddometer: 6,076
I did the 3.5" rise. I also added ATV high bend bars. The results.....new cables +3" and +4" to keep things clean. Motion pro has the clutch and choke cables at +3". I went with +4" Barnes for the throttle cables.

I did not try with the Rox and a regular bend bar.
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #48333
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
Moose fat bar adaptor, risers, tallest 50mm & Protaper Pastrana FMX/ATV High bars. Stock cables, maybe a little rerouting & works great.
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #48334
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
What I am saying is that SOME people think a great, correct in every way write up makes what they say 100% true 100% of the time.

Not so.

Your spelling and grammar sucks! Get a PHD will ya. Do you ride another bike besides the Honda?
I know what you meant Fritz,i was just kidding.........and no i only ride the Honda,,i can`t afford BMW and Harleys........maybe someday when i grow up

My grammar and spelling is supposed to suck,,i was a mechanic for 25 years and sniffed alot of chemicals

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #48335
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I did the 3.5" rise. I also added ATV high bend bars. The results.....new cables +3" and +4" to keep things clean. Motion pro has the clutch and choke cables at +3". I went with +4" Barnes for the throttle cables.

I did not try with the Rox and a regular bend bar.
I've got the CR-high bend bars, stock triple clamp. What 3 1/2" riser did you go with?

Just an FYI...got off the phone with Motion Pro. They have 3" longer push, pull(throttle) and clutch cables in stock(not in their cataloge yet) for the XRL. They don't have a 3" replacement for the choke yet...

Prices given to me...

Pull cable =28.19
Push cable =27.23
Clutch cable=15.99
Choke cable=35.00(custom build)

Who is this "Barnes" you speak of? Got a link?

Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #48336
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
I like all the commas,,,,,,,,,,must be a Canadian thing We love you though Brian!

John

wtf.............

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #48337
Lonestar2112
B_nned Camp Parolee

Oddometer: 6,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I've got the CR-high bend bars, stock triple clamp. What 3 1/2" riser did you go with?

Just an FYI...got off the phone with Motion Pro. They have 3" longer push, pull(throttle) and clutch cables in stock(not in their cataloge yet) for the XRL. They don't have a 3" replacement for the choke yet...

Prices given to me...

Pull cable =28.19
Push cable =27.23
Clutch cable=15.99
Choke cable=35.00(custom build)

Who is this "Barnes" you speak of? Got a link?

I did Rox rizers. They are the only ones that I will use. The Barnes cables are spendy. It cost me $40/cable. Those prices seem reasonable. I bought my bcables 8 months ago and MP said that they were going to make the choke cable a standard....I gues they are a bit slow.

I miss typed. Barnett. http://www.barnettclutches.com/ They are local to me. If you order it will be a special order. Yes they do cables also.
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #48338
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
wtf.............

B
Yeah, me too, WTF? I only counted one comma. Must be a Hillbilly thing???
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #48339
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Yeah, me too, WTF? I only counted one comma. Must be a Hillbilly thing???

B
Old 10-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #48340
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
...... When i grow up

shut your mouth!

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #48341
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Question How much benefit to a full header-back aftermarket exhaust on the xrl?

I have a Big Gun slip-on on my xrl, just wondering how much noticeable benefit I'll get from adding an aftermarket header to go with it? I really don't want to lose any of the awesome torque I have now, but wouldn't mind a little more power for higher speed highway cruising at my 5000 to 8000+ft of elevation. In my experience with other bikes, you almost always lose some low end to gain up top with aftermarket exhausts. Just wondering how the xrl is affected, and if its worth doing?
Thanks in advance for any feedback given

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 11:21 AM
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #48342
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I have a Big Gun slip-on on my xrl, just wondering how much noticeable benefit I'll get from adding an aftermarket header to go with it? I really don't want to lose any of the awesome torque I have now, but wouldn't mind a little more power for higher speed highway cruising at my 5000 to 8000+ft of elevation. In my experience with othe bikes, you almost always lose some low end to gain up top with aftermarket exhausts. Just wondering how the xrl is affected, and if its worth doing?

I have the White Bros. E3 system, header and muffler. The low end does not seem to be affected by this combination.
If highway cruse seems sluggish, you may be jetted too rich for your altitude. For 5000 to 8000 feet you should be at 48 pilot and 145 to 147 main. Check with a dealer at your altitude.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #48343
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
The bar risers on the new bike are...

A: too short and...
B: hit the new tank.

So far I've just been dealing with it but it is nice to be able to use the whole range of motion.

The 04 had a 3" RSW racing triple clamp(dropped for a Kouba lowering link) and the stock cables work fine. I'd just switch out triple clamps but the RSW risers are for a 7/8" bar, not the 1 1/8" bar I have now.

What I'm thinking I want are the Rox 3 1/2" risers. So...

Is anyone running the 3 1/2" risers on a stock bike, stock cables, no lowering link. Do the stock cables work with the 3 1/2" riser?

If they don't reach, I can probably make due with the 2" risers for the time being as I'd rather deal with a little slouching then replacing all the cables at this time.

If you check on rswracing.com you will find 1 1/8 replacement bar risers. I just priced them because I was looking for a replacement. They are $52 that includes shipping. If you use the stock rise handlebars the stock thorthol cables will work. But you will need the plus 3 inch motion pro clutch cable.If you go with atv bars or kawasaki high bend bars you will need the longer thorthol cables also. Found you a link. http://rswracing.com/barmounts.htm
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #48344
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I have a Big Gun slip-on on my xrl, just wondering how much noticeable benefit I'll get from adding an aftermarket header to go with it? I really don't want to lose any of the awesome torque I have now, but wouldn't mind a little more power for higher speed highway cruising at my 5000 to 8000+ft of elevation. In my experience with othe bikes, you almost always lose some low end to gain up top with aftermarket exhausts. Just wondering how the xrl is affected, and if its worth doing?
I've got FMF powerbomb header and the Q4 exhaust. When I put the OEM exhaust and header back on it runs rough, mainly cause I need to rejet, but the reason I need to rejet is because of the restricted flow...

I'm happy with my FMF stuff and I'm going to put it back on the first chance I get (which is why I didn't bother changing my jets

I never did a dyno but swapping from aftermarket to OEM was VERY noticeable to me in the power, response and tone of the bike.

-Barron
Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #48345
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I did Rox rizers. They are the only ones that I will use. The Barnes cables are spendy. It cost me $40/cable. Those prices seem reasonable. I bought my bcables 8 months ago and MP said that they were going to make the choke cable a standard....I gues they are a bit slow.

I miss typed. Barnett. http://www.barnettclutches.com/ They are local to me. If you order it will be a special order. Yes they do cables also.
Yeah, I have no problem with those prices. Just posted them for others to see.
I'm just trying to go as tall as possible without having to change the cables too. I can live with a smaller lift. I could probably live with the 1" lift I have now if it didn't hit the tank. I don't do much serious off road but I do like to be able to stand up now and then.

Thanks for the replies/help Bob!