Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #48421
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
ahh that makes some sense!
do they work good?
i was pondering buying a set of gerbings battery powered gloves from a guy at work. his commute is short now and doesnt need them. they have a new set of batterys. he wants $75
Get the GERBINGS... they are great, I have the 12v gloves and jacket liner.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #48422
Idaho_XR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I don't need heated gloves... I just need gloves that go up above my jacket cuffs! It sucks having water going up your sleeve on the way to school. Plus my gloves are perforated leather, so not waterproof at all.

I need me some waterproof gauntlet gloves... but I'm a poor, unemployed, disabled vet, full-time student (and my wife won't let me buy new gloves). Sorry, I'm done wallowing in self-pity now. Now to wallow in a bottle of beer instead...

Damn man! Sounds like you need something like this http://www.fleetfarm.com/mff/detail/...FWlxQgodpnIAsA

I tried thinking of some ideas for you, but they are all pretty ghetto, i.e., rubber bands and shit. I think you need to tell your wife that your hands are important love making tools that need to be taken care of.
Thanks for your service Marine and good luck!
Idaho_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #48423
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
Heated grips........

Love em, have had em on nearly every bike my wife and I have owned and have been using them for over 10 yrs. Even put them on my sportbikes and even my old trackbike. Those early and late season mornings can get pretty cold and grip heaters really help alot when your hands would be so cold you couldn't easily operate your brake and clutch if you didn't have them.

In any event,,,,,, Spud, I know you have already ordered those Tusks branded grips but next time you order a set, get some that do not use a resister to control heat. That big white thing in that pic is the resister and it controls heat by dumping current into heat at the resister. While that's not normally a biggie, on many dual sports you don't have alot of extra current to waste. The heated grips that use a resister use exactly the same amount of current/wattage on low as they do on high.

Dual Star grips use two different "grids" for low and high and when you pick the "low" setting, the grips use less wattage than they do on high which can be of use if your bike doesn't have alot of extra stator output or you are also using other electrical accessories like a heated vest/jacket or lighting.

Also, the Dual Star type heated elements use a larger grid for the left grip thereby making the heat output more even between the right throttle grip side and the naked clutch side. Even so, it's wise to use a layer of insulating heat shrink on the left bar end to ensure that the two grips are even in heat output. I hate to keep bringing up Dual Star [especially since many have had issues with the company} but the heat shrink that Dual Star uses has a glue on the inside that insulates even better than normal, rather thin heat shrink.

Grip heaters combined with something like Hippo Hands rock. You can use relatively light, summer type gloves for feel yet still have nice warm mitts.

Some people hate Hippo Hands and I have to admit, I don't like them either, especially on my dual sports. I use large wind guards and while not as warm as hippo-hands {or their cheaper but equally effective knock-offs}, are better than nothing and heated grips without someway to block the wind is nearly nothing. I use DL650 wind gaurds on my DL and my FZR,,,, even used them on a couple of sportbikes. On my XR and my wife's DR, I used some Stearn's ATV wind gaurds that are made of foam and nylon and strap on using velcro straps and nylon ties at the very end. I bought em in the spring when Walmart had an end of season sale,,,,,, bought something like 5 pairs at a whoopin 7$ a pair. They are ugly but they are easy to mount/unmount and they are cheap,,,,, I like cheap and to me, "Purdy is as purdy does".

Look like this-

I also wear and like electric gloves but I still like the grips because they are always on the bike unlike your elecgtric gloves. There will always be times when you get caught out and the temps fall or maybe it starts raining and those nice warm gloves are at home.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #48424
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Another thing that I used to have on my KLX along with the grip heaters was a pair of Moose "Elephant ears". I ran them all winter to block the wind from my hands. Also got a pair of Moose winter gloves with removable gators. Between the three, I could make the 20 mile commute to work when the temps were near freezing without my hands going numb. Before using all three, I had times when I couldn't work the brake or clutch by the time I was haflway there.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #48425
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 552
My grip heaters were purchased from Aerostich and have worked well for a couple years now. They are the old fashioned Hi/Lo/Off switch style with the big resistor for the low setting. However, I got rid of the switch and resistor and added a PWM off fleabay such as this thread descibes:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rip+controller

It is a great mod because it eliminates the wasted energy and the heat caused by the resistor, plus you now have infinite heat control from 0 - 100%.
1983 XL100S
1985 ATC250ES

mrfixit54016 screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 08:21 AM
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #48426
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thank you, Barron, Steve, and Tom. I ordered the CR High Bend handlebars and some grip heaters. I hope to get these items installed this weekend.

Spud
Here's a great way to install the bark busters if your using them. Tap the bar 7/16" - 14 and machine an aluminum ( or any ) bolt to hold the end bolt of the buster. A VERY rugged set up instead of the wedge type the busters come with..

Aluminum bolt
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #48427
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Here's a great way to install the bark busters if your using them. Tap the bar 7/16" - 14 and machine an aluminum ( or any ) bolt to hold the end bolt of the buster. A VERY rugged set up instead of the wedge type the busters come with..

Aluminum bolt
great idea!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #48428
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,064
Hand Guard Mounts

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...&ref=Th_insert

These have been around for a long time. Notice the flat head bolt?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #48429
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post

Steve always knows about the cool stuff!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #48430
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,685
Motor Update:

I had been playing with the jetting on the CW installed KeiHin 41 and decided to try a smaller main jet, so I went to the local KTM dealership (Don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but their initials are PALMETTO MOTORSPORTS in Miami ) and the sales guy insisted on taping the jet to a plastic bag... Long story short, I THOUGHT I had all of the tape off when I installed the Jet....

You guessed it.... Fucking sliver of tape had the adhesive dissolve by gas and it floated around in the bowl and eventually clogged the jet while cruising about 80 down the highway... The bike started detonating so I pulled over and let it cool down then started rolling again with some intermittent detonation hammering. We finally decided to change the jet back to the previous one and that is when I found the piece of tape. I ended up riding the rest of the weekend but knew something wasn't right, so the motor was pulled (Thanks Sanjoh!!!!) and shipped off to the Wizard.

The crank bearings and stator were trashed. It's hard to say what if anything went first, but CW guesses the hammering from detonation may have taken it's toll on the bearings and may have gone first, or who knows, the stator could have come apart and munched the crank bearings???

SOOOOO....... We now have a new GB500 short stroke (as compared to stock "L" length) and inner and outer bearings on the way. This setup will be lighter than stock and should rev a little quicker (I hope it stays as buttery smooth with ZERO vibration like the last one... No reason it should not???) and the new CW Cloverleaf head, surprise cam, new piston and the rest of the CW tricks... Also a new high output stator will be bolted in and we will be off on a new adventure.

The same 41 Keihin pumper is going back in (CW mentioned he will bore it?)... We had discussed the Mikuni 45 Pumper, but the Keihin is just a better setup I believe, so we'll go with that.

I never did get it dialed perfect on the last motor but was damn close. Hopefully the jetting on the last motor was really close so we should be good with a small amount of tweaking the carb.
CW said a couple of weeks, so I'll post back up when she is on the road again!

And, just to add to the heated grip discussion, they are the way to go for sure! It's really nice to have the warmth in the rain or even a cool evening ride. The rheostat eliminating the heat sink looks like the way to go... Nice find on that!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #48431
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Motor Update:

I had been playing with the jetting on the CW installed KeiHin 41 and decided to try a smaller main jet, so I went to the local KTM dealership (Don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but their initials are PALMETTO MOTORSPORTS in Miami ) and the sales guy insisted on taping the jet to a plastic bag... Long story short, I THOUGHT I had all of the tape off when I installed the Jet....

You guessed it.... Fucking sliver of tape had the adhesive dissolve by gas and it floated around in the bowl and eventually clogged the jet while cruising about 80 down the highway... The bike started detonating so I pulled over and let it cool down then started rolling again with some intermittent detonation hammering. We finally decided to change the jet back to the previous one and that is when I found the piece of tape. I ended up riding the rest of the weekend but knew something wasn't right, so the motor was pulled (Thanks Sanjoh!!!!) and shipped off to the Wizard.

The crank bearings and stator were trashed. It's hard to say what if anything went first, but CW guesses the hammering from detonation may have taken it's toll on the bearings and may have gone first, or who knows, the stator could have come apart and munched the crank bearings???

SOOOOO....... We now have a new GB500 short stroke (as compared to stock "L" length) and inner and outer bearings on the way. This setup will be lighter than stock and should rev a little quicker (I hope it stays as buttery smooth with ZERO vibration like the last one... No reason it should not???) and the new CW Cloverleaf head, surprise cam, new piston and the rest of the CW tricks... Also a new high output stator will be bolted in and we will be off on a new adventure.

The same 41 Keihin pumper is going back in (CW mentioned he will bore it?)... We had discussed the Mikuni 45 Pumper, but the Keihin is just a better setup I believe, so we'll go with that.

I never did get it dialed perfect on the last motor but was damn close. Hopefully the jetting on the last motor was really close so we should be good with a small amount of tweaking the carb.
CW said a couple of weeks, so I'll post back up when she is on the road again!

And, just to add to the heated grip discussion, they are the way to go for sure! It's really nice to have the warmth in the rain or even a cool evening ride. The rheostat eliminating the heat sink looks like the way to go... Nice find on that!

Sorry to hear what happened... That sucks.

Is that the 75mm stroke crank??? It should be smoother then your last motor, pull rev's quick and hit hard with less "thump" felt. More of a "rush" then a "thump".

That's my favorite stroke length for the big XL's/XR's. You get to run a nice long rod and light piston. It will hit hard down low then just pull harder and harder. You'll be amazed at how it will rev out.

CW knows exactly what he's doing...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #48432
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Motor Update:

I am no engineer by any means, in fact I don't even work for the railroad, (humor me guys...) but isn't the plastic bag designed to have items put INTO the bag, not taped onto the outside of the bag?

Geeeeeez......

The cheapo PWM worked well. I removed the rheostat and knob and mounted those up front and then mounted the actual electronics board in my airbox. Used some lengths of wire to connect everything, and now have a nice efficient, compact heat controller to ward off the Wisconsin chill.
1983 XL100S
1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #48433
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post

These are great but they don't get tight in the bar end unless you tap the threads to just the right depth. The advantage my deal has is I machined the bolt hex to 7/8" round so this diameter butts up to the end of the bar. On the throttle end I cut an O ring grove on the 7/8" diameter to seal the throttle tube. This keeps dirt out in the event of one of my many falls.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #48434
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
These are great but they don't get tight in the bar end unless you tap the threads to just the right depth. The advantage my deal has is I machined the bolt hex to 7/8" round so this diameter butts up to the end of the bar. On the throttle end I cut an O ring grove on the 7/8" diameter to seal the throttle tube. This keeps dirt out in the event of one of my many falls.

Put some red loctite on them and they stay put.

btw, I haven't forgot...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #48435
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Question Couple tire questions

I had some brake pads I bought too soon for my xrl, thought it needed new pads, but when I looked closer it has more than half the pads left front and rear at a little over 12k miles. So I decided to return the pads for something my bike will need much sooner......a rear tire
I was going to pick up a D952, but this is a predominantly dirt shop, and the shop folks recommended I try a Pirelli XC Mid Hard, they said it had some of the best dirt grip, and would last the longest. I've never really heard about them, whats the forum feedback on this tire? And how does the front do on and off road?

Also I have an almost new front Dunlop 742 knobbie that came with the bike, but its pretty hard from years of sitting in storage.....whats the risk of running it? Hate to waste good rubber