User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #48436
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Cleaning Air Filter in Michoacan

So, I need to clean my airfilter. I don't remember what kind of filter oil I put on it last time. It's a UNI foam filter, and I just grabbed a can of generic foam filter oil from the local shop before I left and sprayed it on. I think it's petroleum based, but really, I have no idea. I've heard you can use carb cleaner to clean a foam filter, is this true?

I have No-Toil filter oil and filter cleaner with me down here; I've been toting it around this whole time. Will the no-toil filter cleaner clean a petroleum based filter oil out?

I was trying to find foam filter cleaner today, but I could only find a small Kawasaki shop and they didn't have any. Anyways, I would appreciate the advice, as explaining what I need down here is quite complicated with my limited vocacbulary.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #48437
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
So, I need to clean my airfilter. I don't remember what kind of filter oil I put on it last time. It's a UNI foam filter, and I just grabbed a can of generic foam filter oil from the local shop before I left and sprayed it on. I think it's petroleum based, but really, I have no idea. I've heard you can use carb cleaner to clean a foam filter, is this true?

I have No-Toil filter oil and filter cleaner with me down here; I've been toting it around this whole time. Will the no-toil filter cleaner clean a petroleum based filter oil out?

I was trying to find foam filter cleaner today, but I could only find a small Kawasaki shop and they didn't have any. Anyways, I would appreciate the advice, as explaining what I need down here is quite complicated with my limited vocacbulary.

NO-TOIL cleaner WILL NOT remove petroleum based filter oil,,,,,you need mineral sprits ........carb cleaner is nasty shit,and will eat the foam for lunch,you use that and you`ll be holding onto a red pile of gushy shit that used to be an air filter.........

B
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #48438
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_XR View Post
Damn man! Sounds like you need something like this http://www.fleetfarm.com/mff/detail/...FWlxQgodpnIAsA

I tried thinking of some ideas for you, but they are all pretty ghetto, i.e., rubber bands and shit. I think you need to tell your wife that your hands are important love making tools that need to be taken care of.
Thanks for your service Marine and good luck!
I'll tell my wife that right away! Or wait and maybe get some for christmas if I can hold out that long.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #48439
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I'll tell my wife that right away! Or wait and maybe get some for christmas if I can hold out that long.
You could also tell her that if you can't feel your hands or keep them warm you can't operate the bike safely and are much more prone to get in an accident....

-Barron
Old 11-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #48440
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,004
Quote:

Dish soap works. Just poor a good amount in warm water and let soak a bit. then rinse it in warm water if you can?
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #48441
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
NO-TOIL cleaner WILL NOT remove petroleum based filter oil,,,,,you need mineral sprits ........carb cleaner is nasty shit,and will eat the foam for lunch,you use that and you`ll be holding onto a red pile of gushy shit that used to be an air filter.........

B
Okay, so, I won't be using carb cleaner......that's why I come to this thread before I try anything....
Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #48442
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
Dish soap works. Just poor a good amount in warm water and let soak a bit. then rinse it in warm water if you can?
Okay, so dish soap will work? I'll pick some up tomorrow on my way AROUND mexico city and do it in the hotel room tommorrow.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #48443
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Okay, so dish soap will work? I'll pick some up tomorrow on my way AROUND mexico city and do it in the hotel room tommorrow.

Dawn dish soap works on ducks and other critters... Who knows???

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #48444
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,649
Air Filter Cleaning

Dish soap won't put a dent in the BelRey air filter oil I use. I would give the filter a first wash in gasoline if you don't have anything else and then the dish soap. Apply a liberal amount of oil and grease the seal surface.

This is something you should have practiced and prepared for before you left for this trip. How are you at spooning tires off and on? I'll bet you get real good the further you head south.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project

mcma111 screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 08:44 PM
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #48445
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Dawn dish soap works on ducks and other critters... Who knows???

Wow, that XR250 build of yours looks like quite a project! I like it! I like my 650, but it would be nice to have something lighter for trail riding.
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Old 11-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #48446
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
This is something you should have practiced and prepared for before you left for this trip. How are you at spooning tires off and on? I'll bet you get real good the further you head south.
There's lots of thing I SHOULD have done before I left, but I didn't. Haha! LIke welding gussets to reinforce the rear subframe. Or finding something other than 44lbs of ammo can for panniers. Or having the bike totally tore down and rebuilt. Or learning more spanish. Or figuring out how I'm going to get a job after all of this. But sometimes you just have to stop talking about it, and preparing for it, and disecting each and every detail, and go and do it. Plus, there's this awesome forum where you can go ask people for advice on stuff you are unsure of! And generally you get some pretty good info and a few laughs. Haha!

Take for instance my luggage rack. It broke in San Diego after 1,000 miles. I had it rewelded in about 20 minutes, then re-thought my load out, moved some stuff around, sent some stuff home, and threw some stuff away. Problem solved....for now. It may break again. But who cares! If it does, I'll find a "soldaduro" or whatever it's called and keep pushing. Half the fun of this kind of a trip is figuring stuff out along the way. That's why it's called an adventure.

Plus, I'm far from being the least mechanically savy person to ever take this trip. I can change a tire in about 2 or 3 hours. That's pretty damn good, right? Just kidding. I can do it in about 20-30 minutes. Maybe faster. Who knows. I wasn't sitting in my garage, timing myself on tire changes for the last few weeks before this trip. I was drinking beer, saying goodbye to my girlfriend, and trying to convince my parents that I wasn't going to die.

I'm not trying to be snarky about this, and thank you for your advice, but I'm just tired of people telling me how everything is going to fail or my bike is going to blow up, or how I won't make it, or how I'm underprepared. Who cares! At least I'm doing it. And I'm having fun doing it. Sure, I don't know what the hell I'm doing half the time, and I generally make an ass of myself asking stupid questions about a bike that I've barely ridden, but yesterday I had a priest bless my bike with holy water (seriously), rode like a bat out of hell through the most dangerous state in Mexico, added 100ml of oil to my bike, and made friends with a Mexican Cop on a Sportster, and I'm still alive and riding, so I think everything is going to work out. Haha!

And seriously, no hard feelings. I just wanted to know what the best way to clean my air filter was.

So, I'll get off my soapbox now. Is the general opinion that dish detergent is the best way to go?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #48447
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Hey Ulyses....

What did you do with those deathwings, I mean, Trail Wings when you swapped the Avons on there?
Quote:
Old 11-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #48448
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Hey Ulyses....

What did you do with those deathwings, I mean, Trail Wings when you swapped the Avons on there?
I think I just left them in the garage. I really have no idea. Actually, I think I gave them to the motorcycle shop in my hometown. Talk to my bro, maybe he can find them for you...if he isn't too busy destroying my Harley and my truck....
Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #48449
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

I'll give him a ringy-ding and see if he knows...
Quote:
Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #48450
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit54016 View Post
My grip heaters were purchased from Aerostich and have worked well for a couple years now. They are the old fashioned Hi/Lo/Off switch style with the big resistor for the low setting. However, I got rid of the switch and resistor and added a PWM off fleabay such as this thread descibes:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rip+controller

It is a great mod because it eliminates the wasted energy and the heat caused by the resistor, plus you now have infinite heat control from 0 - 100%.
Saweet!! I'm good at electronics and can make these and use them for different applications, thanks for sharing this!
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote