Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #48496
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
The oil temp guage... is it needed, or is it more of a curiosity thing?

I mean, if oil temperature was something we had to worry about wouldn't honda have put on one there?

Not trying to start trouble, just an honest question.
If you ride your XR650L at high rpms for extended periods of time, especially during hot weather, you should be concerned about oil temperature. Your concern should increase if you have installed an aftermarket fuel tank, or ditched the stock air scoops.

A fellow inmate loaned me an XRs Only, dipstick thermometer; I don't think they are very acccurate, or very easy to read. Also, the lens fogs up, and these thermometers occasionally leak oil. For less than $20, I suggest you make a digital thermometer so you can monitor the bike's oil temperature.

I purchased an aluminum, oil cap bolt on eBay from the following vendor; it was $12.95, delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OIL-FILL-CAP...sories&vxp=mtr

After drilling a hole through the aluminum bolt, I inserted a Harbor Freight, digital thermometer.

This dipstick thermometer is very accurate, and it does not leak oil. It costs less than $20, and is very easy to fabricate. In addition, it is very easy to read. If this digital thermometer ever fails, you can easily find an inexpensive replacement at any Harbor Freight store. I fabricated this thermometer to compare oil temperatures between the oil reservoir and the temperature probe location for my TTO Temperature Gauge.

The Harbor Freight digital thermometer is frequently on sale, and accurately measures temperatures to one-tenth of a degree Fahrenheit.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #48497
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
SPUD YOU ROCK, thats what i am trying to do...less the oil cooler
thanks again
SPUD JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO THE INMATES.
John
You're welcome, John. Thank you for you kind words.

If you search around you can find the Trail Tech TTO gauge for less than $40, delivered. Just make sure you get the gauge with the 10mm cylinder head bolt included.

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...-p/4492430.htm

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #48498
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirkswamper View Post
...I've already done a few oil/filter changes been using the spec'd Honda 10w-30 oil, I've been getting it online for about the price of Rotella at Walmart (from Ron Ayers)
one question I have is the Rotella synthetic?...
Rotella T6 is excellent motor oil. If you interested in learning more about engine oil for motorcycles, you might enjoy reading the following articles.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

I like Mobil DelVac 15W/40 motor oil. I stocked up this summer for $8/gallon when Exxon/Mobil offered a $5 rebate per gallon. Exxon/Mobil frequently offers this rebate in the spring and/or fall of the year; keep your eyes open for this bargain.

Spud
Old 11-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #48499
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:

I mean, if oil temperature was something we had to worry about wouldn't honda have put on one there?

It is not necessarily needed. I rode airhead dirtbikes for years without a temp gauge, but most times rode for a while and then took a break. Now having a temp gauge tells me when the bike needs a break. If you ride much slow single track in warm weather, you will be surprised how HOT these bikes get. They are also known for dropping valve seats, which is typically associated with getting the top end too hot. All of this and the fact that running for miles at high temps turns your oil into thin, black spittle makes having a way to monitor your engine temps a worthwhile venture.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #48500
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:

If you ride in hot weather, and/or ride hard it is a good idea to monitor you engine temperature. The easiest way to do that on this bike is to monitor oil temperature. Just because Honda didn't put one on doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. Honda gambles that any damage caused by high oil temps wont show up until the bike is out of warranty. It's a Gamble Honda almost always wins.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #48501
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,212
Great, now you guys are gonna get me all paranoid about my oil and its temperature.

Now I'm going to spend a load of time looking at special oil blends and wade into that pit of black magic, then I'll probably look into oil coolers and improvised air scoops for the motor.

So I've got three choices:

1. Forget it all and just keep riding.
2. Spend a bunch more time/money on upgrades and mods

3. Sell it, buy a liquid cooled bike.

Bummer.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #48502
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Great, now you guys are gonna get me all paranoid about my oil and its temperature.

Now I'm going to spend a load of time looking at special oil blends and wade into that pit of black magic, then I'll probably look into oil coolers and improvised air scoops for the motor.

Bummer.

If you buy the liquid cooled bike you'll still be worried about temp....

An oil cooler is a mod that protects your investment. Money well spent.

If you just ride it get a gauge(they're cheap) so you know when it's time for a cool down.

Big fin heads are cool too!!!

MentalGuru screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 12:47 PM
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #48503
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,513

Bummer.[/QUOTE]

My 2 cents
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #48504
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,866
Door # 1

Ignorance is bliss.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #48505
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:

Bummer.
Water cooled bikes are not the answer. They have such a small coolant capacity, that they end up boiling off their most or all of their coolant when the going gets tough. Then you get to pee in your radiator
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #48506
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
If you ride your XR650L at high rpms for extended periods of time, especially during hot weather, you should be concerned about oil temperature. Your concern should increase if you have installed an aftermarket fuel tank, or ditched the stock air scoops.

A fellow inmate loaned me an XRs Only, dipstick thermometer; I don't think they are very acccurate, or very easy to read. Also, the lens fogs up, and these thermometers occasionally leak oil. For less than $20, I suggest you make a digital thermometer so you can monitor the bike's oil temperature.

I purchased an aluminum, oil cap bolt on eBay from the following vendor; it was $12.95, delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OIL-FILL-CAP...sories&vxp=mtr

After drilling a hole through the aluminum bolt, I inserted a Harbor Freight, digital thermometer.

This dipstick thermometer is very accurate, and it does not leak oil. It costs less than $20, and is very easy to fabricate. In addition, it is very easy to read. If this digital thermometer ever fails, you can easily find an inexpensive replacement at any Harbor Freight store. I fabricated this thermometer to compare oil temperatures between the oil reservoir and the temperature probe location for my TTO Temperature Gauge.

The Harbor Freight digital thermometer is frequently on sale, and accurately measures temperatures to one-tenth of a degree Fahrenheit.

Spud

Spud

Why the diff in temps, I get that as well

Regards
Rum is the bad boy of booze. The pirates of the Caribbean weren't drinking vodka. The British navy wasn't run on "amaretto, sodomy and the lash." The smugglers who risked death to bring in illegal alcohol to the thirsty citizens of the U.S. during Prohibition weren't called "spritzer runners."
XR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #48507
Idaho_XR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Water cooled bikes are not the answer. They have such a small coolant capacity, that they end up boiling off their most or all of their coolant when the going gets tough. Then you get to pee in your radiator

Then you can enjoy the smell of your own burnt pee for the rest of your ride.
Idaho_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #48508
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirkswamper View Post

Another new job has a commute of about 40 miles each way mostly slab at 65mph+
is anyone riding the 650l daily under these conditions?
I'm looking for ideas for tires (I still want some dirt light off road capability), wind screen,
eventually an oil cooler either one from Sutton Cycle works or the Van Pelt one if it is still being made.

Anyway I'm just looking for ideas, my other option is to look for a more street oriented ride like an old Suzuki bandit, Kawi Concours, etc, pm me if you like

thanks all.......

IMO, If I still had my old 50 mile commute, each way, almost all highway/interstate, I'd be looking into an older Connie or a Vee/Wee Strom. All great bikes with only a few things you need to correct to make them almost as bullet proof as the XRL. Low mileage units can be found for very reasonable prices and they will all go 100,000 miles plus with proper maintenance.
Riding that long each day you'll want something comfortable to ride in the heat, cold, rain, snow(). The XRL, even with an aftermarket seat, wind screen, etc., is not anywhere near the ideal bike for "daily" long distance highway/interstate commuting...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #48509
Broken Wings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
2013 XR650L Last Year?

Does anyone else think the 2013 XR650L will be its last year in production?

I'm thinking about buying a new one. I'm currently riding a 2001 KLR and it's been a pretty good bike I'm just tired of it.

I guess they came out in 1993 and have stood the test of time.

I stopped at the Honda dealer the other day and sat on one. It seems to fit me pretty well...
Old 11-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #48510
Idaho_XR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wings View Post
Does anyone else think the 2013 XR650L will be its last year in production?

I'm thinking about buying a new one. I'm currently riding a 2001 KLR and it's been a pretty good bike I'm just tired of it.

I guess they came out in 1993 and have stood the test of time.

I stopped at the Honda dealer the other day and sat on one. It seems to fit me pretty well...
I think it depends on how many guys just like you keep buying them. I hope they stick around for a few more years, so the aftermarket support stays good. I also think that the XRL and the KLR prove that the latest/greatest technology is not always worth the price or frustration.
Idaho_XR is offline   Reply With Quote