Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #48571
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
I would say good on the oil & oil the chain & ride!!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #48572
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,994
I agree with TOM. If you have a spare chain with you. Then go ahead and keep riding. Doesn't matter if it fails you have a spare with you.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #48573
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
I agree with TOM. If you have a spare chain with you. Then go ahead and keep riding. Doesn't matter if it fails you have a spare with you.
Cool! Thanks! Is there any danger of this thing just snapping off while I'm riding down the road at 60mph and causing some huge catastrophe? The missing o-rings are relatively recent; probably within the last 500 miles.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #48574
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Cool! Thanks! Is there any danger of this thing just snapping off while I'm riding down the road at 60mph and causing some huge catastrophe? The missing o-rings are relatively recent; probably within the last 500 miles.
When the o-ring is gone, so is the grease sealed inside. Non o-ring chains go a loooong way before they fail. I don't think it will fail catastrophically, but will need to be lubed.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #48575
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Gentlemen... The Brown truck delivered my parts to me this afternoon(it's a beautiful thing) and I am installing my Western Power Sports Universal Tail Light. The running light comes on but the brake light will not. I've checked the brake switch and it ohms out as designed. So far nothing with the "Hell Bitch" has been easy. What am I missing?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #48576
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I just finished up another video of a ride from last Friday. Local guys (and gal).
Boy, Red, you really are a Pig Wrangler. I am tired just watching the video. Between dodging the widow makers and keeping up with the smaller guys, I would say that you deserved that beer at the end of the day. No dust, little mud, clear skies, nice ride. Well done, and thanks for sharing.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #48577
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Boy, Red, you really are a Pig Wrangler. I am tired just watching the video. Between dodging the widow makers and keeping up with the smaller guys, I would say that you deserved that beer at the end of the day. No dust, little mud, clear skies, nice ride. Well done, and thanks for sharing.
I'm not gonna lie... legs and shoulders were a tad sore on Saturday
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #48578
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
I am installing my Western Power Sports Universal Tail Light. The running light comes on but the brake light will not. I've checked the brake switch and it ohms out as designed. What am I missing?
I too would like to see if anyone has an answer for this and/or has experienced this with the WPS tail light. I'm having the same issue (running tail light with no brake light)... The previous owner put the WPS light on and also left me a real cluster-f*** of rear wiring. I'm chalking up the tail light malfunction to the general mess of wiring but if other folks are having the same issue maybe there's more to it than a wiring mess. I'm planning to attack the wiring issue later this week after a rear turn signal I ordered arrives.

Anyone have schematics/mapping showing the correct pairing of wire colors? It is only 3 wires so trial and error won't take long if no one has an answer handy.

Thanks...
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #48579
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
Gentlemen... The Brown truck delivered my parts to me this afternoon(it's a beautiful thing) and I am installing my Western Power Sports Universal Tail Light. The running light comes on but the brake light will not. I've checked the brake switch and it ohms out as designed. So far nothing with the "Hell Bitch" has been easy. What am I missing?

You have your and the lights wires crossed. You need to open the light and see which wire goes where. Your looking for the ground and then the two that go to either side of the bulb holder (running and brake element). You can verify this just by trying different combinations at the battery.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #48580
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,287
Hey MY6 and absoluteclint,

When you are only getting your running light to light but no brake light have you tried hooking up the brake light wire to the running light to see if it will light?

You could have the ground confused with one of the power wires, it's odd how things will "kinda" work on these bikes. If you guys pm me your email addresses I'll send you a good wiring diagram. FWIW, you could take two pieces of wire and run them from the plug in the middle of the bike to test the lights individually to figure out if there is an issue with the wiring between the plug and the light- That's how I fixed mine.

-Barron
Old 11-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #48581
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I just finished up another video of a ride from last Friday. Local guys (and gal).

Now that's my idea of fun!

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #48582
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
I too would like to see if anyone has an answer for this and/or has experienced this with the WPS tail light. I'm having the same issue (running tail light with no brake light)... The previous owner put the WPS light on and also left me a real cluster-f*** of rear wiring. I'm chalking up the tail light malfunction to the general mess of wiring but if other folks are having the same issue maybe there's more to it than a wiring mess. I'm planning to attack the wiring issue later this week after a rear turn signal I ordered arrives.

Anyone have schematics/mapping showing the correct pairing of wire colors? It is only 3 wires so trial and error won't take long if no one has an answer handy.

Thanks...
There is one out there but whoever sends it to you might get banned for a few days (or weeks) for copywrite issues.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #48583
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post

When you are only getting your running light to light but no brake light have you tried hooking up the brake light wire to the running light to see if it will light?

You could have the ground confused with one of the power wires, it's odd how things will "kinda" work on these bikes. If you guys pm me your email addresses I'll send you a good wiring diagram. FWIW, you could take two pieces of wire and run them from the plug in the middle of the bike to test the lights individually to figure out if there is an issue with the wiring between the plug and the light- That's how I fixed mine.

-Barron
PM Sent
Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #48584
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
There is one out there but whoever sends it to you might get banned for a few days (or weeks) for copywrite issues.
Wiring diagram is PD. if it hasn't been linked by the time I get to the hotel ill set it up.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #48585
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post

-Barron
Thanks Barron and Steve... Good advice. I'm going to tackle this wiring piece later in the week... I'll let you know how it goes. I should take a picture of the mess I have to work with... Looks like a little bird nest of wiring and electrical tape coming out of the battery box! Guess there's no better way to learn than just diving on in there (that's what she said)!

Barron... I'm sending you my email address... PM sent... Thanks
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote