Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #48601
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
It's Moose Hunting Season in Idaho. I don't have a Moose tag, which is undoubtedly the reason why I saw these two bull moose during a recent ride.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 04:31 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #48602
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Took a little trip down to the lower Smokies and north Georgia. It was cold in the mornings but perfect later in the day. We even saw snow above 4000'. New motor performed flawlessly.

John
Old 11-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #48603
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

Spud
Hey Spud... Thanks for the wiring schematics... That is a great resource. I'm going to print it in color and laminate it today... it'll be a permanent fixture in the XRL garage-library!

Also... That's good looking XRL and looks like a good trip. Quick question... It looks like you have Manracks "SD rack." I'm debating between getting the SD or the Rubicon. I'm wondering if you ever notice the SD's side bars getting in your way, rubbing your legs, etc? Ever ride 2-up with that rack... same question... bars bother the passenger? With those extra braces/bars the SD rack looks like it would support alot more weight than the Rubicon so I'd like to go that route but not at the cost of being bothersome to me or a passenger (my wife).

Thanks...
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #48604
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Steve is correct. It's wired incorrectly. Very easy fix.
Don't I wish! I have the schematics and I have tried every possible wiring configuration for the three wires to no avail with the exception of putting hot to ground(I've found that's usually not a good thing). I can get each filament to come on separately and the brake switch IS functional so that should rule that out.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #48605
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
Don't I wish! I have the schematics and I have tried every possible wiring configuration for the three wires to no avail with the exception of putting hot to ground(I've found that's usually not a good thing). I can get each filament to come on separately and the brake switch IS functional so that should rule that out.

No time to continue with this as I'm heading to work. I will reply in about an hour.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #48606
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
It's Moose Hunting Season in Idaho. I don't have a Moose tag, which is undoubtedly the reason why I saw these two bull moose during a recent ride.

Spud
Great pictures Spud. The first one's a tittie sucker, but the second one is worthy of 185 grains of well placed attention.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #48607
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,566
Tail Light Wiring

The tail light has three wires going to it. But you know this. What you need to do is find the common/ground/neutral which is usually the wire soldered to the side of the bulb socket. The other two wires go to the bottom of the socket. One for the running light and the other is the brake (bright) side. All you have to do is take the socket out of the tail light assembly and LOOK at what wire goes where. IIRC the wires are RED, WHITE and BLACK and NO, I don't know which wire does what. And I'm not taking my XR600 apart to look.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #48608
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Dual Sporting in So Cal

Hey XR Badger, welcome to the clan. If you're anywhere near the OC, we'll need to do a ride some time. I just finished another epic adventure with my brother last weekend through Kern River area (ride report to follow). We've got some great places to ride that you'll only get to by one of these.

RZ Rob

RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #48609
XR BADGER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Hey XR Badger, welcome to the clan. If you're anywhere near the OC, we'll need to do a ride some time. I just finished another epic adventure with my brother last weekend through Kern River area (ride report to follow). We've got some great places to ride that you'll only get to by one of these.

RZ Rob

Hello RZRob,and thanks for the welcome. I will definitely look you up when I get a chance to get down to the OC. Right now I am up in the pumpkin patch Calabasas. Once I get a few more miles on the pig, seems I'm destine for the swine having moved from a hog to a pig, and get a few modes done, I will certainly be looking for people and places to ride with. It certainly looks like you have some nice riding there and look forward to putting some miles in down there. Thanks again!
XR BADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #48610
RangerEd
n00b

Oddometer: 4
My 2012 XR650L

Anyway, here is my 2012 XR650L.Ö. After 1600mi, I think Iíve got the setup shook out and setup the way I want it. Disclaimer: It is setup the way I want it. Iím 6í3Ē 215lbs.

Here is a list of what Iíve done so far:
X Jet kit (for stock carb that had Daves mods)
X Foam Air Filter
X Smog block off
X FMF Q4 Pipe
X FMF PowerBomb header
X 14 tooth front sprocket (have 13 tooth for tight trails and 15 tooth for those high speed rides)
X Rich's custom seat
X Short fuel tank vent
X Pro Moto billet rear rack
X Keihin FCR41 carburetor
X Vapor computer w/dashboard
X Adjust rear brake down (for comfort)
X Aluminum skid plate
X 5.8 gal Acerbis tank
X Custom made saddlebags w/ huge brake/turn LEDs (note how they mount on rear footpegs)
X PowerMadd Riser after ProTaper riser didnít do the job for me. (Ergonomics were wrong)
X CR High ProTaper
X Cycra Pro Bend Bark Busters & Guards
X IMS Wide foot pegs
X Cee Baileys Low Profile Tinted Windshield
X LED tail light
X MT21 tires F&R
Plus lots of little things and details no one will ever knowÖ.such as, I cut out the side number plate to make accessing and cleaning the air filter easier while the saddlebags are on. Still have the stock seat for trail riding. Reshaped the stock exhaust heat shield to fit over the FMF PowerBomb headerÖdetail is how itís mounted with factory Honda hardware ;)

Here is what I plan on doing soon (winter is coming after all):
Fork and shock job
Lower front fork guards (Carbon Fiber)
Swing arm guards (just heavy stickers)
12v Accessory Plug
Ram mount for Garmin GPS (I havenít decided which one. Iím leaning towards TouraTech)
Zumo 660
License plate lock box
Baja Designs 8" headlight (Iím still weighing the pros and cons. I like the Hi/Low)
Upside down forks (Iím not sold completely on this one?)
Scotts Stabilizer

YES, it runs great! I find myself giggling in my helmet.

RangerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #48611
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,647
Rangered

Good idea on the sheet metal from frame to front of boxes.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #48612
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,998
RangerED. You went mod crazy. I know what you mean about the riser handle bar set up you have. The xrl Is known to have very low handlebar. I have 3 1/2 rise and cr high bend bars. I am only 5 '10' and this just barely fits me. You might want to look into kx high bend or atv high bend bars. Your bike looks good.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #48613
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
RangerEd, that seat is rediculous! Very nice. Any details on that?

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #48614
RangerEd
n00b

Oddometer: 4
It's a Rich's seat. One of the best purchases for comfort. I've had XRs my whole life and don't know why I didnt do it sooner. Each seat is custom made to each specific rider. http://www.richscustomseats.com/
RangerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #48615
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
The tail light has three wires going to it. But you know this. What you need to do is find the common/ground/neutral which is usually the wire soldered to the side of the bulb socket. The other two wires go to the bottom of the socket. One for the running light and the other is the brake (bright) side. All you have to do is take the socket out of the tail light assembly and LOOK at what wire goes where. IIRC the wires are RED, WHITE and BLACK and NO, I don't know which wire does what. And I'm not taking my XR600 apart to look.
Steve...On the socket Solid Black is ground, Red comes out of one side of the socket and black/white stripe comes out of the other. I have black to solid green on the bike(ground) that's a no brainer, and switching the other two only makes either filament in the bulb come on but no brake light either way. It's not rocket science and the brake switch does work as per my meter. What a hell am I missing?