Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #48616
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,661
Using your tester check the harness wires for the tail light and activate the brake switch. You should get running voltage and brake voltage with the brake on. If this works it sounds like your tail light has a fault.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #48617
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,172
If you have a continuity tester on your tester, as Steve suggests, test the bulb. Ground to either pole will give you a zero reading. Or very close to zero anyway.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #48618
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I'l check it as soon as I get home. Thanks Steve.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #48619
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
RangerEd, that seat is rediculous! Very nice. Any details on that?

DITTO....I'd like to know more about your seat also.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #48620
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Great pictures Spud. The first one's a tittie sucker, but the second one is worthy of 185 grains of well placed attention.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #48621
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEd View Post
Anyway, here is my 2012 XR650L.Ö. After 1600mi, I think Iíve got the setup shook out and setup the way I want it. Disclaimer: It is setup the way I want it. Iím 6í3Ē 215lbs.

Here is a list of what Iíve done so far:
X Jet kit (for stock carb that had Daves mods)
X Foam Air Filter
X Smog block off
X FMF Q4 Pipe
X FMF PowerBomb header
X 14 tooth front sprocket (have 13 tooth for tight trails and 15 tooth for those high speed rides)
X Rich's custom seat
X Short fuel tank vent
X Pro Moto billet rear rack
X Keihin FCR41 carburetor
X Vapor computer w/dashboard
X Adjust rear brake down (for comfort)
X Aluminum skid plate
X 5.8 gal Acerbis tank
X Custom made saddlebags w/ huge brake/turn LEDs (note how they mount on rear footpegs)
X PowerMadd Riser after ProTaper riser didnít do the job for me. (Ergonomics were wrong)
X CR High ProTaper
X Cycra Pro Bend Bark Busters & Guards
X IMS Wide foot pegs
X Cee Baileys Low Profile Tinted Windshield
X LED tail light
X MT21 tires F&R
Plus lots of little things and details no one will ever knowÖ.such as, I cut out the side number plate to make accessing and cleaning the air filter easier while the saddlebags are on. Still have the stock seat for trail riding. Reshaped the stock exhaust heat shield to fit over the FMF PowerBomb headerÖdetail is how itís mounted with factory Honda hardware ;)

Here is what I plan on doing soon (winter is coming after all):
Fork and shock job
Lower front fork guards (Carbon Fiber)
Swing arm guards (just heavy stickers)
12v Accessory Plug
Ram mount for Garmin GPS (I havenít decided which one. Iím leaning towards TouraTech)
Zumo 660
License plate lock box
Baja Designs 8" headlight (Iím still weighing the pros and cons. I like the Hi/Low)
Upside down forks (Iím not sold completely on this one?)
Scotts Stabilizer

YES, it runs great! I find myself giggling in my helmet.

I like it. Well done.

That seat looks comfy.

I would think a XR650R fork or a CRF fork swap would be a nice upgrade.

Check out a Cyclops 7" headlight. It's DOT/SAE approved with high and low beams. http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...products&id=94

Here's just a few thoughts.

A shark fin would protect the rear rotor nicely. Toss in a caliper guard and some stainless lines to round it out nicely

A sweet but involved swap would be switching to NX/FMX650 2nd and 5th gears. Second gear closes the gap between first and second gear. Fifth gear has a taller gear ratio. This makes a nice wide ratio trans so you won't need to switch sprockets as often. You'll only need to carry two sprockets. Too bad fifth gear has to come from over seas...

That's all I have to say about that.
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #48622
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
I'l check it as soon as I get home. Thanks Steve.

Hey man, try checking it right at the plug in the middle of the bike. If somebody f'd with the harness you don't know what they might have done... for example they may have only had green wire to extend the power for the tail light... something like this....

-Barron
Old 11-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #48623
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Barron...That makes me hungry for spaghetti tonight. Being at least the third owner, I have found a few ""questionable" field modifications on my scoot. If I get the time to fiddle with it tonight I will. Got a little bit going on tonight plus watching the election results. Thanks Guys...
Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #48624
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Took a little trip down to the lower Smokies and north Georgia. It was cold in the mornings but perfect later in the day. We even saw snow above 4000'. New motor performed flawlessly.

John

Nice! Just did a couple days in Arkansas myself in perfect fall colors.

Quote:
.[/IMG]
I'd like to see the ginormous tail lights, just noticed the bottle in the one pic of your pannier braces, yet more storage!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #48625
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I don't wear gloves when oiling my air filters. Cleaning the No-Toil filter oil from you hands is very easy when you use the proper technique. First, lather you hands with regular soap and water. Then sprinkle a very small amount of the No-Toil Cleaner/Oxi-Clean onto your hands. Rub the Oxi-Clean into your hands until it starts to dissolve, then rinse your hands clean.

I prefer No-Toil Evolution Filter Oil over petroleum based filter oils for the following reasons.

1) Cleaning the No-Toil filter oil is very quick and easy. Make a solution consisting of 2 ounces of No-Toil Cleaner/Oxi-Clean in a gallon of warm water, and agitate the air filter in the solution. In two minutes the air filter is completely clean, and so are you hands. If you wish, you can clean your air filters in the kitchen sink.

2) Cleaning the No-Toil filter oil is also non-toxic. You don't need to use any harsh solvents, and you can pour the dirty water down the sink, commode, bathtub, or pour it out on the ground.

3) Cleaning the No-Toil filter oil is also inexpensive. If you use Oxi-Clean/sodium percarbonate, you can clean your air filter for 16 cents, or less.

4) Oiling an air filter with No-Toil Evolution is much easier than oiling an air filter with a petroleum filter oil. The water based, Evolution filter oil quickly distributes into the foam, and the excess oil is easily squeezed out of the filter, with very little waste. You can oil your air filter in your motel room, and you can easily clean your hands using the technique I stated above, without any need for smelly, harsh, inflammable solvents.

5) The No-Toil filter oil is very tacky, and stops all the dirt. However, No-Toil is less "goopy" than petroleum filter oils. Therefore, I get better air flow through my Uni air filters since I switched to No-Toil Evolution Filter Oil.

6) Since oiling the air filters, cleaning your hands, and cleaning the air filters is so easy, convenient, and inexpensive, I no longer dread the job. Therefore, I clean my air filters more frequently, and my engine performs better because of it.

However, be forewarned, the water based, Evolution filter oil takes longer to dry than the red, No-Toil filter oil. Alcohol evaporates much faster than water, so you need to wait longer for the Evolution filter oil to become tacky.

Spud
Spud, thanks again! I'm sure that I'll be cleaning it again in a hotel room in a couple of weeks.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #48626
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Anyway, here is my 2012 XR650L.Ö. After 1600mi, I think Iíve got the setup shook out and setup the way I want it. Disclaimer: It is setup the way I want it. Iím 6í3Ē 215lbs.

Here is a list of what Iíve done so far:
X Jet kit (for stock carb that had Daves mods)
X Foam Air Filter
X Smog block off
X FMF Q4 Pipe
X FMF PowerBomb header
X 14 tooth front sprocket (have 13 tooth for tight trails and 15 tooth for those high speed rides)
X Rich's custom seat
X Short fuel tank vent
X Pro Moto billet rear rack
X Keihin FCR41 carburetor
X Vapor computer w/dashboard
X Adjust rear brake down (for comfort)
X Aluminum skid plate
X 5.8 gal Acerbis tank
X Custom made saddlebags w/ huge brake/turn LEDs (note how they mount on rear footpegs)
X PowerMadd Riser after ProTaper riser didnít do the job for me. (Ergonomics were wrong)
X CR High ProTaper
X Cycra Pro Bend Bark Busters & Guards
X IMS Wide foot pegs
X Cee Baileys Low Profile Tinted Windshield
X LED tail light
X MT21 tires F&R
Plus lots of little things and details no one will ever knowÖ.such as, I cut out the side number plate to make accessing and cleaning the air filter easier while the saddlebags are on. Still have the stock seat for trail riding. Reshaped the stock exhaust heat shield to fit over the FMF PowerBomb headerÖdetail is how itís mounted with factory Honda hardware ;)

Here is what I plan on doing soon (winter is coming after all):
Fork and shock job
Lower front fork guards (Carbon Fiber)
Swing arm guards (just heavy stickers)
12v Accessory Plug
Ram mount for Garmin GPS (I havenít decided which one. Iím leaning towards TouraTech)
Zumo 660
License plate lock box
Baja Designs 8" headlight (Iím still weighing the pros and cons. I like the Hi/Low)
Upside down forks (Iím not sold completely on this one?)
Scotts Stabilizer

YES, it runs great! I find myself giggling in my helmet.

looks as if you live here in the pnw? nice bike. i went drazy on mine also, i have only had mine since april, i have the cyclops light with the hid kit and all the add on goodies daryl sold for it.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #48627
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I had one of the Pirelli XCMH, great handling on and off road and good traction on and off road. Good ride.The front would head shake at around 7o MPH or so. POOR wear, I got like 2500 miles using then in a 80 on road 20 off road.

As to the old rubber, I have twenty something year old Metzlers on my Husky 400 XCE. If they are not cracked, run em!
Thanks for the great feedback Fritz.....I'm glad the shop didn't steer me wrong on the Pirelli XCMH. One thing I noticed tho is its a big-ass tire.....I'm running a Sedona 887IT 120/90/18 now (good tire for the money btw), and even tho the XCMH is only a 120/100/18, its physically wider as well as taller.....its a big, meaty, aggressive looking tire....but still a little lighter than the Sedona.................I can't wait for the Sedona to wear out

Its strange, I have a 50% gone 120/90/18 Dunlop MX71 in the garage that also came with my bike, and its WAY wider and WAY shorter than both the XCMH 120/100/18 and the Sedona 120/90/18.....its so wide in fact I'd have to pull my chain guard off to run it. I'm not sure why the same sizes vary so much between makers?
It sounds like I'll be skipping the XCMH for the front tho, headshake at cruising speeds is unacceptable, as is poor wear. I'll have to find something a little better from the sound of it.

And also thanks for the advice on the new, but hard from years of storage front knobbie. Its a 6 or so year old tire, but doesn't have any weathercracking whatsoever, looks great except for the fact that its hard as hell compared to a fresh one. I'll give it a go and see how it does, if I see any bad signs I'll pull it off pronto. If anything maybe it'll last a little longer .....I just don't want it shedding knobs on the street. I ride pretty conservative on the street tho since I run knobbies, so the hard factor shouldn't be an issue traction wise.
Maybe it'll soften up some as I wear some of the hard off the surface
Old 11-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #48628
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Laugh You want a whole new bike? Do these simple mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR BADGER View Post
Mcma111, thank you very much for the information, and foregoing any hazing. I will have the jets ordered tomorrow and begin the transformation later this week. Need to work on the avatar as well, and as my designation suggests, learn to spell nOOb. Again, thank you for the concise, pertinent and relevant advice with the pertinent footnotes/links. Many returns..humbly Badger

Thanks ReferJohn! Glad to be a new inmate. I'm sure I'm lookin like a 5150, but can't wait to get the bike dialed and get some miles in.
If you really want to see a dramatic improvement in the throttle response and power, do the full treatment..its not that hard...desmog it, pull the snorkel out of the airbox, rejet according to Dave's mods INCLUDING drilling the slide, stick in a uni or similiar filter, and either open up the stock exhaust, or for the best performance pick up a free-flowing slip-on....the DG is VERY nicely priced and has had lots of good feedback.
Drilling the slide will REALLY sharpen up the throttle response.....one of the better carb mods imo. My bike hits hard and fast with the slide drilled.....no delay like the stocker. Very nice for picking the front end up quick off-road when the need arises
Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #48629
ReferJohn
3RD Generation Rider

Oddometer: 434
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup... well said sierra thumper.
don't forget the XRR C/S sprocket and large fuel tank and MT21 in front & D606 in rear-------DONE
Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #48630
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Hey Spud... Thanks for the wiring schematics... That is a great resource. I'm going to print it in color and laminate it today... it'll be a permanent fixture in the XRL garage-library!

Also... That's good looking XRL and looks like a good trip. Quick question... It looks like you have Manracks "SD rack." I'm debating between getting the SD or the Rubicon. I'm wondering if you ever notice the SD's side bars getting in your way, rubbing your legs, etc? Ever ride 2-up with that rack... same question... bars bother the passenger? With those extra braces/bars the SD rack looks like it would support alot more weight than the Rubicon so I'd like to go that route but not at the cost of being bothersome to me or a passenger (my wife).

Thanks...
You're welcome, Clint. I highly recommend the Super Duty rack over the Rubicon rack. The Rubicon rack is designed for very light loads; I fractured mine.

I only ride solo; I have removed my bike's passenger pegs. The Super Duty rack never gets in my way; it's a winner for the solo rider. However, I don't know how a passenger might be affected by the Super Duty rack.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote