Spud...Did you overload that Rubi?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #48632
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
Spud...Did you overload that Rubi?
Yes, I did overload poor little Rubicon. You might find it interesting to read little Rubicon's saga, starting on page 1955 to page 1958 of this thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4834&page=1955

There once was a Rubicon rack,
Who boasted that he’d never crack.
He tempted his fate,
While loaded with weight,
And now he will never come back.

As I said before, I highly recommend the Super Duty rack; it has done a good job for me.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #48633
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReferJohn View Post
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup... well said sierra thumper.
don't forget the XRR C/S sprocket and large fuel tank and MT21 in front & D606 in rear-------DONE
Yep, those pretty much finish unleashing the beast within I'm running the XRR cs sprocket and IMS tank already myself
I love this bike.....
Old 11-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #48634
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Great pictures Spud. The first one's a tittie sucker, but the second one is worthy of 185 grains of well placed attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
Thanks, Red. Yes, the first moose was a youngster.

However, the second moose was a big bull!

I hear moose meat tastes like beef. That big bull is a lot of beef on the hoof!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #48635
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Question Going down to a 14 tooth front from a 15...what to expect?

I'm going down to a 14 tooth front XRR sprocket from a 15..I'm running the stock 45 rear...how big of a difference will I feel, and how much of my chain adjustment will I lose? I ride about 80% dirt....sometimes at 8000+ft up. I figured the 14 would give me a more usable 2nd gear off-road, but still let me comfortably cruise 65-70 (hopefully) on the highway.
I also hope I don't lose a huge chunk of chain adjustment room
Any feedback from you 14 front runners would be awesome
Old 11-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #48636
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I'm going down to a 14 tooth front XRR sprocket from a 15..I'm running the stock 45 rear...how big of a difference will I feel, and how much of my chain adjustment will I lose? I ride about 80% dirt....sometimes at 8000+ft up. I figured the 14 would give me a more usable 2nd gear off-road, but still let me comfortably cruise 65-70 (hopefully) on the highway.
I ran a similar, 15T/48T sprocket combination for a while. You will definitely get an increase in torque, without losing too much top speed. You won't lose much chain adjustment range by dropping one tooth on the C/S sprocket.

However, I much prefer the 14T/48T (13T/45T) sprocket combination. I don't enjoy riding at high speeds for extended periods of time, so I much prefer the greater torque which results from dropping 2 teeth on the C/S sprocket.

Spud
Old 11-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #48637
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Last weekend I installed four new items on my XR650L.

Tusk T-10 CR High Bend Handlebars
D-Flex Handguards with Spoilers
Pro Taper Pillow Top Grips
Tusk Grip Heater Kit

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...usk+handlebars
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...s%252Fspoilers
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...rip+heater+kit
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...llow+top+grips

I really like the Tusk T-10 handlebars; they are very similar in quality to the Pro Taper handlebars I installed on my 200cc trail bike. The D-Flex Handguards fit the T-10 handlebars very well, and I did not need to castrate my control levers.

The Tusk Grip Heater Kit works great, and I am very pleased with this purchase. I mounted the grip heater switch to the inside of my Baja Designs headlight shroud. I have installed the Pillow Top grips before, and they are superb.

The Tusk grip heaters kept my hands toasty warm all day long, even while riding on the summit of Big Southern Butte.

Here's a view from the summit looking northwest to Arco.

Arco is 23 aerial miles distant from the butte. You can see the Big Lost Range of mountains in the far background of the following photograph.

I can't believe I waited this long to install grip heaters! The Tusk grip heaters are the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Spud
Old 11-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #48638
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,003
Quote:
This is the set that I run. The bike will do 70 all day. You will loose 3 spots on the adjuster. In first gear that will climb almost anything. I have been using a 14 tooth sprocket for about 20,000 miles. The only time I use my 15 tooth sprocket is when am doing over 500 miles of slab touring.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #48639
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Took a little trip down to the lower Smokies and north Georgia. It was cold in the mornings but perfect later in the day. We even saw snow above 4000'. New motor performed flawlessly.

John
Great Pic!!

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #48640
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You're welcome, Clint. I highly recommend the Super Duty rack over the Rubicon rack. The Rubicon rack is designed for very light loads; I fractured mine.

I only ride solo; I have removed my bike's passenger pegs. The Super Duty rack never gets in my way; it's a winner for the solo rider. However, I don't know how a passenger might be affected by the Super Duty rack.

Spud

Wfe rides on mine with the superduty RotoPax rack..no probs...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #48641
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Took a little trip down to the lower Smokies and north Georgia. It was cold in the mornings but perfect later in the day. We even saw snow above 4000'. New motor performed flawlessly.

John
My neck of the wood,,,, sorta. Is that "Y" over on Tray Mountain?
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 AM   #48642
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

The Tusk grip heaters kept my hands toasty warm all day long, even while riding on the summit of Big Southern Butte.

Here's a view from the summit looking northwest to Arco.

Arco is 23 aerial miles distant from the butte. You can see the Big Lost Range of mountains in the far background of the following photograph.

I can't believe I waited this long to install grip heaters! The Tusk grip heaters are the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Spud

Miss that overlook
Old 11-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #48643
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Spud,
I see you drive around with 8 year old rubber hoses for brake lines.
Wouldn't it be a good time to go steel braided...!?!
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #48644
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post

Miss that overlook
Eastern OR has similar views and I miss them. Someday I'll have to get back there. You can't get that much wide open, high up on the east coast.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #48645
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
If you are riding 80% dirt and only need 65 to 70 mph from time to time then the 14T would work fine. In fact, in that situation I would echo Spud's recommendation of a 15/48 combo and have a 14 for when things get real rough in the dirt. The 14/48 combo is awesome for trial riding. It makes 1st like a granny low and you ride in 2nd and 3rd most the time. The 15/48 or 14/45 works good for faster dirt and lets you connect section of pavement at 65 to 70 pretty easy. But, I notice that my speedo is off about 5 mph at 65/70, meaning that if I want to stay up with traffic at 70 mph I need to run at about 75 mph indicated. The 14/45 gearing starts to feel like I'm ringing it out at 75 mph if I ride that for very long, long being more that 20 miles or so. 15/45 works ok in the dirt, but you do a lot of clutch work.