Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #49396
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey, Walter, a question for you on this thread.

I run the Gerbings G3 heated gloves (27W) directly from the battery, without a switch. (I did the Spud battery relocation, and the cable from the battery runs under my seat to the left side, just under where I sit.) The problem is this: Sometimes, when I connect the gloves to the Gerbings harness, the fuse blows. I think that the connector sparks, blowing the fuse.

Sure, I could connect the gloves to the harness in my jacket, then the harness in my jacket to the cable to the battery, all before I start the bike--but this is not practical, especially when I want to connect/disconnect the gloves while riding.

Any advice for a solution?? Thanks,

PD
What size fuse are you using? A 5A should be enough, but I wouldn't be afraid to run between a 7 and 10A. Otherwise you have an intermittent short. Are you sure you have the harness hooked to the battery correctly. The center connection in the plug should be the positive connection. If the outer connection is positive anytime the plug bumps the frame you will blow a fuse, Or you have a bit of bare wire someplace that is shorting to ground when the harness gets twisted just right.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #49397
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,111
Thanks flatfender. Your fab skills are higher than mine. I have seen rectangular LED headlights on the big trucks up here in Alaska. Trying to figure out where they get them. May fit the XR and give those a whirl. Trying to avoid big money. I am enfatuated with the Tiger 800 XC and wife said that XR must depart for the 800 XC to enter. She likes my Tiger 955i and will never let me sell the Sprint ST. So in the end I do have a pretty good wife.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #49398
GlockPointer
NachosRiflesAlchohol

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post
Hey guys,
Trying to do some mods on my 2008 XRL. Looking for some sturdy yet economical TREE guards.
Like the Highway Dirbike model but, have heard some others but, not sure where to look. Putting PROTAPER bars on & hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance
I found some generic ones on ebay that look exactly like the Acerbis but were ~35 bucks. I've tested them many times and they work well. Sorry I can't put a pic on this site.
GlockPointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #49399
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Thanks flatfender. Your fab skills are higher than mine. I have seen rectangular LED headlights on the big trucks up here in Alaska. Trying to figure out where they get them. May fit the XR and give those a whirl. Trying to avoid big money. I am enfatuated with the Tiger 800 XC and wife said that XR must depart for the 800 XC to enter. She likes my Tiger 955i and will never let me sell the Sprint ST. So in the end I do have a pretty good wife.
Here's some lights for cheap and low watts the XR-L can run without trouble.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674118

Or you could put an H4 HID bulb in you stock headlight
Old 11-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #49400
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by award900 View Post
Scored a pair of Excels on Craigs for 150! Nope, didnt even try to talk him down. They are off of a 650r. Sorry I know this has been covered before but, what do I need to do to mount these things?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
I have the 650R forks and a 650L front wheel so I imagine the 650R wheel will work on the 650R forks. Here's my thinking; first you will need the 650R caliper because the rotor is only 240mm and the 650L caliper will not line the pads to the rotor. The R/L axles are identical except the R axle is longer. I had to add the washer off the L rear axle to make the rotor and caliper line up correctly so I'm guessing you might have to play around with spacers or have one cut on a lathe.

The rear will be more difficult because the R uses a 20mm axle (versus 17mm) and the rotor is 240mm (versus 220mm)

And you cannot swap rims and hubs 32 versus 36 spokes.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #49401
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockPointer View Post
I found some generic ones on ebay that look exactly like the Acerbis but were ~35 bucks. I've tested them many times and they work well. Sorry I can't put a pic on this site.
i think glockpointer is talking about these... you can find them by searching "xr650l handguards" this one in particular is item # 380494508684.

2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #49402
stnick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
XRL Center stand anyone-Cigar Mike?

I'm seriously considering a center stand. I have tried to reach out to a vendor named Cigar Mike but I'm not getting any replies at all. What do you know about the stand? Do you know if this vendor is still active on this site?
Are there other sources of stands out there?
I appreciate your opinions.

Nick
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #49403
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfender View Post
I have the 650R forks and a 650L front wheel so I imagine the 650R wheel will work on the 650R forks. Here's my thinking; first you will need the 650R caliper because the rotor is only 240mm and the 650L caliper will not line the pads to the rotor. The R/L axles are identical except the R axle is longer. I had to add the washer off the L rear axle to make the rotor and caliper line up correctly so I'm guessing you might have to play around with spacers or have one cut on a lathe.

The rear will be more difficult because the R uses a 20mm axle (versus 17mm) and the rotor is 240mm (versus 220mm)

And you cannot swap rims and hubs 32 versus 36 spokes.
Rear hub you can make a sleeve OD 20mm and ID 17. With interference fit.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #49404
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
I'm seriously considering a center stand. I have tried to reach out to a vendor named Cigar Mike but I'm not getting any replies at all. What do you know about the stand? Do you know if this vendor is still active on this site?
Are there other sources of stands out there?
I appreciate your opinions.

Nick
he is Golfing,
its been 6 months since i talked to him , he was suppose to finish up on the hoglegs for us

jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #49405
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,111
Quote:
Here's some lights for cheap and low watts the XR-L can run without trouble.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674118

Or you could put an H4 HID bulb in you stock headlight

Sweet that page is now in my favorites to try myself.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #49406
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Hey fellas. There's been lots of great bikes and pictures and videos posted here I thought I'd post a few recent pics too.

This shows where I replaced my GPS with an analog tach. It's there mostly to help me from lugging the engine in 4th and 5th gear which is bad.

Here's another one where I'm mocking up some side skid frame stiffeners. Grid ceiling tie wire and masking tape work good for getting a visual on design. This is to protect the side and to strengthen the frame for a future rear rack.

And one from the front

I've done a lot to this bike in the last four years, everything about it I like. As long as I don't have to push it up a muddy hill with the back wheel spinning or pick it up all day I'd say it was a good day of riding!

flatfender, tell me more about your muffler? i see a down turned tail pipe, what is its size and did you remove the baffle from the end?
i picked up a second exhast to cut open and modify as the cycle wizard did/ wont reveal any more of these tricks, which i can understand but still gonna try it.
is it change the tone or quiet it at all? thanks
Old 11-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #49407
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
[QUOTE=mendoteach;20117803]
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
So, got to test out my heated grips today. Worked killer on the way out, about a 18 mile ride. Rode around the woods all day and went to ride home and noticed one wire had come off the throttle grip. Dang i said.
So one hand was warm and the other was cold. They do work great when they do work.
Guess i should be able to solder it back?

You can solder the wires back. I've done it and it held much better than the factory solder.

ya i looked at it this morn and will be an easy fix.
i forgot i down loaded the file forgot to look at it though.
funny is that i taped the left one and not the right one.
it will solder on easily, as a matter of fact if i had to replace them i would just solder on new grips and leave my wiring as i have it, if needed.
i am thinking a guy could add these under his seat cover to warm your bottom!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #49408
Malsa1
YA VAMONOS !!!

Oddometer: 9
Question $30 Power-steering cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinknlive View Post
My weekend project. I recently overheated and cracked the head of my 1995 XR650L. After the rebuild with an XR600 head and a 101mm JE piston (Thanks Steve!) I feel like I have a whole new bike. Love the snap!

However, I noticed my oil temps on even my short daily commute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rSq3Gp7E2A) tipping 250.

Being cash-poor and more than a little paranoid after the engine rebuild I thought a bit and came up with this. It seems to make a huge difference. On test rides and on my commute this morning oil temps sat comfortably at 170-180.

I may clean up the install after I ride it a bit more. Nice brackets n fittings and such. For now, it just needs to work. Small power-steering cooler ($30)

Is your 30 bucks power steereing cooler still working fine ? Where can I find one ?

Malsa1 screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 11:11 PM
Malsa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #49409
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Rear hub you can make a sleeve OD 20mm and ID 17. With interference fit.
Is that all that's needed? Do the rotors have the same bolt pattern? I found a page once that had all XR250-400-600-650 wheel interchangeablity. Wish I would have saved that.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #49410
flatfender
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Sweet that page is now in my favorites to try myself.
Those lights are 500 lumens each and only use 4 watts, and dirt cheap. Deal