ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #49501
purpledrake
No Pretensions
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle-ish
Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
excellent deal! you will be extremely pleased with these. plus they just look bad @ss in person on the bike.
Many thanks to 3GirlsDad and others for the notice about the deal on new handlebars. I called MotoSport yesterday, and ordered a set. (Note to all: The guys at MotoSport are very friendly and helpful.)

Question: In spite of explaining that you all ordered the 1 3/8" handlebars, my order came in for the 7/8" bars (still in the McGrath/Stewart package). Arrrgh. Advice? Too small? They have already shipped, so I will have to wait and see.

Any advice very welcomed.

PD
__________________
The Good Lord gave most of us 10 digits; mine are all thumbs.
purpledrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #49502
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer
 
sc-razor's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW Arkansas
Oddometer: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
this is a message to everybody to ride safe and to always stay alert out there both on and offroad. I was riding my dads XT225 to work one day (since my XR650L had been stolen from me about 2 weeks prior) and was driving down a 2 lane back road that has big houses with cow pastures on both sides, (speed limit on that road is 35 which is what i was doing)

when i came out of an S bend some kid in a 2010 camero traveling in the opposite lane abruptly cut his car RIGHT across my lane to pull into a driveway. there was absolutely nothing i could do but hit his car since it happened so quickly. it was practically a head on collision. anyway the bike is totaled; header smashed, massive hole punched right into the crank case, frame bent, forks snapped in 2 etc. and the front of the camero looked like hell.

ME on the other hand.... I suffered 3 cracked bones in my spinal column, (thank GOD the spinal cord wasn't affected or i wouldn't be riding again for the rest of my life) a dislocated shoulder, broke my arm, wrist, and thumb, my knee exploded, and broke my femur in half and am missing 3 inches from it. (part of the bone stuck out my thigh and apparently 3 inches of it is missing). nobody knew until i had surgery on it a few hours after the accident. I had to be air lifted from the accident and needed 8 units of blood to be kept alive. (the body only holds 12 units)

I was wearing a helmet, jeans, shoes, and gloves and if it wasnt for the helmet i would have been dead. there is a gash about 4 inches long going right across the top of the helmet where it had struck the pavement. thanks to that helmet I have no head trauma whatsoever! I also never lost conscious during the whole thing

Im doing alright now, having to wear braces on my spine and leg and wrist and use either a walker or wheelchair to get around my house. im having more surgery on my leg to have a bone graft of some kind on my femur where the 3 inches are missing from it and more surgery on my arm to have my iron brace and pins removed from my wrist and thumb. im recovering at home but in a shitload of pain, even though the docs got me on shitloads of Oxycontin.

this should inspire you guys to stay alert and ride as defensive as you can as this kinda shit can happen to anybody! I will confirm though that the instant I'm able to ride again, I will be back on a bike. (hopefully another XR!) and im also writing to confirm im alive and still kickin! anyways, keep on the lookout for dickheads on the road because there are alot of them out there!
Wow! Glad you're still with us! Hope everything goes well for ya from here on out.
__________________
2009 XR650L

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #49503
purpledrake
No Pretensions
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle-ish
Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Many thanks to 3GirlsDad and others for the notice about the deal on new handlebars. I called MotoSport yesterday, and ordered a set. (Note to all: The guys at MotoSport are very friendly and helpful.)

Question: In spite of explaining that you all ordered the 1 3/8" handlebars, my order came in for the 7/8" bars (still in the McGrath/Stewart package). Arrrgh. Advice? Too small? They have already shipped, so I will have to wait and see.

Any advice very welcomed.

PD
Update: I called MotoSport, and they patiently explained to me that the kit is for 7/8" mounts, and is indeed for a 1 3/8" handlebar (this is "the only size that they would ship"). I guess that I am good to go.

PD
__________________
The Good Lord gave most of us 10 digits; mine are all thumbs.
purpledrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #49504
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK
 
3girlsdad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Update: I called MotoSport, and they patiently explained to me that the kit is for 7/8" mounts, and is indeed for a 1 3/8" handlebar (this is "the only size that they would ship"). I guess that I am good to go.
yep, you are good to go.
__________________
2008 Honda CRF450X - plated
2007 KTM 450 XCW - a little sip of the kool-aid (gone)
2011 Beta 450 RR - plated (gone. had my sexy italian fling)
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #49505
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I
 
katbeanz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 7,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawidad View Post
sub:
Best wishes for a speedy and as pain free as possible recovery!
+1
__________________

katbeanz screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 06:14 PM
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #49506
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer
 
absoluteclint's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: North Carolina foothills
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
You can safely go 4 1/2 inches of sag with you on the bike on the shock unless your doing MX Depending on the riding you do I recommend the Acerbis 5.8 over the Clarke. I have had both.
Tom... Thanks for sharing that figure (4.5")... Always good to know stock facts/figures. I'll keep you all posted on what I end up doing with the suspension. I do not plan on riding MX so it sounds like I may be able to get by with simply adjusting the sag and saving some cash for other mods!

Why do you prefer the Acerbis over the Clarke? Is it the double petcock? Better fit or quality plastic? Larger size? I'm not decided on which tank to pursue yet so input in this dept is certainly appreciated. I'm only leaning towards the Clarke right now because I prefer the look of it and don't anticipate needing the extra fuel range provided by the Acerbis.

Thanks to everyone else who responded with opinions and experiences with suspension adjustment.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #49507
XR BADGER
Adventurer
 
XR BADGER's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: SO CAL
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Tom... Thanks for sharing that figure (4.5")... Always good to know stock facts/figures. I'll keep you all posted on what I end up doing with the suspension. I do not plan on riding MX so it sounds like I may be able to get by with simply adjusting the sag and saving some cash for other mods!

Why do you prefer the Acerbis over the Clarke? Is it the double petcock? Better fit or quality plastic? Larger size? I'm not decided on which tank to pursue yet so input in this dept is certainly appreciated. I'm only leaning towards the Clarke right now because I prefer the look of it and don't anticipate needing the extra fuel range provided by the Acerbis.

Thanks to everyone else who responded with opinions and experiences with suspension adjustment.
Hello absoluteclint, I just installed the Acerbis tank last weekend, and it is great. You really do not notice the large size once you are on the bike, you do have to be a little careful when it is full and you get off the bike. You feel the weight when it is full and you are not on it.. I have been running mine about 1/2 3/4 full around 3 gallons around town and no problems. I have not had the Clark so I cannot compare, just my.02. Cents.
__________________
2007 XR650L, Dave's carb mod's, XR'S only smog kit, XR'S only skid plate, Acerbis 5.8 tank, CRF 450 front fender...
XR BADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #49508
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gone14s's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Sac. Ca
Oddometer: 107
I have been reading some of the post about the oil coolers. Sounds like a good mod to do. I guess I'm not seeing it but, where are you folks taping into the oil feed system to run the oil cooler??

Kurt
95 XR650l
__________________
Def. of man:
We spend 9 months trying to get out, and the rest of our lives trying to get back in.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #49509
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond
 
MentalGuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Mental Ward
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
I have been reading some of the post about the oil coolers. Sounds like a good mod to do. I guess I'm not seeing it but, where are you folks taping into the oil feed system to run the oil cooler??

Kurt
95 XR650l
At the lines that enter the frame oil tank.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #49510
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker
 
Schultz!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Warren Michigan
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
I have been reading some of the post about the oil coolers. Sounds like a good mod to do. I guess I'm not seeing it but, where are you folks taping into the oil feed system to run the oil cooler??

Kurt
95 XR650l

Check out the pics may give a better idea of which line to splice into.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449547

Also the best "bolt on" solution but he seems to be stalled on production.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652313
__________________
lots of dismantled parts to a 2007 XR650L
Schultz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #49511
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
...So, how long have you owned stock in "No-Toil"?

j/k!

I may have to order some when I run out of Uni oil & cleaner.


I want to warn everyone, don't use the original, red, No-Toil filter oil with Uni air filters. The red, No-Toil filter oil has an alcohol carrier which will destroy the glue seams in the Uni air filter. I recommend the new, green, No-Toil Evolution filter oil, which has a water carrier. The Evolution filter oil is safe for use with all foam air filters.

You can buy a Super-Flo kit from No-Toil for the XR650L. This kit includes a filter cage with a flame resistant, No-Toil air filter. However, the excellent Uni air filters also come with a filter cage, and are less expensive than the No-Toil Super-Flo kit. Therefore, I prefer the Uni air filters for the XR650L. However, be sure only to use the No-Toil Evolution filter oil with the Uni air filters; the red, No-Toil filter oil will make the Uni air filters fall apart.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #49512
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Per Spuds review, I have purchased a green No-Toil kit. I used it many years ago and am looking forward to trying it again.
Good for you, Teach. However, you don't need to buy the No-Toil Cleaner; you can buy Oxi-Clean, or any other "oxygen cleaner" from your local grocery store. The active ingredient in the No-Toil Cleaner is sodium percarbonate, which you can buy for $1/pound at the local dollar store. In contrast, the No-Toil cleaner sells for $8/pound. You only need 2 ounces of sodium percarbonate and a gallon of water to clean your No-Toil air filters in the kitchen sink. Therefore, you can clean one, or several air filters for 16 cents, without needing to use any harsh, smelly solvents.

Since the No-Toil Evolution filter oil has a water carrier, I oil my air filters inside my home, and I clean them in the kitchen sink any time I please. I don't have to worry about toxic fumes or the disposing of inflammable solvents. I pour the dirty water down the sink after my oil filters are cleaned.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #49513
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsa1 View Post
Is your 30 bucks power steereing cooler still working fine ? Where can I find one ?
I installed my $30 oil cooler before the 2012 riding season, and it worked perfectly all year. You can read my installation thread at the following link.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781962



Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #49514
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer
 
mendoteach's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Mendocino, NorCal
Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Good for you, Teach. However, you don't need to buy the No-Toil Cleaner; you can buy Oxi-Clean, or any other "oxygen cleaner" from your local grocery store. The active ingredient in the No-Toil Cleaner is sodium percarbonate, which you can buy for $1/pound at the local dollar store. In contrast, the No-Toil cleaner sells for $8/pound. You only need 2 ounces of sodium percarbonate and a gallon of water to clean your No-Toil air filters in the kitchen sink. Therefore, you can clean one, or several air filters for 16 cents, without needing to use any harsh, smelly solvents.

Since the No-Toil Evolution filter oil has a water carrier, I oil my air filters inside my home, and I clean them in the kitchen sink any time I please. I don't have to worry about toxic fumes or the disposing of inflammable solvents. I pour the dirty water down the sink after my oil filters are cleaned.

Spud

Thanks for the cleaning tip. Will pick some up tomorrow.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #49515
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider
 
Mossy-Back's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
+1, but ya know, in the typical Japanese tradition, it kinda looks like they copied the geomerty of this:



Sure nuff:

CRF250L / Husky TE610e 2000
rake: 27.35 / 28
Trail: 113 mm / 114mm
WB: 56.9 / 59.1
Seat H: 34.7 / 35
wt: 320 / 343
GND CL: 10 / 11
Yeah, but Husky's are $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
Im waiting on Yamaha to release a WR450R. thats where my moneys gonna go!!
I would love it if Honda made a street legal CRF450 with a slightly shorter seat height than the XRL
__________________
Evan
2013 Husqvarna Strada
'93 XR650L (Gone, but missed)
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014